Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Shooting has gotten better every year. The only concern for me is the turnovers.
That’s a scoring guard, not a pg though. Wonder how strong he is defensively?

Reynolds is terrific.

He'd be a great "get," if we can land him.

And based upon what I'm seeing tonight and in other games, he would be a much better fit or what we're trying to do then an outbound guard he'd be replacing.

Problem is, he is going to test the NBA waters first. Like Michael Corelone in the first Godfather, we can't wait.
Tricky spot for sure with a kid declaring. Good news is there will PLENTY of pgs available soon and we got a ton of playing time to offer

Tricky spot for sure with a kid declaring. Good news is there will PLENTY of pgs available soon and we got a ton of playing time to offer
I'm hearing from a good source that there is already mutual interest (yes tampering is the name of the game). I don't think Reynolds is getting drafted unless he dominates at the combine. He will have plenty of suiters in the portal though.

Last edited:
He has to become a point guard. SU can offer him that possibility. He’s not big enough to be a shooting guard in the NBA. He is really quick with the ball in his hands. With Bell and Reynolds on the court, our bigs would have a lot of room to operate. There would be a lot of driving lanes for JJ and Chance too.

He has to become a point guard. SU can offer him that possibility. He’s not big enough to be a shooting guard in the NBA. He is really quick with the ball in his hands. With Bell and Reynolds on the court, our bigs would have a lot of room to operate. There would be a lot of driving lanes for JJ and Chance too.
A lineup with Reynolds, Moore, and Bell has potential for insane shooting. Not sure if there is enough ball handling and playmaking with those three but it could be fun to watch in spurts.

Problem is, he is going to test the NBA waters first. Like Michael Corelone in the first Godfather, we can't wait.
Bummer. I thought he was definitely gonna portal and that we’d be one of the leaders to land him.

Ah, ok, that makes some sense that he'd portal. I was wondering why in the NIL world a Harvard guy would want to move.
How about all the Stanford guys--Ingram and Ryan at UNC, O'Connell at NCSt., et al.

Meaningless. You can be a great pt guard and play with a bunch of stiffs. I'm not saying I want
this kid. Just that I don't hold a bad team against any one player.
It may be, but he had a higher turnover rate than Judah or Copeland and we didn't/don't like them. It's not a guy that will make us better.

It may be, but he had a higher turnover rate than Judah or Copeland and we didn't/don't like them. It's not a guy that will make us better.
As I said, I wasn't talking about this kid or any other kid. Just that I wouldn't hold a teams record against any one kid.

We're only getting one starting caliber guard, and given Judah and Q are leaving, he needs to be able to drive the car (and drive it better than it was driven last year). Lots of people have complained about our recent track record of converting combo guards into point guards. Reynolds is a really good player who would make us better, but he plays off ball at St Joes even when the starting PG is out and averaged 2.3, 2.5 and 2.7 assists in about 35 mins the last 3 years. His shooting and scoring are sorely needed. JJ has shown he can push the ball but can't be a PG.

I've only watched 16 minutes of basketball from Reynolds so he could have Magic Johnson or Curry potential for all I know, but I guess I'm wondering if people think he could take the keys from the outgoing players (and put your emotions or dislike aside when analyzing this) and help transform this group to where we want them after another year of missing the tournament.

What about a prodigal son coming home?
Yes, if you’re talking about KR. But it’s probably a pipe dream. And he’s still struggling with his shot.

We're only getting one starting caliber guard, and given Judah and Q are leaving, he needs to be able to drive the car (and drive it better than it was driven last year). Lots of people have complained about our recent track record of converting combo guards into point guards. Reynolds is a really good player who would make us better, but he plays off ball at St Joes even when the starting PG is out and averaged 2.3, 2.5 and 2.7 assists in about 35 mins the last 3 years. His shooting and scoring are sorely needed. JJ has shown he can push the ball but can't be a PG.

I've only watched 16 minutes of basketball from Reynolds so he could have Magic Johnson or Curry potential for all I know, but I guess I'm wondering if people think he could take the keys from the outgoing players (and put your emotions or dislike aside when analyzing this) and help transform this group to where we want them after another year of missing the tournament.
I don't know who else is out there that we can get. But I loved what I saw from Reynolds. He doesn't answer all of our needs. True. But he makes us a much better team. If it ends with him as the guy, I won't be disappointed. If it is someone else, they better be good.

I don't know who else is out there that we can get. But I loved what I saw from Reynolds. He doesn't answer all of our needs. True. But he makes us a much better team. If it ends with him as the guy, I won't be disappointed. If it is someone else, they better be good.

It wouldn’t upset me. I like the freshman kid from Harvard. He could get a lot better as a sophomore, and he could be the answer at point for more than one season.

What about a prodigal son coming home?
Call me salty but there's no way he should still have eligibility. He's been in college four years and was not on campus when COVID hit.