Postgame Thoughts... Houston (NCAAT) | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... Houston (NCAAT)

It was a great second half of the season with the typical bubble drama and then a run to the sweet 16. Anyone who watched this team all year long did't think they would cut down the nets but getting to the sweet 16 was awesome. I thought the three keys to losing last night other than Houston's D was when JB took Edwards out with a few minutes until the half and then Houston went on a 10-0 run, the field goal drought of over 6 minutes later in the second half and Buddy couldn't make any outside shots. Maybe JB and Buddy should of spent less time on the media tour last week and more time preparing for Houston. In my opinion, Edwards needed to be on the floor until I noticed him getting tired. I also would of given Griffin more PT last night as we needed someone to make shots and he has proven in the past he can carry this team but JB decided about 8 games ago that Griffin was allowed one or two mistakes a game and then would ride the pine the rest of the game.

You can't play Kadary and Edwards for 35 minutes in that game. Not enough offense on the floor.

Kadary can set people up, but Joe can put more points on the board if he gets hot. Both had to play. Our trouble was scoring tonight. Boeheim tried pretty much all his lineup options tonight.
Griff HAD to show up last night. And he didn’t. That, more than any other single factor, was why we lost. JMHO

Much more fun posting in the postgame thread after a win.
-i’ve seen a lot of complaints about taking Jesse out of the game at the end of the first half. The kid had played an incredibly long stretch so I can see why JB wanted to rest him. Obviously Houston went on a run. But that is not why we lost the game.
-we lost because we scored 46 points. Jarreau’s defense on Buddy was exquisite. Even though he came in banged up he was outstanding defensively. As well as the rest of the team. Really nobody on our team performed well on the offensive end.
-Our bigs had opportunities but could not convert. We forced a number of terrible shots which we did not do in the first two rounds. Buddy was a big problem in that regard and I would have liked to have seen him recognize when he was open versus when he was forcing up incredibly difficult bad shots.
-The AG experience was one of the weirdest ones I have seen. The kid is so athletic and has a nice shot when set. He comes across well off the court but for some reason it always seems he is about getting his. This program has never been about that and maybe this was just a bad fit from the beginning. To go where he was earlier in the season to where he is now is a poor reflection on both the player and the staff. Somebody should have been able to figure something out. But how is that kid still taking bad shots?
-ironically AG actually went to the basket on a couple of occasions and finally got back to the foul line where he can do damage.
-nitpicking here but I was a little disappointed in Kadary’s effort in the final few minutes. Young kid I understand but you have to play to the gun.
-as JB said there will be guys in the portal but it is all about Kadary. He has every right to believe he should be starting and playing 30 minutes and it is up to the staff to keep him from leaving. If they have to tell Joe he is coming off the bench next year that is what they have to.
-I could have done without JB‘s Snark at the press conference particularly the veiled shot at the three guys who left last year. I know he was disappointed but he should be better than that.
-Looking ahead to next year if we can have a core of Buddy, Kadary, Q, Williams, Jesse, Braswell, JG3 and a transfer big who can board, that can be a really good team. I also expect Frank to be a contributor. This was always supposed to be a borderline redshirt year for him.
-I really admire Braswell for having the season he did. But he has to learn how to put the ball on the floor as he was exposed last night.
-Marek was not perfect but he was a great Orangeman who helped us win a ton of games and played with great heart. I don’t know what else he can accomplish at Syracuse and my guess is that he leaves to go play at home for money. I also assume with no inside information that the following will not be back: Bourama, AG, Woody, maybe JBA and someone who will surprise us. The transfer rule will really hurt the college game. Woody is a perfect example of a guy who should be like Kris Joseph, work hard, earn his minutes and wait his turn and become a great player here. It wasn’t like he was a five-star recruit who came in and expected to play big minutes. But these kids want to play immediately and my guess is that he leaves which bums me out because he is just the type of 4 year player I want us to have.
-What a ride this season has been. All those early season battles versus Bryant, Northeastern, the Buffalo AG block game, the ACC ups and downs. We were done like dinner after Georgia Tech. And somehow we went on a run which ended up with beating two really good teams in the tournament and getting to the Sweet 16.
-Finally this board is great. I really enjoy interacting with you guys. We all are crazy about this team and live and die with each possession. We know who the true fans are and this board is a tremendous resource and community those of us who really care about our program.

The missed travel was the momentum changer. It should have been our ball at 20-20, and instead we were down 23-20, and they scored the next 7 points before the half.

We never got closer than 7 the rest of the way.

I’m pretty sure we cut it to 4 at one point in the 2nd half.
I know we got it to 6 more than once also.

Honestly, how different was Houston from West Virginia?
They both played pretty similar games to me.
i think they're a lot better. I watched both teams play once this year so what do i know but their defensive numbers (defensive SRS) on college basketball reference say that houston is #2 and WVU is #102. UH is 14 pts better than the avg defense, WVU is 4

i think they're a lot better. I watched both teams play once this year so what do i know but their defensive numbers (defensive SRS) on college basketball reference say that houston is #2 and WVU is #102. UH is 14 pts better than the avg defense, WVU is 4
Where was SDSU?

The no doubt play of the game. It seemed to end the game.

Joe got his pocket picked a couple times, too. If you don't have that secure of a dribble, turn a bit to the side and use your body to shield the ball. Guys learn this on the playground as kids.

What was the score at the time of those turnovers?
The very first 1 was in the 1st half. I thought JB was going to pull him but he didn't. The 2nd SU wasn't down by much. And why should the score make a difference? If the defense makes a good play jumping into the passing lane is one thing but these were slow 1 handed pushes. No call for that at all. AND he has done it in other games!

The Orange lost that game because they didn't match Houston's intensity. This happen during the season a number of time but the team really was focused in the last month. Having said that, Houston played that game with everything they had, I really don't see them being able to get back up high enough to beat Oregon State. I mean Samson beat Jareau like a rented mule, how is he going to play tomorrow night? He wanted that game bad and he got it, but he used his team up to get it.

I am not "defending Joe over Kadary." I am just saying the game wasn't lost because Kadary didn't play enough.
Joe playing 15+ minutes isn’t going to give us the results we want. The past two years we’ve seen the worst defense we’ve ever seen with the zone and outside of the ACCT and NCAAT some of the worst offense we’ve seen. This isn’t by chance.

Did people not see the horrific lazy pass turnovers that Kadary had? All three lead to fast break baskets. And its not the first time this year either. I'm not saying that physically he's not a better pg but he's not the "savior" that most make him out to be. Last night he got 23 minutes at point, Joe 20 (+ 4 at 2g), his stat line wasn't better than Joe's.
I saw that... But I also saw Buddy throw it away, JG throw away, MD throw it away... My point is you can't ignore defense, it's half the game. I love when he gives us points, the flip side is how many does he give up? One of our biggest weaknesses all season is the entry pass that everyone throws right over his head into the interior. Watching him scurry around in the press was laughable. Stat lines do not always tell the whole story with some players.

This was a down year for WVU defensively, which they made up for on offense. Houston is one of the best defensive teams in the country.

It was a great second half of the season with the typical bubble drama and then a run to the sweet 16. Anyone who watched this team all year long did't think they would cut down the nets but getting to the sweet 16 was awesome. I thought the three keys to losing last night other than Houston's D was when JB took Edwards out with a few minutes until the half and then Houston went on a 10-0 run, the field goal drought of over 6 minutes later in the second half and Buddy couldn't make any outside shots. Maybe JB and Buddy should of spent less time on the media tour last week and more time preparing for Houston. In my opinion, Edwards needed to be on the floor until I noticed him getting tired. I also would of given Griffin more PT last night as we needed someone to make shots and he has proven in the past he can carry this team but JB decided about 8 games ago that Griffin was allowed one or two mistakes a game and then would ride the pine the rest of the game.
Griff is a shell of himself... He was not the only player that shot an air ball, missed an assignment or not in position on defense, did anyone else get pulled for those errors and basically benched? We can't beat up on one guy and ignore the same sht from others...

JMO but Houston is a better rebounding and defensive team than WVU. Much better.

Griff is a shell of himself... He was not the only player that shot an air ball, missed an assignment or not in position on defense, did anyone else get pulled for those errors and basically benched? We can't beat up on one guy and ignore the same sht from others...
It is very detrimental in a huge game for the guy that takes the first shot to fire an air ball and set the tone especially when that guy has been MIA for the last 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I thought pulling AG with less than one minute into the game was a bad move. That gets into a player's head and can set the tone for the rest of the evening.

Did people not see the horrific lazy pass turnovers that Kadary had? All three lead to fast break baskets. And its not the first time this year either. I'm not saying that physically he's not a better pg but he's not the "savior" that most make him out to be. Last night he got 23 minutes at point, Joe 20 (+ 4 at 2g), his stat line wasn't better than Joe's.

Exactly, I agree Kadary can be real good and is a bonafide PG. however he played 23 minutes and did not do anything that would make anyone say if he played more we win. Stat line very comparable to Joe.

People just complaining because they love to complain when things go wrong. They would do it better due to their vast knowledge or their agenda.

Cuse

Congrats on a fun run to the Sweet 16 from this UVA fan. Winning 2 games in the tourney is better than winning zero lol. Buddy was sensational the first two games but had a tough time against Houston's defense. Houston's D looked really good to me but Cuse just missed a lot of shots they made the first two rounds. I also thought Houston looked better against the zone that I was expecting. Cuse should be primed for a better regular season next year assuming the tinder portal doesn't swallow them up too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom