Postgame Thoughts… Louisville | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you will see Joe starting at point with Taylor at the 2. He’ll slide over when Q subs in.

Joe is not going to get 1/3 of the good looks he gets this year without Buddy and Cole helping to spread defenders. Next year sets up horribly for Joe’s 3 pt percentage.
Joe will get good looks if our PG can penetrate and attract ball movement.

Buddy and Cole spread the floor but they don’t get open shots for Joe.
It’s ball movement and passing.

This was the first game he has really had a chance to just play and he couldn't. His struggles are very similar to Jalen Carey's.
Watched the game from a bar in Fort Worth so couldn’t play in the game thread. Watching Benny today got me thinking. I play pickup all around. Mike trimboli, who played point for UVM, played in the same games from time to time. If there was a loose ball, he was getting it, even against bigger, stronger guys (6’6” 240 big) who had played at Harvard. Just relentless. Sadly, I don’t see Benny as that kind of player, but it’s exactly what he needs to be. He’s the ultimate player who was more athletic than kids he played against, so he just doesn’t have that grit to go get it.

And that makes me sad. Like seeing a Louisville team that couldn’t do squat against the zone sad.

Also, Jesse is fantastic.

obviously, this was a very good win. Really needed a laugher not only for the team but I think for the fan base too. One downside however, this is the type of game that you should expect to see Benny relax, perform and be effective. The fact that he couldn’t get anything going this game makes me really concerned about his future.

Those flat shots and those fumbled plays aren’t the result of lack of confidence.
Watch again. He just started to loosen up at the end. Hes tight.

Yeah I could certainly see that too. BC is better but we should take care of them if we keep the focal point on Jesse. Same goes vs VT who lacks size.

Having still so many road games just makes it hard to see. Can't slip up at all.
Watch it!

Joe will get good looks if our PG can penetrate and attract ball movement.

Buddy and Cole spread the floor but they don’t get open shots for Joe.
It’s ball movement and passing.
My gosh, They absolutely get open looks for Joe.

How is that even a debate?

“Hey Jim, Joe has been pretty good for a few games now…..”

(Interrupting). PRETTY GOOD? Screw you donna you moron. He’s been very good. People like you…I can’t even anymore”

Donna: uhhh…..
Not even remotely true. JB got a little testy at her characterizing JGII's game as pretty good. He thinks Joe's been great. She wasn't fazed at all and asked her question, which JB then answered in great detail. Didn't even move the needle.

My gosh, They absolutely get open looks for Joe.

How is that even a debate?
If their defenders are sticking to them how is Joe getting good looks from them.
Joe gets passes for clean looks when the ball goes into the paint.

Buddy and Cole’s defenders are sticking to them.

I mean what are you saying?

Buddy doesn’t attract double teams. He is doing the Buddy backdown in the post on smaller guys. Buddy is clearly getting the opponents top defensive guy.
That is fact.
Just having shooters on the floor doesn’t get Joe open looks.
Its when the ball goes into Jesse and the defense collapses or after an offensive rebound.

That is what i am saying.

Spacing works when you have a LeBron or Durant defenses can’t stay in front of and then they pass to shooters when help defenders come.
That is spacing.
Our offense doesn’t beat guys off the dribble and get open looks for space shooters.

Buddy or Cole aren’t doing that. They would be deadly with a PG who could penetrate and service them with open looks.

Joe played his best game of the season today in my opinion. He hustled, took care of the ball against constant pressure from a good defender. Dribble drives were solid and for the most part under control. Shot selection other than a couple of heaters was excellent. But number one. He kept his head up and didnt have to back the ball into the front court. PGs have to have their eyes forward. He did and it led to some great passes.
Today he played like a very good starting PG. Feel really good for Joe. Great game

If their defenders are sticking to them how is Joe getting good looks from them.
Joe gets passes for clean looks when the ball goes into the paint.

Buddy and Cole’s defenders are sticking to them.

I mean what are you saying?

Buddy doesn’t attract double teams. He is doing the Buddy backdown in the post on smaller guys. Buddy is clearly getting the opponents top defensive guy.
That is fact.
Just having shooters on the floor doesn’t get Joe open looks.
Its when the ball goes into Jesse and the defense collapses or after an offensive rebound.

That is what i am saying.

Spacing works when you have a LeBron or Durant defenses can’t stay in front of and then the pass to shooters when help defenders come.
That is spacing.
Our offense doesn’t beat guys off the dribble and get open looks for space shooters.
Maybe we’re saying the same thing…their mere presence gets him open looks. Opponents best defensive guard gets Buddy. Joe is option 3 from the defensive game plan to defend the line in transition…he gets that “3rd shooter open look” 2-3 times a game. Those are looks he won’t get next year.

Next year he moves to the top of the scouting report for perimeter defenders. He’s 41% from three this year. I bet you bragging rights that it drops below 35% next year.

Maybe we’re saying the same thing…their mere presence gets him open looks. Opponents best defensive guard gets Buddy. Joe is option 3 from the defensive game plan to defend the line in transition…he gets that “3rd shooter open look” 2-3 times a game. Those are looks he won’t get next year.

Next year he moves to the top of the scouting report for perimeter defenders. He’s 41% from three this year. I bet you bragging rights that it drops below 35% next year.
If we get Mintz and he can penetrate on defenses he will help our offense.

Buddy clearly gets the top guy from the opponent nobody should ever question that.

I think another type of player would help Girard’s game next year just like it would help Buddy’s.

If Buddy had a PG who could beat defenders off the dribble it would force the defense into more help situations and either get us more attempts around the rim or get Buddy more clean looks.

We are playing what we have been dealt but we are running an Iso based offense with not one guy who can beat his guy off the dribble in ACC play except maybe Symir.

Brandon Triche, Scoop Jardine, Dion Waiters, Michael-Carter Williams, Tyler Ennis could do that and it helped our offense.

Put Buddy next to Ennis i have said that team could win a NC.
The defense is elite and we have a shooter with Ennis, and Fair/Grant iso game.

Missed the game bc I was at America’s Largest Indoor Water Park (true story).

55% from the field. 52% from three.

No one Over 35 mins. No one over 13 shots. Guessing that is bc we went up so much, which is great.

Love that it seems like Joe and Cole are still rolling. Jesse had an insane game?

Benny looks a little dicey.

So we just came to kick @$$ and chew gum and we ran out of gum, huh?

Let’s keep this rolling.

“Hey Jim, Joe has been pretty good for a few games now…..”

(Interrupting). PRETTY GOOD? Screw you donna you moron. He’s been very good. People like you…I can’t even anymore”

Donna: uhhh…..

Dude, come on. I just now listened to it, and it wasn’t anything like that. Not only didn’t he use any of those words, half his answer he directed towards everyone’s opinion of Joe and not necessarily Donna.

obviously, this was a very good win. Really needed a laugher not only for the team but I think for the fan base too. One downside however, this is the type of game that you should expect to see Benny relax, perform and be effective. The fact that he couldn’t get anything going this game makes me really concerned about his future.

Those flat shots and those fumbled plays aren’t the result of lack of confidence.
I'm just amazed Benny doesn't drive the ball to the rim for some easy buckets. Even when he has a lane he pulls up for that jumper that he never hits.

Dude, come on. I just now listened to it, and it wasn’t anything like that. Not only didn’t he use any of those words, half his answer he directed towards everyone’s opinion of Joe and not necessarily Donna.
sounds like he repeated what he said pregame

Appreciate your opinion bees. I’m just so tired of it. So tired. As I get older I just can’t take the SOB mode after a nice win. Life is too short for such misery. Great win. Excited for the coming week!

I'm just amazed Benny doesn't drive the ball to the rim for some easy buckets. Even when he has a lane he pulls up for that jumper that he never hits.

Sounds like Benny just went through a growth spurt, and woke up one morning and found he was 6-8.

He's got to start thinking like a big guy instead of a perimeter guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom