Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

It's important to level set expectations with hardcore fans because [insert reason here]. This makes great sense.
believe it or not, without fan support there is no program.

Who said that? The portal will be open again next year. Plus, we don't know how good of a freshman pt guard we can get. Don't put a down payment on worry. Let's get throught this year first.
So the plan is to get a top 50 high school guard and find a portal backup. Lots of lipstick here. And that’s assuming we don’t fold on future bidding wars.

Who said that? The portal will be open again next year. Plus, we don't know how good of a freshman pt guard we can get. Don't put a down payment on worry. Let's get throught this year first.
How many times do we hear “they aren’t coming here to come off the bench” though. because that doesn’t only pertains to portal players it most definitely also pertains to 5 star level, and impact freshman.

Think "Freeman vs Taylor" should read as "Freeman vs Brown" because that is essentially the tradeoff we are getting. I think everyone was expecting us to get a center and move Brown back to playing most minutes at his original 4 spot. Freeman now has a larger role in the 4 spot than we were expecting this season. Yes he will be way better than Taylor, but likely a good deal worse than Brown at some aspects of the four spot. When you write it out like that it seems like less of a big deal that we are losing Brown. It is a huge loss.
I disagree... Lampkin and Freeman were pushing Brown to the bench. Which is why Brown is leaving. He could have stayed and played 25 minutes a game essentially backing up three positions, but decided to leave.

Freeman replaces Taylor, Lampkin replaces Brown.

Maybe the real miserable and insufferable threads are the friends we made along the way.
1712839615054.gif

Ultimately, we're looking at the following roster changes:

Lampkin/McLeod vs Brown. This is a big win. Brown wasn't supposed to be a center... He had some really strong games. He also was helpless in others. Our center won't get pushed around this year.

Freeman vs Taylor. Our single biggest upgrade, by far. Size, scoring ability, athleticism all greatly improved.

Junior Bell vs Sophomore, Bell. It’s rare that players get worse as they get more experience…

Junior Starling versus sophomore Starling. See Bell reference. Additionally, I think the second half Starling is who we get next year.

Lefflew vs Mintz. Trading shooting for dribble penetration. Lefflew might be the better passer and is the better rebounder.

I think overall this is a net improvement, even if you think Mintz is better than Lefflew.
These are good points. I would just add a few things.
1) Maliq was very good at guarding on the perimeter and in space. He allowed us to switch on screens and could handle defending guards. And his steal numbers were eye popping. Lampkin and McLeod are very bad at guarding on the perimeter. Hopefully their defense against traditional post players will be good.
2.) Starling will need to make a jump from even his improved numbers from the second half of last season. We need him to be a star. I think he will be. Defensive improvement is key. I think Bell can also make some big jumps.
3.) Westry remains the wildcard. If he’s healthy—and of course that’s a big if—he can be one of the key pieces next season as a backup PG and also playing the 2 and 3. According to some posters on here, he was impressive in practices last fall and was expected to be a key contributor. Praying for an injury free year for him.

Because the hardcore fan base needs to understand the reality of the situation? If we don’t have funds to compete, make it known
Red has been pushing donations to the NIL Collective in every interview I've seen over the past month.

Pretty sure he's letting it be known that $ is needed to those paying attention.

Never would you come out publicly and say we flat out can't compete in the NIL game.

Red has been pushing donations to the NIL Collective in every interview I've seen over the past month.

Pretty sure he's letting it be known that $ is needed to those paying attention.

Never would you come out publicly and say we flat out can't compete in the NIL game.
That’s fair. And I’m not suggesting he come out and say we can’t compete in the NIL game. I’m talking specifically about Mack, the same way we all know why Jesse wasn’t here this year. Did they ever say anything publically about Jesse? Nope, yet somehow we all knew. That’s what I’m saying

I disagree... Lampkin and Freeman were pushing Brown to the bench. Which is why Brown is leaving. He could have stayed and played 25 minutes a game essentially backing up three positions, but decided to leave.

Freeman replaces Taylor, Lampkin replaces Brown.
And I think that is a horrible mistake. Really wish Freeman could just play a mix of the 3 and 4 while we keep Brown on playing between the 4 and 5. Freeman is tall but skinny and can score in similar ways to small forwards. Freeman is of course the better shooter and can probably do more off the dribble, but at PF is going to be weaker than Brown would be in a lot of areas. Freshman vs experienced Junior in his third year with the team who filled the stat sheet for us every night. Think we will regret letting Brown walk to make room for an unproven freshman who could also play the 3.

That’s fair. And I’m not suggesting he come out and say we can’t compete in the NIL game. I’m talking specifically about Mack, the same way we all know why Jesse wasn’t here this year. Did they ever say anything publically about Jesse? Nope, yet somehow we all knew. That’s what I’m saying
Maybe we just didnt think that spending all this money on a kid was worth it. Is Mack worth what he wants? Probably not and i wouldnt spend most of the NIL money on one kid unless hes a complete game changer.

Not giving Jesse the money i was all for. Injury plagued, always in foul trouble and we are gonna match the $750,000 that West Virginia gave him?? For one season? No thanks

And I think that is a horrible mistake. Really wish Freeman could just play a mix of the 3 and 4 while we keep Brown on playing between the 4 and 5. Freeman is tall but skinny and can score in similar ways to small forwards. Freeman is of course the better shooter and can probably do more off the dribble, but at PF is going to be weaker than Brown would be in a lot of areas. Freshman vs experienced Junior in his third year with the team who filled the stat sheet for us every night. Think we will regret letting Brown walk to make room for an unproven freshman who could also play the 3.
Hate losing Maliq, but the only place anyone things Donnie can and will play the 3 are people on this board.

Maybe we just didnt think that spending all this money on a kid was worth it. Is Mack worth what he wants? Probably not and i wouldnt spend most of the NIL money on one kid unless hes a complete game changer.

Not giving Jesse the money i was all for. Injury plagued, always in foul trouble and we are gonna match the $750,000 that West Virginia gave him?? For one season? No thanks
I AGREE! I've said that repeatedly. If that's what they thought, then that's a valid take. That's been my point all along.

Hate losing Maliq, but the only place anyone things Donnie can and will play the 3 are people on this board.
He can shoot it a little and that's enough for me. That's already better than most of the guys we played at the three last season. Dont see the issue with going big in the frontcourt for 10-15 mins a game, but I have also watched minimal footage of Freeman and am trusting others reports of how he plays.

I don't think we pushed Brown out. I think Red was honest that he probably wouldn't be starting and Brown decided it wasn't for him.

If Red was unclear or dishonest, Brown probably stays, but maybe he's a locker room problem.

Better he leaves, even though it hurts the team. Let somebody who wants and understands their role take the spot.

One thing to consider with the Mack/Leffew situation... is if we would be paying double to get Mack over Leffew…then at that point would we rather get Mack or would we rather split the money to get Leffew and Davis?

Cuz if this is the reality of the situation, then personally I think spending to get two good players is greater than getting one marginally better player.

Sign me up for Leffew and Davis and let’s role

One thing to consider with the Mack/Leffew situation... is if we would be paying double to get Mack over Leffew…then at that point would we rather get Mack or would we rather split the money to get Leffew and Davis?

Cuz if this is the reality of the situation, then personally I think spending to get two good players is greater than getting one marginally better player.

Agree, but isn't it crazy where we've come, that we're pretty much talking about cap space for a collegiate roster!?

I can't remember where, but one of our insiders (maybe dasher?) had said Davis was basically going to cost nothing in terms of NIL.

I can't remember where, but one of our insiders (maybe dasher?) had said Davis was basically going to cost nothing in terms of NIL.
If so, as noted by Funk Doc.. that still would mean that we have more money to allocate to the rest of the roster and maybe use the rest of the $$ to fill out the rest of the roster.

It’s basically college free agency with year to year contracts.

Believe that even if we get Leffew, we will still need another ball handler in the event of foul trouble, injuries or what else could occur (and will probably).

Right now, the best ball handlers from last years healthy team (discarding Westry) are JJ (whom this board seems to be split on) and Kyle Cuffe, Jr (whom really did not play that much to display any ball handling ability (he is more a driver/slasher who depends on his athletic abilities speed, leaping ability).