Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Dubar would be an upgrade over Bell IMO so i doubt it happens. It appears Bell would be locked in there.
He's bigger than Bell and a better rebounder. If he came here we would have to convince him to come off the bench (Browns projected minutes) I envision him backing up the 3/4 maybe you small ball a bit with him as long as Donnie is also out there. Imagine Bell and Dubar at the same time with Eddie demanding post attention.

Regarding Mintz... how does recruiting a PG in the portal work if Mintz hasn't given us a final decision? Of course we can reach out to guys, but what are the coaches telling possible replacements if Mintz isn't 100% leaving? This whole portal thing is so messy.

It works like this. Mintz will not be back.

He's bigger than Bell and a better rebounder. If he came here we would have to convince him to come off the bench (Browns projected minutes) I envision him backing up the 3/4 maybe you small ball a bit with him as long as Donnie is also out there. Imagine Bell and Dubar at the same time with Eddie demanding post attention.
I like him. I think he would help us, but I would expect he finds a school that will allow him to start.

Dubar intrigues me more than Carlos. Especially with Brown in the portal. He put up pretty good numbers in a lower level league but he was also the focal point of other defenses. At SU defenses would not be able to focus on him as much. He would seem like a good fit to replace Brown on the frontline with Donnie and Eddie.
Carlos is a solid player and would be able to help but there are other guys out their I'd prefer.
Agreed, I just don't know if we have a role available that will interest him. I agree with Cusefan0307 that he appears to be an upgrade over Bell and I just don't see us recruiting over him right now but maybe I'll be proven wrong.

The whole portal/NIL thing is really more entertaining than actually
watching the games play out during the season. The gnashing of
teeth, the sweaty palms, the ongoing speculation of who is
going and who is coming. This is HIGH DRAMA at it's best!!
And we get to be part of the action and don't have to pay a dime
to watch it all play out.

All the world’s a stage
And all the men and women merely players
They have their exits and their entrances
And one man in his time plays many parts.

For those who contribute to NIL, there are a few dimes here and there.

If Dubar is an upgrade over Bell, especially with regard to rebounding/defense, then I would hope that the coaches wouldn’t hesitate to pursue with the intention to let the best players play. Anything less is a good way to have a short coaching career (as a P4 head coach at least).

If Dubar is an upgrade over Bell, especially with regard to rebounding/defense, then I would hope that the coaches wouldn’t hesitate to pursue with the intention to let the best players play. Anything less is a good way to have a short coaching career (as a P4 head coach at least).
I find Bell an interesting one. The coaches (first Boeheim, now Red) seem to really believe in him. We did see last year some of the reason for that, shooting the 3 at a 42% clip. I just wish he would contribute more in other ways as well.

I’m all in on Dubar. Do we have any connections? Would be able to play the 3 or 4 and switching defender. Older athlete, 3 or 4 man rotation at the forward spot (Freeman/Dubar/Bell/Westry). Great insurance if Freeman or Westry struggle to acclimate, or if Bell doesn’t improve as a defender which I’m hoping he will. Like Justin Moore last year, would bring a veteran presence, which we lacked this year.

jordoo said:
It works like this. Mintz will not be back.
Great, thanks for that detailed explanation.

I wasn't intending to be snarky, but can see, in retrospect, how it could be interpreted that way. Sorry about that.

I just meant to convey that the staff has to be informing possible PG's that Mintz will not be back or they wouldn't be getting genuine interest.

I wasn't intending to be snarky, but can see, in retrospect, how it could be interpreted that way. Sorry about that.

I just meant to convey that the staff has to be informing possible PG's that Mintz will not be back or they wouldn't be getting genuine interest.
It's all good. Yeah, that's what I figured but if Mintz isn't coming back, why not have this formally announced? I mean, what's the point of holding back this info? The only thing I can think of is that because it's not 100% decided, and Mintz is keeping the door ever so slightly ajar just in case (even if he's 99% on moving on).

If I were a dude in the portal looking for a starting position, I don't think I'd choose anywhere that isn't 100% open, unless that's the best landing spot I can find. To be a fly on the wall for some of these discussions with recruits would be amazing.

Hopefully not, although Lampkin is in there and that article was written before we officially knew he was even visiting Syracuse. Carlos as a backup as fine. I don't see him as a P5 starter.
it was updated after the fact.

Well said. There was a recent On3 report where Jamie Shaw talked to a bunch of coaches, some of whom said the transfers into a program are getting more in NIL dollars than existing roster members and HS recruits.
This is an area where transparency would help a lot. Let's say, just as a hypothetical (I have zero inside info), Maliq really wants to stay and the coaches really want him to stay... But he knows he can maximize his earnings by portalling, and there's a real chance these next two years are his highest earning years. Anyone giving him good, honest advice will tell him to go get the money. The only way to do so is to go see what he gets offered.

On the other hand, if NIL was fully transparent and coaches could get involved openly, Red could say "We'll give you the average of the top 10 portal power forwards," or something like that - and maybe that's good enough to get him to stay. Almost like a franchise tag in football.

The lack of transparency is likely causing more movement.

I understand wanting to be a starter...but it's impossible for all portal kids to land on a team as a starter...right? Teams have 13 scholarships, not 5. And coaches don't play all 5 of their starters for 40min a game. So if you're a kid who is transferring, you have to understand that the team you end up on you might be the 6th or 7th guy. Once the music stops every kid needs a chair and not all chairs are in the starting lineup. I feel like Red should be able to bring in another 1 or 2 players that are really good and sell them that they are crucial pieces to the team but will come off the bench. If Bell is locked in as a starter, then our 6th man needs to be a solid transfer add that can play the 3/4 and get 25min per game...I hope.

This is an area where transparency would help a lot. Let's say, just as a hypothetical (I have zero inside info), Maliq really wants to stay and the coaches really want him to stay... But he knows he can maximize his earnings by portalling, and there's a real chance these next two years are his highest earning years. Anyone giving him good, honest advice will tell him to go get the money. The only way to do so is to go see what he gets offered.

On the other hand, if NIL was fully transparent and coaches could get involved openly, Red could say "We'll give you the average of the top 10 portal power forwards," or something like that - and maybe that's good enough to get him to stay. Almost like a franchise tag in football.

The lack of transparency is likely causing more movement.
I don't know, it could go both ways (as was discussed earlier in this thread). If everyone knows what each other is getting, you can get a lot of butt hurt from guys who think they should be getting more than someone else on the team. The thing about NIL (that probably gets lost) is that it's not always a reflection of how good a player is - there are are a variety of circumstances that impact what a guy gets offered.

Yes.
bored waiting GIF

I wonder if we're about to close the deal with a PG, but they wanted to be 100% sure Judah was gone before committing, so coaches leaked it to Waters? That would make sense to me.

I wondered that myself for a minute, but Judah moving on was no secret. It’s not like Mike Waters just found out this afternoon.