Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Does anyone else think [fear?] that the plan might be to go with the following lineup?

PG - JJ
SG - Choppa
SF - Bell
PF - Freeman
C - Brown

...and that the goal [with high probability of losing Judah, Copeland, etc.] is to get:
  1. A backup guard, to bolster depth
  2. A backup forward, to bolster depth
  3. A backup big, to improve what we have in McLeod / Patterson / Carey

I think the plan is to get the best possible players in here that we can.

If we don't, it's either because we're not able to pay them enough money, or our name just ain't what it used to be.

We just won 20 regular season games for the first time in 10 years. The problem might be bigger than Autry.

Another thing I like about him is that he has the 5 player all defensive team in the CAA this season.

He is apparently an excellent man defender

He’s an interesting prospect.

Had 10 pts 9 assists at Cameron vs Duke this year.

Definitely can get in trouble with being trapped and a hard hedge but isn’t turnover prone either. He had some solid offensive options around him at Hofstra.

Maybe we shouldn’t hyperventilate until we actually see guys visit. There’s a bunch of guys out there with 20 schools attached to their name. Some guys do that to bump their rep. We also need a backup PG and he would be fine for it.
I think the backup PG is Chance Westry.

Does anyone else think [fear?] that the plan might be to go with the following lineup?

PG - JJ
SG - Choppa
SF - Bell
PF - Freeman
C - Brown

...and that the goal [with high probability of losing Judah, Copeland, etc.] is to get:
JJ isn’t a point guard by any stretch.

I think the backup PG is Chance Westry.

If healthy and fully ready to go he’s possibly the starter I would think too at some point but that is the big question mark to me. A kid like Carlos to play the point with Chance? Or is Chance purely # 13 on the roster who becomes a top 5 player on the team or ends up taking up a roster spot? To me you have to find a way to recruit over Chance given the risk. If things go well for him then you manage the minutes as best you can to utilize the talent

Another thing I like about him is that he has the 5 player all defensive team in the CAA this season.

He is apparently an excellent man defender
Maybe this Carlos kid along with Reynolds? But what does that mean for JJ, Westry, Choppa, and Cuffe? That’s a lot of guards.

If healthy and fully ready to go he’s possibly the starter I would think too at some point but that is the big question mark to me. A kid like Carlos to play the point with Chance? Or is Chance purely # 13 on the roster who becomes a top 5 player on the team or ends up taking up a roster spot?
I don’t think we’ll go into the season penciling him in as the starting PG. That would be a stupid risk. But I see him as the 6th or 7th man, similar to Q last season. A number of insiders on here have said that Chance is a key part of the plan for next season.

PG - JJ
SG - Choppa
SF - Bell
PF - Freeman
C - Brown

Yes. Hope in May that I was worrying for no reason but right now I am.

I don’t think we’ll go into the season penciling him in as the starting PG. That would be a stupid risk. But I see him as the 6th or 7th man, similar to Q last season. A number of insiders on here have said that Chance is a key part of the plan for next season.

I think it’s sketchy to pencil him into any role until he can prove he’s healthy….

PG - JJ
SG - Choppa
SF - Bell
PF - Freeman
C - Brown

NO! Red was a PG he has to know JJ is nothing close to a PG.

PG - JJ
SG - Choppa
SF - Bell
PF - Freeman
C - Brown

No.

...and neither is anyone else on the existing roster.

So -- what's the plan?
Nobody connected with the team is going to tell you the plan so you can post it on the interwebs. Red was quiet about things last year and expect he will be this year. There is no advantage to recruiting in the media.

That said, I agree w/ others that they will look for a starting quality center and pg and then the best they can get at F and G depending on who else leaves or acts in a way that ties the coach's hands.

Just a guess based on the noise we’ve been hearing about stuff behind the scenes but I would expect us to target an upperclassman guard like Reynolds, Greer, Auburn guy (not specifically those guys but just a few examples) vs. a younger guy like Mack. I would guess Red is looking for someone that can bring experience/leadership. Just a hunch.

PG - JJ
SG - Choppa
SF - Bell
PF - Freeman
C - Brown

No That is 100% not the goal. The number 1 goal is a top flight pg.