Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

If you don’t come up with NIL, you can forget about winning championships. UCONN picked up two major pieces this year and without them, they wouldn’t even be talked about. It’s the new game. You better come up with the money or accept being just a twenty win team. Older teams are winning, not great recruiting classes. Ask Kentucky how that worked out? What has Duke done lately with their talented freshman.
You want NIL $ and great players. Get Adam Weitsman and Kent Syverud to play nice together again.

I'm sure Adam would like his picture taken with several of his boys he would be paying A LOT of money to along with sitting floor side with ICE -T.

I just don’t understand why our NIL is behind GTown, Nova and UConn. I get being behind Texas but c’mon, we have a massive fanbase and rich alums. Let’s get it together.

I agree I don't understand how we are able to find tons of NIL for football but the pockets are dry for basketball? Seems like that is a built in excuse that is going to be used.

You want NIL $ and great players. Get Adam Weitsman and Kent Syverud to play nice together again.

I'm sure Adam would like his picture taken with several of his boys he would be paying A LOT of money to along with sitting floor side with ICE -T.
We have NIL money to blow, no idea why we have to bring the "pay for friends" guy back.

For the record our NIL was worse when he was sitting next to the bench. So was our record.

I agree I don't understand how we are able to find tons of NIL for football but the pockets are dry for basketball? Seems like that is a built in excuse that is going to be used.
I think all the NIL fundraising efforts is for football because of the new coach

He might have to cut some guys loose. They have 6 freshmen coming in and rumor is Reed might forgo the draft to come back. Not sure Boogie is planning to go there to sit the bench, but what do I know.
Maybe a platoon system would work?

You mean when he played Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis about 15 min each in the FF and let the Harrison twins play 30?
You mean he's already tried that?

Being behind schools like GTOWN, Nova, Uconn wouldn’t be all that surprising or egregious on our end IMHO. they’re basketball first and foremost schools, their boosters and nil opportunities look at basketball first, and foremost.
So should we. I love football but we are a historic basketball program.

This makes perfect sense to me. Syracuse athletics can't have unlimited resources, to some extent there has to be a competition between sports for dollars. If football gets more there is probably less for basketball.

This makes perfect sense to me. Syracuse athletics can't have unlimited resources, to some extent there has to be a competition between sports for dollars. If football gets more there is probably less for basketball.
If I was Red and he has the option and can convince donors, I’d overspend the first couple of years to help get the program back on top and build it up (with the right players who fit of course) and then it will be attractive in and of itself beyond NIL. Especially if he can make the style of play and offense appealing. Players will want to come here as long as the NIL is competitive. UConn, Kansas, UNC, Duke etc are all desirable places to play because they have a history of winning. We used to be one of those programs. If we’d overspent to keep Jesse last year, Red probably would have had a tournament team his first season.

Sure, they might.

Or they might stick to the pattern of pursuing guys they have ties to, and then trying to pivot if / when those options fall through.

Which doesn't inspire confidence about landing a "top flight" option.

We'll see.
JB is gone. GMac is gone.

Straughn is here.

I totally believe things will be different this off-season than we’re used to.

As much as we love Maliq, if he’s the starting center, we are in trouble. No matter who is around him. He is a 4. All this crap started with Marek doing all he could at the 5. Get back to real basketball this yr. And McLeod isn’t the answer. I was hopeful as anyone with him, but eh.

JB is gone. GMac is gone.

Straughn is here.

I totally believe things will be different this off-season than we’re used to.

Here's hoping.

But the reality is that college basketball OVERALL is different than we're used to. It is looking more and more like rosters are fluid year-after-year, with limited continuity of personnel. And it remains to be seen whether this staff can build effectively through the portal.

Last year's squad was deficient. Next year's badly needs a quality lead guard, a competent big, and a versatile wing / shooter.

There are lots of players in the portal, but lots of competition out there. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Here's hoping.

But the reality is that college basketball OVERALL is different than we're used to. It is looking more and more like rosters are fluid year-after-year, with limited continuity of personnel. And it remains to be seen whether this staff can build effectively through the portal.

Last year's squad was deficient. Next year's badly needs a quality lead guard, a competent big, and a versatile wing / shooter.

There are lots of players in the portal, but lots of competition out there. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
The staff changes are going to be impactful - both coming and going. They have had some time to plan for this.

I expect we will have some portal news soon.

This off season was always going to be a major test of Red's vision and ability to lead the program. If nothing else, it's going to be interesting to watch how it unfolds.