Post season | Syracusefan.com

Post season

SBU72

All Conference
I know this is not a popular topic but what do fans here think the odds really are that SU won't make the NIT? I mean evev if they lose out, its not unheard of for a team with a losing record to make it. 1 site has Minnesota in with a losing record (currently 13-14). Various sites list SU anywhere from a 1 seed to a 5 seed.

I know this is not a popular topic but what do fans here think the odds really are that SU won't make the NIT? I mean evev if they lose out, its not unheard of for a team with a losing record to make it. 1 site has Minnesota in with a losing record (currently 13-14). Various sites list SU anywhere from a 1 seed to a 5 seed.

right now Minnesota is in 31st on Ken Pom lol with a losing record. If you want a good laugh go check that list out. The bias toward big 10 is comical. I truly wonder if the idiot ncaa committee uses that in any way. But seriously go check it out

If we can’t find anywhere to get home games I say decline the invite.
I really dislike that attitude. It is elitist and shows bad sportsmanship. Especially when you qualify it by including the home game comment. The team could use all the games against that level of competition it can get.

Our new normal for hoops is this after 5 straight years of being at, slightly above and/or slightly below a .500 type team in our own conference and being routinely on the bubble. Mediocrity at its finest. Additionally, this talk of whether we can even get an NIT bid kind of reminds me of our football hopes...just get to 6 wins (6-6) so we can at least get to the friggning Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl or the likes thereof. Ugh!!! :(:mad:

I really dislike that attitude. It is elitist and shows bad sportsmanship. Especially when you qualify it by including the home game comment. The team could use all the games against that level of competition it can get.
We will never decline the invite. The extra time will be good for the guys coming back I agree. I’m still holding out hope that this is a moot point and we play in the tournament that really matters.

We need the practice time - look how much the bowl game practices helped this year's football team....

I don't think you can qualify for the NIT unless you have a winning record? they made it harder to qualify for the NIT based on that(I think that is the rule now) and based on giving automatic bids to any smaller conference team who wins their regular season title but loses in their conference tourney. if we lose to BC and Miami who are even worse than us, and then get sent packing in the first round next week, I don't think anyone wants to see this team play again this year, including JB.

Can someone remind me how hosting works for the NIT? Are all the games hosted by the higher seeded team until the semifinals and finals at MSG? Or are there regional sites before that?

If we win one more game we will be selected for the NIT.
They will want our brand in this tournament.
Even if we aren’t top 4 seed in any bracket since the NCAA owns the tournament they know we would draw at least a little crowd for a road game
And if we got to MSG. They would get a decent crowd.

DJ Orange is correct. You need a winning record.

Also, automatic bids for the NIT are given to any team that is the regular-season champion of its conference but fails to earn a berth in March Madness.
Actually, while this used to be the case, it no longer is, I believe.

Here's a Wikipedia article (I know - Wikipedia) saying that when the rules were revamped in 2017, being over .500 was no longer a requirement.

Also, here's the NIT principles and procedures document directly from the NCAA website. There is nothing in it regarding a requirement to be over .500.

right now Minnesota is in 31st on Ken Pom lol with a losing record. If you want a good laugh go check that list out. The bias toward big 10 is comical. I truly wonder if the idiot ncaa committee uses that in any way. But seriously go check it out

We know it's skewed towards Wisonsin, but wasn't away it was a bias for the entire B1G

Actually, while this used to be the case, it no longer is, I believe.

Here's a Wikipedia article (I know - Wikipedia) saying that when the rules were revamped in 2017, being over .500 was no longer a requirement.

Also, here's the NIT principles and procedures document directly from the NCAA website. There is nothing in it regarding a requirement to be over .500.
Also as I pointed out Minnesota is listed with a losing record. Think they wouldn't do that if losing records weren't allowed.

From: 2020 NIT selection show: Time, TV channel, date | NCAA.com

2020 NIT: Teams, how it works

Regular-season conference champions that don't make the NCAA tournament automatically qualify for the NIT.

Also, the teams listed by the NCAA Men's Basketball Committee as the "first four out" for the NCAA tournament earn the top seeds in the NIT field. Last season, UNC Greensboro, TCU, Alabama and Indiana received No. 1 seeds for the NIT.

Reportedly NCAA decreed several years ago a team with a losing record cannot go to the NIT, but I cannot confirm that to be the rule. If SU or any team has a losing record they should be banned from participating.

Obviously, given the above SU is not likely to be an NIT top seed. In fact, one projection has SU being a 5 seed --- in the NIT.

Oh, for the good ol' days

Were the metrics biased when they destroyed the Big10 in 2018, such that a 13-5 record was excluded. It's a formula, its not biased to any particular P5 conference. It is all based on how the conference does as a whole prior to January 1st.

The metrics the committee uses (NET) have the Big Ten as the deepest conference in America (as well as the Big East). Its not just Ken Pom.

10 of the top 36 in the NET
12 of the top 54 in the NET

Whether the BIG is actually that good or not is debtable, but the key factors that the committee uses for selection (Q1 wins) is going to obviously be in their favour since they have most of their teams in the top 50 in NET.

The BIG is getting at least 9 teams in the tourney, with a decent chance at 10.

Teams in the BIG this year don't need anywhere near as good records as an ACC Team to get in the tourney or the NIT.

If Syracuse loses out I can't see them getting into the NIT. They need at least one win.

From: 2020 NIT selection show: Time, TV channel, date | NCAA.com

2020 NIT: Teams, how it works

Regular-season conference champions that don't make the NCAA tournament automatically qualify for the NIT.

Also, the teams listed by the NCAA Men's Basketball Committee as the "first four out" for the NCAA tournament earn the top seeds in the NIT field. Last season, UNC Greensboro, TCU, Alabama and Indiana received No. 1 seeds for the NIT.

Reportedly NCAA decreed several years ago a team with a losing record cannot go to the NIT, but I cannot confirm that to be the rule. If SU or any team has a losing record they should be banned from participating.

Obviously, given the above SU is not likely to be an NIT top seed. In fact, one projection has SU being a 5 seed --- in the NIT.

Oh, for the good ol' days

Syracuse as a 5 seed makes sense. I can probably come up with a list of 10 teams with clearly better resumes than Syracuse that are not in the NCAA's as of now. The rest is just marginal differences that can be measured in various ways.

Since Syracuse has no home base, the committee may also amke the choice to put them on the 5 line if it comes down to them being a 4 seed or 5 seed.

We know it's skewed towards Wisonsin, but wasn't away it was a bias for the entire B1G

No bias of KP or the NET for the BIg10.

But what happens when you have a really deep conference of OK Teams, is that teams keep pushing their NET up a bit, and every game generaltes a key win. Since quality wins is huge for the committee, it obviously skews the whole process. But it could happen to any conference.

That is the system's weakness.

No bias of KP or the NET for the BIg10.

But what happens when you have a really deep conference of OK Teams, is that teams keep pushing their NET up a bit, and every game generaltes a key win. Since quality wins is huge for the committee, it obviously skews the whole process. But it could happen to any conference.

That is the system's weakness.
Exactly. The same thing has happened in the past to the ACC (either NET or RPI).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom