Potential DC's ... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Potential DC's ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he believes in Brown he could be the continuity hire here in 3 years. Might be fastest way to HC for him.
It could be but DC in the SEC leads to opportunities too. I heard Texas is coming hard for him

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office
You don’t like a stiff D? You all about the O? I want a D that is so stiff that it is basically impenetrable. I feel like I am talking in vain with the D. People only care about throwing it 50x now a days.

I have no idea. But Elko has made it very clear that he will make every effort to retain Elijah.

To your point, we would be far from the first to try to pull Elijah out of A&M. Saban tried stealing him to Bama, maybe more than once, and was unsuccessful.

He’s thought of very highly and is a great recruiter. It would be incredible if he joins Fran but I don’t know if it’s realistic.

I dont know Tom. Elijah was Elko's DL coach and the TAMU board talks about him as if he's Vince Lombardi. They will do whatever it takes to keep him.
I agree. I think only only shot would be to offer Elijah the DC position and that just doesn't make sense for us right now.

Hope it works out but I would be really surprised if Elijah leaves TA&M for Syracuse right now.

Last edited:
Not sure if posted before, but in relation to Robinson, Elko reportedly has an $11M pool for his staff (includes coaching, analyst, Ops, S&C, etc.).

Not sure what Jimbo had.

Edit: Appears Jimbo had $8M (I believe it is apples to apples comparison to Elko, i.e. includes staff/assistants, per The Athletic)

Last edited:
We’ll see what kind of recruiter Brown really is if he can get him to SU. It would shakeup college football and show that SU might be serious about football. Maybe keeping Beck at a smaller salary might offset the cost. I’d love to know what Brown has been allocated for staff.

Elijah Robinson linked to SU in this article because of his close relationship with Fran Brown.

“He’s extremely close with Fran Brown, the new head coach there. Almost have, as it’s been described to me, a brother-like relationship.”

First time Ive seen the name linked to Brown outside of this board. The fact that it's coming from an A&M article gives me some hope.

Indiana basically spent 7m to get out of that contract early and thats about our whole allotment for an entire staff..

Since boosters supposedly stepped up to get Dino out did that also step up to help pay for staff upgrades?

Indiana basically spent 7m to get out of that contract early and thats about our whole allotment for an entire staff..

Since boosters supposedly stepped up to get Dino out did that also step up to help pay for staff upgrades?
Has SU released that number? How do you know what the "allotment for the entire staff" is?

Wildhack said they paid Dino’s buyout internally.

we dont but if 2 million is about the oc/dc number and we pay the HC 4? I have no idea.

This is my ballpark understanding also.

IIRC, we matched Tony White’s offer from Nebraska, but he left anyway.

(LOL - “anyway” just got autocorrected to “a wussy”.
Was sorely tempted to leave it that way.)

I don’t think either current OC or DC made a milly.
But - I’m 99.99% sure that as part of the negotiations w Fran Brown that his Uber-agent would have secured commitments from JW and Cuse that a competitive assistant salary pool would be made available.

And given the fact that we probably gave Fran an equal or lower base salary than Dino, but likely loaded with incentives and bonuses that can make it higher, that potentially frees up cash for staff.

There are smart, experienced people on both sides of this negotiation.
And they both want it to be successful.

Syracuse didn’t just spend NINE FIGURES on the Dome renovations, Lally center, etc, only to then not have a plan around this transition, the new coaching and support staff, NIL, recruiting, portal, etc.

I'm naive, dumb, whatever. But what is in it for a booster to contribute so heavily to remove or hire a coach/staff?

First time Ive seen the name linked to Brown outside of this board. The fact that it's coming from an A&M article gives me some hope.
For sure. I think he stays at A&M but interesting to watch play out. Just never know. Like I said, it sounds like Brown and Robinson are pretty damn close though. He obviously can make more $ at A&M and will most likley get offered the DC spot there as well with Elko having a defensive background he's probably assuming he can backfill wherever he needs to. Just can't see them letting him walk without throwing a huge deal at him. Could just be a well played move for max promotion and $

Last edited:
Wife is an A&M grad and we lived in College Station for 2 years ('19-'20). Friends are freaking out about Robinson possibly leaving for us. I would go from being indifferent about the Brown hire to ecstatic if he pulls this off. Robinson is an elite level recruiter as well.

This hire is about a paradigm shift. Have to give this talent acquisition approach a try. Grinding with small margins of error and depth get the last three years, all three if they made it through healthy would have easily won two or three more games each year. Good teams that fall off a cliff when the roster starts to degrade.

Bring in the guys and fake it till you make it with the X’s and O’s if you have to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.