Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Given Quadir values things that aren't conducive to winning, Judah's game isn't conducive to winning, Bell's attitude isn't conducive to winning, Taylor's shooting isn't conducive to winning, Starling's inconsistency isn't conducive to winning, having 4 unplayable centers isn't conducive to winning, and Maliq not getting shots isn't conducive to winning, it's a miracle we ever win a game.
That literally made me dizzy.

Playing forward at Pratt Community College, averaging about 15.3 ppg. Shoots 34% behind the 3-point line. 70% of FT and about three rebounds per game. These stats are not crazy, but they are not terrible either. But there is one other JUCO guard who is lighting it up and who we are familiar with...
Shooting 28.9% from 3 in 10 conference games. 2.3 rebs in conference. If you are 6'5 and have High-Major D1 athleticism in JUCO and managing 2.3 boards in 30mpg then I don't want you on my team.

We should be looking a guys who produced at mid majors over guys at majors with high upside who haven't produced. Creighton signed its PG from Utah State and apparently their NIL was terrible. Guys who are good at that level want to move up.

His field goal and three point shooting is 38% and 32%. His assists to turnovers is 2.8 to 2.3. Again, nothing to write home about. I think there will be better options out there. Last game he shot 18% from the floor. He’d fit right in with our current shooters.
He's in a rough patch right now...11-48 from the field, 5-31 from 3 in his past 4 games. Woof.

Prior to this stretch, he was 122-270 (45.2%) from the field, 74-171 (43.3%) from 3. He's a much better shooter than any of our guys, outside of Bell perhaps. We need shooters like this. Not sure he's the answer at PG though.

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Ducharme depending on who all leaves but he certainly can't be the main transfer we bring in. He had some very real limitations on tape in high school so I'm not surprised he hasn't done much yet, but I do think there was some solid scoring instincts there. He made more sense when we were exclusively a zone team though.

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Ducharme depending on who all leaves but he certainly can't be the main transfer we bring in. He had some very real limitations on tape in high school so I'm not surprised he hasn't done much yet, but I do think there was some solid scoring instincts there. He made more sense when we were exclusively a zone team though.
To me, Ducharme seems redundant with Moore - another young unproven shooter - and Moore has higher upside from what I've seen. And given we have Starling, Westry, Copeland, Cuffe and Moore -- all or most of which I would think are likely to stay -- I hope Red sticks to seeking an All-ACC caliber guard who can run point and shoot, but of course like you said it depends on who leaves.

I was looking at the mid-major point guards with the most assists who have one year of eligibility remaining.
I would think that most of these guys would jump at a decent NIL offer.
Drew Thelwell - Morehead State RS Jr
Jaquan Carlos - Hofstra Jr
Alvaro Cardenas - San Jose State Jr
Donovan Dent - New Mexico So
Upgrading this position next season will be huge for any chance of success.
Since we have Cope who is a budding star, I hope he stays, I wonder if there are any portal bigs who can move the program forward. We need depth there.

I was looking at the mid-major point guards with the most assists who have one year of eligibility remaining.
I would think that most of these guys would jump at a decent NIL offer.
Drew Thelwell - Morehead State RS Jr
Jaquan Carlos - Hofstra Jr
Alvaro Cardenas - San Jose State Jr
Donovan Dent - New Mexico So
Upgrading this position next season will be huge for any chance of success.
If Dent wanted to come here it’s a no brainer. Kid is one of the best PGs in the country.

Cope is great in a 3 guard lineup but not as the primary ball handler. He will need to work his butt off in the offseason (better ball protection, cut back on the unnecessary flashy play, work on jumper). All that being said, in crunch time, I definitely prefer the ball in his hands than in Judah or JJ's.

To me, Ducharme seems redundant with Moore - another young unproven shooter - and Moore has higher upside from what I've seen. And given we have Starling, Westry, Copeland, Cuffe and Moore -- all or most of which I would think are likely to stay -- I hope Red sticks to seeking an All-ACC caliber guard who can run point and shoot, but of course like you said it depends on who leaves.
While this is true, again depending on who all leaves, I wouldn't mind having a couple roster spots spent on theoretical good shooters. Fair point though.

I always though Ducharme may have been a bit underrated to be honest. He averaged 18ppg in the EYBL. Not sure why he didn't play this year much, but he's more similar to Chris Bell than he is Moore. If Taylor leaves like everyone expects it might be worth replacing him with Ducharme.

Also another throwback name that we may take a look at is…Zion Cruz. He’s at JC and I’m sure will be looking to get back into D1. Didnt do much at Depaul but the talent is there
It’s crazy that, at one time, there was hope that Dior & Zion were going to spend their senior year together at Oak Hill before becoming SU’s starting backcourt as freshman last season & now each is playing JUCO ball.

It’s crazy that, at one time, there was hope that Dior & Zion were going to spend their senior year together at Oak Hill before becoming SU’s starting backcourt as freshman last season & now each is playing JUCO ball.
The whole AAU system needs to be fixed. These kids with talent get ruined by the time they make it to college. Even the ones that make it to college, many have no idea how to play basketball. They can play one on one, but they have no idea how to play the game.

The whole AAU system needs to be fixed. These kids with talent get ruined by the time they make it to college. Even the ones that make it to college, many have no idea how to play basketball. They can play one on one, but they have no idea how to play the game.
The European, and Australian players at a young age join Club teams for coaching, and training. That's why their players Men and Women are fundamentally sound.