Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

would still love a better big than estrella. He didn’t look good in his limited minutes this yr. I don’t really believe the 6’11 program height either.

Wasn’t JB suppose to help with NIL fundraising and then like 1-2 months later he went to doing tv work lol
And if that’s all we’re doing, it’s an issue. JB obviously will help but he’s been focused on other endeavors. A full-time hire that does so much more than calling on donors is what we need.

This is the role: the why
Villanova
St. john’s
Duke
Texas Tech

Last edited:
Reynolds, Bell, and the Starling from the second half of last season might be the best shooting team we've ever had, and they'd be a lot more athletic than Girard, Boeheim, and Swider, the current best shooting team we've ever had.

are you sure about that?

Buddy/Cole team shot:
.451 from field.
.498 2’s
.377 3’s
.737 FT’s.

The underrated and much maligned
Uncle Drew/Gillon team shot:
.458 field.
.513 2’s.
.379 3’s.
.739 FT’s.

But - here’s the correct answer:
(Except for FT’s, AO & RickJack LOL)

Wes/Andy team:
.516 field.
.517 2’s.
.391 3’s.

.677 FT’s.

are you sure about that?

Buddy/Cole team shot:
.451 from field.
.498 2’s
.377 3’s
.737 FT’s.

.458 field.
.513 2’s.
.379 3’s.
.739 FT’s.

Wes/Andy team:
.516 field.
.517 2’s.
.391 3’s.

.677 FT’s.
I think I’d probably go with the Gillon team honestly. Gillon, White, and Lydon were all elite shooters and jacked a ton of them up. The Wes/Andy team is 3rd partially due to the era and also just the better all around skill; they didn’t rely on 3’s as much as the other two did and tended to take higher quality shots as a result.

And if that’s all we’re doing, it’s an issue. JB obviously will help but he’s been focused on other endeavors. A full-time hire that does so much more than calling on donors is what we need.

This is the role: the why
Villanova
St. john’s
Duke
Texas Tech
JB is raising money for NIL and the AD. He can do that and do TV at the same time. It’s a PR gig. It’s not like he’s in charge of the main collective. That’s Mark Hayes who happens to have a degree in SM and spent a large portion of his career working for the Crunch.

Is he technically the GM? I really don’t know, but man there’s a lot in this thread being thrown around that is not accurate which could simply be cleared up by a quick google search.

Also it’s still March. Red will get players. I’m sure some won’t like the players we get, but the tournament isn’t even over and the freak outs here are getting ridiculous.

are you sure about that?

Buddy/Cole team shot:
.451 from field.
.498 2’s
.377 3’s
.737 FT’s.

.458 field.
.513 2’s.
.379 3’s.
.739 FT’s.

Wes/Andy team:
.516 field.
.517 2’s.
.391 3’s.

.677 FT’s.

Sorry, I know I’m not supposed to derail threads, but that 2010 team would have won a chip if Arinze doesn’t get hurt.

Dead KSU team coming off 2OT, injured MSU team, worse Duke title team ever.

Anyway, to this thread, I have faith in Red. Reynolds and Estrella would be good gets. I’m sure lead guard is key.

Pending Maliq being more aggressive on O, I think there is real opportunity to put him in the Draymond/4 on 3 role that Red dabbled in towards the end of last year.

I’m hoping with the final pieces, this team will naturally have better passing and movement.

Maliq cannot be guarding other team’s center for 35mpg all year.

Need JJ to get better and Chance to stay healthy.

JB is raising money for NIL and the AD. He can do that and do TV at the same time. It’s a PR gig. It’s not like he’s in charge of the main collective. That’s Mark Hayes who happens to have a degree in SM and spent a large portion of his career working for the Crunch.

Is he technically the GM? I really don’t know, but man there’s a lot in this thread being thrown around that is not accurate which could simply be cleared up by a quick google search.

Also it’s still March. Red will get players. I’m sure some won’t like the players we get, but the tournament isn’t even over and the freak outs here are getting ridiculous.
I agree. Yesterday at noon, JB spent time with Melo who met with fans at an opening after renovations at a restaurant/ice cream restaurant in Skaneateles. I imagine spending time with Melo was definitely assisting the program. No one has promoted the Syracuse brand nor probably ever will, more than JB. This is in addition to the media blitz he made yesterday promoting Syracuse.

So many people really stretch to try to blame JB for anything they decide to criticize with no facts but just negative conjecture on their part. It’s beyond logic and pretty sad because a little bit of reading, watching news reports, research would show just a small part of what JB does for the program and community.

I agree. Yesterday at noon, JB spent time with Melo who met with fans at an opening after renovations at a restaurant/ice cream restaurant in Skaneateles. I imagine spending time with Melo was definitely assisting the program. No one has promoted the Syracuse brand nor probably ever will, more than JB. This is in addition to the media blitz he made yesterday promoting Syracuse.

So many people really stretch to try to blame JB for anything they decide to criticize with no facts but just negative conjecture on their part. It’s beyond logic and pretty sad because a little bit of reading, watching news reports, research would show just a small part of what JB does for the program and community.
I get the criticisms of the last few years of his coaching and roster management, but to say he’s not fulfilling his duties because he’s broadcasting games is just not accurate.

And Melo isn’t up here for the good of his heart or to just get a cone. He’s been more involved than ever behinds the scenes.

Sorry, I know I’m not supposed to derail threads, but that 2010 team would have won a chip if Arinze doesn’t get hurt.

Dead KSU team coming off 2OT, injured MSU team, worse Duke title team ever.

Anyway, to this thread, I have faith in Red. Reynolds and Estrella would be good gets. I’m sure lead guard is key.

Pending Maliq being more aggressive on O, I think there is real opportunity to put him in the Draymond/4 on 3 role that Red dabbled in towards the end of last year.

I’m hoping with the final pieces, this team will naturally have better passing and movement.

Maliq cannot be guarding other team’s center for 35mpg all year.

Need JJ to get better and Chance to stay healthy.
Plus, they were the est team in the country by far.

I think I’d probably go with the Gillon team honestly. Gillon, White, and Lydon were all elite shooters and jacked a ton of them up. The Wes/Andy team is 3rd partially due to the era and also just the better all around skill; they didn’t rely on 3’s as much as the other two did and tended to take higher quality shots as a result.
Interesting narrative but the data doesn't really tell that story

2010 Wes/Andy - 7 made 3's a game

2017 Uncle Drew/Gillon/Lydon - 8.8 made 3's a game

2021 Buddy/Joe/Cole - 9.1 made 3's a game

All within 2 made 3's of each other with the Boeheim crew leading the pack, not Uncle Drew's team

I am going to tie this into the thread by mentioning some of our best offensive teams, like the 3 above, all had combo guards who could shoot as the primary ball handler but also had a forward with good ball control (not necessarily handling) as well.

Between having a 'big guard' spend time at the 3 spot (JJ/Westry) and Brown being a good facilitator, I am less worried about getting a pure point as long as they are strong with the ball in the mold of Scoop, Judah, Gillon. GIve me a lead guard who is a good shooter to pair with JJ, Cuffe, Westry and Choppa

Interesting narrative but the data doesn't really tell that story

2010 Wes/Andy - 7 made 3's a game

2017 Uncle Drew/Gillon/Lydon - 8.8 made 3's a game

2021 Buddy/Joe/Cole - 9.1 made 3's a game

All within 2 made 3's of each other with the Boeheim crew leading the pack, not Uncle Drew's team

I am going to tie this into the thread by mentioning some of our best offensive teams, like the 3 above, all had combo guards who could shoot as the primary ball handler but also had a forward with good ball control (not necessarily handling) as well.

Between having a 'big guard' spend time at the 3 spot (JJ/Westry) and Brown being a good facilitator, I am less worried about getting a pure point as long as they are strong with the ball in the mold of Scoop, Judah, Gillon. GIve me a lead guard who is a good shooter to pair with JJ, Cuffe, Westry and Choppa
The Wes/Andy team was at roughly a 30% 3 point rate vs. the Gillon team being over 40% and the Swider team being a decimal under 40% I believe.

Or put another way: the Wes/Andy team scored about a quarter of their points from 3 point land vs. the Gillon team being around 35%.

Edit: regarding what we should be trying to add, I agree we need shooting.

Last edited:
would still love a better big than estrella. He didn’t look good in his limited minutes this yr. I don’t really believe the 6’11 program height either.
Don’t get the love for this kid. He’s done nothing of note. Is he interested?

I really want Estrella. Perfect fit of talent, expectations, opportunity and presumably, price.
I’m not sure about price. The rumor was he got $400,000 to sign with Tennessee.

As much as we love Maliq, if he’s the starting center, we are in trouble. No matter who is around him. He is a 4. All this crap started with Marek doing all he could at the 5. Get back to real basketball this yr. And McLeod isn’t the answer. I was hopeful as anyone with him, but eh.
Maliq's fine as the starting 5 and is even a plus there.

The issue was he didn't play the 5 with a legit 4 beside him, and didn't have a legit backup.

Freeman and Estrella solve that.

Kid can really shoot it. He looks like a three. He can put it on the floor a little. Strong body. They did use him going high low on the block. He’s good in transition too. He’s not a big or point guard.

Would love him as a Bell replacement. If Bell is staying would this kid come for a bench role or will he have better opportunities?