Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

I wondered that myself for a minute, but Judah moving on was no secret. It’s not like Mike Waters just found out this afternoon.
Right, but I could see a player coming in from elsewhere and his family/representative wanting to be 100% clear publicly. It would suck to transfer somewhere and then have a kid who everyone knew was leaving just go rogue and announce he's coming back. I could see someone in Judah's situation doing that if the NBA feedback isn't good.

Right, but I could see a player coming in from elsewhere and his family/representative wanting to be 100% clear publicly. It would suck to transfer somewhere and then have a kid who everyone knew was leaving just go rogue and announce he's coming back. I could see someone in Judah's situation doing that if the NBA feedback isn't good.

Yeah, I could totally see that.

Judah - but I haven’t made my decision yet!

Red - That’s OK. We just made it for you.

Ships are year to year and you already spent his NIL on someone new. A kid has to be welcomed back by the staff, so it would be the staff backing out on what they told the new guy. I find it highly unlikely but hey this is the new Wild West.

Yeah, I could totally see that.

Judah - but I haven’t made my decision yet!

Red - That’s OK. We just made it for you.
I would also bet Red gave him a heads up that this would happen. I mean, he's had about three weeks since the last game, two and a half since we turned down the NIT? Plenty of time to announce it on his terms.

Ships are year to year and you already spent his NIL on someone new. A kid has to be welcomed back by the staff, so it would be the staff backing out on what they told the new guy. I find it highly unlikely but hey this is the new Wild West.
Still awkward, and as the new guy you probably don't want the appearance that you pushed out the leading scorer.

I watched Malik Mack’s transfer portal video. He has a little Jalen Brunson in him with his paint pull ups. He’s really talented and would be perfect for us. I hope NIL is not the reason he doesn’t come here. He might be the missing piece for a very good team.

I wasn't intending to be snarky, but can see, in retrospect, how it could be interpreted that way. Sorry about that.

I just meant to convey that the staff has to be informing possible PG's that Mintz will not be back or they wouldn't be getting genuine interest.
Judah doesn't know what's happening with his draft possibility so he has to be non-committal to keep his options open. Red cannot let Judah hold him up for an answer until June while all the portal options sign elsewhere. Red did the only thing he could for the good of the program. He made the decision for Judah and moved on with recruiting targets in the portal.

I watched Malik Mack’s transfer portal video. He has a little Jalen Brunson in him with his paint pull ups. He’s really talented and would be perfect for us. I hope NIL is not the reason he doesn’t come here. He might be the missing piece for a very good team.

We had some last minute theatrics to get it done for Judah last year maybe it happens here too. Assuming Mack is a good teammate and not all out for himself as well. If not I’ll take maturity and a slight drop talent wise over another me first PG

Good to know. I'm not sure I've ever worked somewhere that has an actual rule which is why I used the word traditionally. I don't have that rule at my company but we operate under the assumption. (also not in NY)
Right. It was considered “bad form” to discuss such things.

I find Bell an interesting one. The coaches (first Boeheim, now Red) seem to really believe in him. We did see last year some of the reason for that, shooting the 3 at a 42% clip. I just wish he would contribute more in other ways as well.
I was not a fan last year or beginning of this year. Now I am bullish on him. I think he sees the light of what he needs to do to play beyond college. He exhibited glimpses. An increase in rebounding and defense, and an evolving pull up game, will put him on NBA scout’s radar, as at least a possible 3&D guy. With another reliable shooter and a post guy to feed him for 3’s, he should have a great year shooting the ball.

Last edited:
I wondered that myself for a minute, but Judah moving on was no secret. It’s not like Mike Waters just found out this afternoon.
It could be that Mike is talking to Judah's close friends, reporters can be very intrusive into one's personal life. He may be 99 percent sure he is gone but until he announces he is still at SU. Does the school provide its' athletes with any way to keep a reporter from snooping around. With Newhouse as a flagship program of the university I think that could pose an issue in and of itself.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Virginia Tech’s Sean Pedulla. I like this kid’s toughness, he’s a good PG and passer and a very good shooter. I wonder if there would be mutual interest.

From The Athletic’s top 100 transfer rankings:
A multi-year starter at Virginia Tech, Pedulla has been extremely productive running the show as the team’s primary lead guard. He has a tight, crafty handle, and while he’s not overly shifty, he stays on balance and changes speeds effectively to get into the teeth of the defense.
He’s especially good at leveraging his ability to score at all three levels. Defenses have to be cognizant of his step-back and midrange pull-up jumpers, as well as him stopping on a dime for floaters. He can get into his step-back in a variety of ways: behind-the-legs dribbles, crossovers and more. He hasn’t made a particularly high percentage off the catch but clearly has good touch and may improve in that area in a more manageable offensive role.

It often felt like he was asked to do too much at Virginia Tech. With M.J. Collins having a poor season and teammates Hunter Cattoor and Tyler Nickel serving more as floor-spacers, Pedulla was often the sole driver of the offense. That did allow him to earn a third-team All-ACC berth with averages of 16.4 points, 4.3 rebounds, and 4.6 assists per game, but he also committed 3.3 turnovers a contest. To me, his miscues were more a function of his offensive responsibilities than any skill deficiency.

Pedulla plays with confidence and is a genuine high-major starting point guard. Ideally, he’d be paired with a strong, bigger combo guard who can generate rim pressure and set Pedulla up for more open catch-and-shoot 3s. But there are many other teams that could use a battle-tested, older, two-year starting ACC floor-general. — Sam Vecenie

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Virginia Tech’s Sean Pedulla. I like this kid’s toughness, he’s a good PG and passer and a very good shooter. I wonder if there would be mutual interest.

From The Athletic’s top 100 transfer rankings:
A multi-year starter at Virginia Tech, Pedulla has been extremely productive running the show as the team’s primary lead guard. He has a tight, crafty handle, and while he’s not overly shifty, he stays on balance and changes speeds effectively to get into the teeth of the defense.
He’s especially good at leveraging his ability to score at all three levels. Defenses have to be cognizant of his step-back and midrange pull-up jumpers, as well as him stopping on a dime for floaters. He can get into his step-back in a variety of ways: behind-the-legs dribbles, crossovers and more. He hasn’t made a particularly high percentage off the catch but clearly has good touch and may improve in that area in a more manageable offensive role.

It often felt like he was asked to do too much at Virginia Tech. With M.J. Collins having a poor season and teammates Hunter Cattoor and Tyler Nickel serving more as floor-spacers, Pedulla was often the sole driver of the offense. That did allow him to earn a third-team All-ACC berth with averages of 16.4 points, 4.3 rebounds, and 4.6 assists per game, but he also committed 3.3 turnovers a contest. To me, his miscues were more a function of his offensive responsibilities than any skill deficiency.

Pedulla plays with confidence and is a genuine high-major starting point guard. Ideally, he’d be paired with a strong, bigger combo guard who can generate rim pressure and set Pedulla up for more open catch-and-shoot 3s. But there are many other teams that could use a battle-tested, older, two-year starting ACC floor-general. — Sam Vecenie

Didn’t he already commit to Oklahoma

How about him, since Reynolds seems not coming out?

We’ve had success with philly tough kids at the point.

The bottom line is if a team is missing a certain piece for their team, they can be selective and go after who they want. I think this is probably the case for Brown. You can be selective with your money. Just be careful if you’re not the only one in the bidding!
This was probably the case for us and lampkin

I know many are hopeful that Malik Mack (3 star recruit/4 star portal) will be our portal PG. Not only is he going to be costly but also we've been in it with some highly recruited 2025 PGs (unless Mack is one & done or back in the portal).

PGs...
Tyler Jackson 4 star (plays AAU with Kiyan)
Nigel James 4 star (plays HS with Kiyan)
Keyshaun Tillery 3 star (doesn't necessarily fit the highly recruited part but wanted to include his name as well -- City Rocks)

CGs...
Jerry Easter 4 star (friends with Kiyan among other Cuse ties-- Red & DC)
Derek Dixon 4 star (Team Takeover)

The big freshman center from France, who plays at St. Joseph’s entered the portal yesterday. Maybe Reynold’s will be next?

How about him, since Reynolds seems not coming out?

We’ve had success with philly tough kids at the point.
Similar to Carlos, I feel like Greer checks a lot of boxes that coaches would like in a player. Probably a worse shooter and passer though.

There are so many players we have been discussing that I thought it would be a good idea to put them all together in a spreadsheet to see how they compare.

Looking at this, I don't think there is much of a comparison. Erik Reynolds II is the guy we need. Dasher was right. Again.

I think if you click on it, it will blow up to a readable size. Happy to add more players or more columns if need be.

Also included Judah's stats for comparison purposes. And highlighted the best number for each category.

SU PG Stats Comparison.jpg