Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Well, if Judah is not here, you can't only run with 3 guards on the roster - JJ, Copeland and Choppa. You need one more PG. Guys get hurt.
Chance Westry. I don’t know why everyone keeps dismissing him. I get that he was injured this year but isn’t it too early to write him off? He’s a really good playmaker and passer and was reportedly impressing in the fall practices before the injury.
Also: Kyle Cuffe.

Last edited:
Chance Westry. I don’t know why everyone keeps dismissing him. I get that he was injured this year but isn’t it too early to write him off? He’s a really good playmaker and passer and was reportedly impressing in the fall practices before the injury.
Also: Kyle Cuffe.
It's perfectly fair to be skeptical of Westry's ability & durability given he's played less than 10 games over two years of college ball, including zero at SU and a high-school career riddled with injury as well.

The upside is there, but projecting high impact next year is a risk the staff can't afford to take, or they may end up right back in the current situation lacking depth.

It's perfectly fair to be skeptical of Westry's ability & durability given he's played less than 10 games over two years of college ball, including zero at SU and a high-school career riddled with injury as well.
The Carlos Rodon of Syracuse Basketball. Rodon has stupid good stuff, but he either loses his mechanics or hurts himself trying to harness it. When he's on, he's a Cy Young quality starter, but that's generally not the case.

no clue and I'm not sure if these position fills will be "Starting caliber" but was confirmed they will be aiming for depth and talent on all three positions and will recruit each one. Red has been extremely displeased about having to run a 6 man rotation right now because of injuries and lack of quality depth
Thank you for the update. I can imagine he's frustrated considering how many guys he started with.

For the potential center, pass along the name Yaxel Lendeborg. And then I will stop posting about him. :)

What about a guy like Khalil Brantley as La Salle? His shooting doesn't seem that good. A pass-first PG and a 37+% 3PT shooter will probably be difficult to find.

JJ is going to play some point next year. Doubt there will be a portal PG that contributes regularly. Havent heard there will be a PG add yet
PG by committee, not sure if that's a recipe for success

can confirm that they are going to go after a portal guard this off season. They are going after 1 guard, 1 small forward and 1 center apparently.

Did they have any specific targets in mind? Not asking for names just curious if there was players they were hoping to have a shot with come the end of the season

We need a starting PG and a starting C in the portal. I would take one of those mid-major type heady PGs that shoot around 40% from 3 and is a true leader on the court. Besides a center that is our biggest need. We need a leader on the court we don't have one currently.

The Carlos Rodon of Syracuse Basketball. Rodon has stupid good stuff, but he either loses his mechanics or hurts himself trying to harness it. When he's on, he's a Cy Young quality starter, but that's generally not the case.
He got bombed by the Marlins today and his fastball is losing velocity. He could be the next Kei Igawa bust for the NYY.

I know that he's probably not worth it but man if he has somehow matured Dior Johnson still has the talent. Would be surprising if he has to the point where Red would offer though based on what was said on here back in the day by people who know.

I also don't recall if the DV charges were found false or dropped for other reasons. That would have a significant impact on it of course.

I know that he's probably not worth it but man if he has somehow matured Dior Johnson still has the talent. Would be surprising if he has to the point where Red would offer though based on what was said on here back in the day by people who know.

I also don't recall if the DV charges were found false or dropped for other reasons. That would have a significant impact on it of course.
Hell No

He’s the last guy we need on our roster. We already had one cancer on this years team, we don’t need another one next year. The kids history.

He’s the last guy we need on our roster. We already had one cancer on this years team, we don’t need another one next year. The kids history.
Hence why I said if he has somehow matured. I see some juco highlights and am enjoying living in the past while I sample the benefits from working with a pot farm. LMAO

I wonder if Fran Brown has any connections to DJ Wagner (Kentucky) who’s from Camden? He hasn’t been that big a factor for Kentucky this year. Jackson (Kansas) is a kid we recruited out of Philly that could also end up in the portal. Kansas is getting crushed by Houston (65-38). They spent a lot of money to put their roster together and have been beaten very badly by teams on the road.

I wonder if Fran Brown has any connections to DJ Wagner (Kentucky) who’s from Camden? He hasn’t been that big a factor for Kentucky this year. Jackson (Kansas) is a kid we recruited out of Philly that could also end up in the portal. Kansas is getting crushed by Houston (65-38). They spent a lot of money to put their roster together and have been beaten very badly by teams on the road.
I think DJ Wagner is going to try to go pro but if he stays in college, he’ll make much more at UK than here.

Not sure if I would want Elmarko Jackson because we need a starting PG. He wasn’t really interested in us out of HS.

We need a starting PG and a starting C in the portal. I would take one of those mid-major type heady PGs that shoot around 40% from 3 and is a true leader on the court. Besides a center that is our biggest need. We need a leader on the court we don't have one currently.
40% from 3 is great. We will settle for 35% and be happy. As long as the guy can handle the ball and get it to the right people at the right times.