Postgame Thoughts... UVA (game 2) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... UVA (game 2)

Interesting stat. Syracuse had 12 fouls in game, 5 called on Jesse

Joe wouldn't take them. He missed one. Then he wouldn't even take the bump to go to the FT line with under a minute left! JOE!

Wish Symir would play more. It’d open Joe up a little. He’s just awful against good man D. But would also help to maybe have an offense.

*I’ve never seen Joe not take a shot he didn’t like ;-)

similar talent??????
I don't know enough about SYR players, but UVA's starting 5 included: Kihei Clark - National #347 recruit, Reece Beekman - National #70 recruit, Armaan Franklin - National #151 Recruit, Jayden Gardner - unranked nationally, Ben Vander Plas - unranked nationally.

UVA's 3 bench players, Shedrick, McKneeley, and Dunn were all 4-star guys though.

Others may have picked up on this as well in recent games, when the camera pans to the assistants, you can just tell this year has really worn on them, they look helpless. It visibly shows.
I agree tonight, not sure why except heard mentioned they could be a bit under the weather health wise.

I don't know enough about SYR players, but UVA's starting 5 included: Kihei Clark - National #347 recruit, Reece Beekman - National #70 recruit, Armaan Franklin - National #151 Recruit, Jayden Gardner - unranked nationally, Ben Vander Plas - unranked nationally.

UVA's 3 bench players, Shedrick, McKneeley, and Dunn were all 4-star guys though.
.....come on, Clark is what, 5/6 year grad student. Highschool rankings mean zilch at this point in the season

And I will say, if UVA is truly the #6 team in the country, based upon what I’ve seen from them to date, then the level of college basketball is even worse than I thought.
it is. Which really shows how sad it is that we can’t even have a winning record

Maliq is finally the entrenched starter. About time.

Bell showed a lot of character after being benched to start the 2H. Credit to him.

If Joe is supposed to be our "best" player, he has to show up more consistently.

Going to Jesse over and over on the low block down the stretch is a huge miss. He's not a low post player that you can run everything through. He's not that talented in that way.

I don't know. JB has to be better. Has to be.

If he and Judah didn't miss all those fouls shots in the last 5 minutes, we still would have won this game, even with the dreadful offensive execution. Imagine that.

Fundamentals. No rebounding. Lack of discipline. Boeheim teams MO. It’s sad but the guy gets outcoached left and right.

I hate it but it’s the truth. He can’t beat teams with similar in talent.

Actually, no, we did pretty well with the rebounding tonight. They only got 4 more than us (29-25). Anything under 10 and we usually have a good chance to win, because of all the blocks, steals and turnovers we generate.

Tonight we had 11 steals, 5 blocks and they turned it over almost double their usual amount (14 vs. avg of 8 per game).
They had 4 steals and 1 block, and we were even in turnovers.

So, despite losing by a bit on the boards, we wound up with 7 more overall possessions than they had.

And I will say, if UVA is truly the #6 team in the country, based upon what I’ve seen from them to date, then the level of college basketball is even worse than I thought.
It is. It shouldn’t be this difficult for us to win, but we play an outdated defense and offense with less talent than we used to have.

Sad.

Pretty incredible energy and effort tonight, but just enough of the old Murphy's Law to steal a loss from the jaws of victory.

An average night from the FT line, or 2 more jumpers during the course of the game, and we squeak this one out.

Judah was amazing.
Brown got so many nice rebounds, tipped balls, and some good buckets. Incredible game from him.
Symir was outstanding and deserves more time.
Bell gets Boeheimed, but still comes back from his Boeheiming to hit the shots that really gave us hope.
Jesse was OK, but was not nearly good enough. Someone with his tenure and experience should be able to do more, without the mountain of negative plays, fouls, dropped passes, awkward shots, etc.
Joe, seemed like he was giving effort out there, but didn't have much on the stat line.
Nice game from Taylor as well. Wish he could hit the wide open jumpers though.

Nice job by Boeheim to sub Taylor in right away and employ a little pressure earlier. Also had his guys amped up for the game.

We are not even an NIT team at this point, and I am not sure how things get any better next year.

Sad.

This was an old school Syracuse loss...free throws, free throws, free throws.
(And Joe having a miserable shooting night because of some good defense).

They were specifically ready for Joe's back-down game tonight.

That's a big part of why we fed Jesse so much in the 2nd half. Joe wasn't getting anything going, and Jesse was getting to the line a lot. Too many misses though.

This was Boeheim trying to lean on the experienced guys down the stretch. Didn't work out.

But at least this loss wasn't because of terrible calls by the ref, or Judah making a series of really bad drives, or Joe playing hero-ball.

I mean, we were right there, again. And we could have won it, again. But we missed 7 foul shots and we didn't hit anything from three.

Just frustrating & sad. As a Syracuse fan it just sucks to lose so many winnable games… not blaming any one player, I also cannot stand how every game we lose somehow that equates to JB being “out coached” when it clearly isn’t the case… perhaps the most overused & misused phrase on the board this year. Trying to hold back on firing back at some posters who show clear hypocrisy from game to game on what they want from the team, then those things happen & they retrospectively shout it down as the wrong thing when it doesn’t equate to a win.

Just frustrated overall, obviously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom