Practice Report | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Practice Report

He shouldn't even practice his jump-shot. He should just practice rebounding and shooting from 5 feet.
I think that is just a bit over the top rhetoric. If Roberson can put down a 12 footer just 35 % of the time it makes him that much harder to defend and consequently that much more valuable.

He'll get to take that shot until he shows he can't make it with any consistency. Howard was put under those restrictions last year. I think he'll prove he can take shots this year. Why not give Roberson the same chance?

I think that is just a bit over the top rhetoric. If Roberson can put down a 12 footer just 35 % of the time it makes him that much harder to defend and consequently that much more valuable.

He'll get to take that shot until he shows he can't make it with any consistency. Howard was put under those restrictions last year. I think he'll prove he can take shots this year. Why not give Roberson the same chance?

Personally I've seen enough of Roberson's jumper in 3 years to hope he keeps them to a minimum. Even in these off season videos it's the same weird hitch. He doesn't believe in it, why should I?

I think there is some real misunderstanding of Roberson. He was the difference between a garbage season and a Final Four. If he doesn't play much we will not have a great chance at a repeat. The guy is an absolute game changer when he is in beast mode. Difference maker.

When he is at his best, he's like our Dennis Rodman. He outrebounds bigger guys through sheer effort, and he has quick hands. Love this kid on the offensive boards. Just wish he had a bit more confidence.

I am confident in what Lydon can and will do.

What's exciting about this team is that now we have enough pieces that no one guy has to bear all the pressure. We all see a jump for Lydon this year, but if we didn't pick up White, Gillon and Thompson, he would have been asked to do so much more that it would have taken away from his offense. Plus, having the extra offensive threats means that there's not so much weight on his shoulders, or on Battle.

So they won't be forced to take so many bad shots because nobody else is open. They won't get game planned for as badly, now that there are a couple more guys who can hit the three, or ease the load rebounding and defending inside.

You guys don't follow so I'll leave it after this. Roberson is the only potential glass cleaner on the team. A real glass cleaner. The difference between being a top 10-15 team and being a top 5 team being in the conversation all year as a NC contender will be his ability to bring it every game. He'll be in the game late if he's rebounding. A consistent Roberson can be a difference maker.

I would say that with the players we have returning and coming in, Roberson's rebounding might not be quite as important as it was last year.

Coleman should be improved as a rebounder if he's playing, Lydon is going to be stronger and a better rebounder, I would say White is an upgrade in terms of rebounding over Malachi.

Not saying you're necessarily wrong - a consistent Roberson could make a difference. But I honestly think the most important thing to this team becoming elite is the adaptation of the newcomers to the slides of the zone. By all accounts, they are high basketball IQ guys. Hopefully they pick it up quick.

What's exciting about this team is that now we have enough pieces that no one guy has to bear all the pressure. We all see a jump for Lydon this year, but if we didn't pick up White, Gillon and Thompson, he would have been asked to do so much more that it would have taken away from his offense. Plus, having the extra offensive threats means that there's not so much weight on his shoulders, or on Battle.

I have said I before I think Lydon will have the best pro career since Melo for an SU player. But I think it was extremely important for the team to bring in other guys like White and Battle who can be primary options. I don't think Lydon is a first option guy and I'm not sure he would have been capable of putting up a season like Rak had his senior year where he was expected to shoulder the most of the load. Lydon will be much more dangerous as option 1b or 2.

Roberson is the best offensive rebounder on the team, but I think you're on to something. He's not the best defensive rebounder for whatever reason.

Not sure offensive rebounds will be as important this year. Last year our 2nd and 3rd offensive options were high volume three point shooters. This year we have more efficient offensive weapons.

It's all about his place on the floor. He's chasing shooters out to the corner and high wing on D so it's difficult to get back and grab those defensive boards. But on offense, his main jobs are to screen and attack the glass. That's why he shines on offensive boards.

I see exactly what you are saying and agree. Roberson created many second chance opportunities to score with getting offensive rebounds or keeping plays alive. Every good team has an energy guy. his motor needs to be consistent. Good post

This is such an underrated aspect of his game. I'd love to know how many tips he had last year that led to additional scoring opportunities.

Well said by you both.

Good report. White's nick name should be AB...All Business. It's exactly what I've observed as well.
When reading the report (excellent), I began to wonder, is it better to have a guy who is all business or loves the game so much smiles all the time? I guess the best example is Melo. Every game he played the announcers commented on how he is always smiling but then with talent like his, I guess you can smile all the time. Maybe it's from a fan watching the game point of view that I enjoy the game more when the "kids" are smiling and enjoying themselves. Maybe its that stone faced business types just leave me with the wrong impression.

Roberson needs to play every game like it's his last. When he does he is a huge game changer. He will do that . . . . Some times. This year he will sit when he isn't playing that way. He's still going to log 28-32 min a game and be an important player, just no where near our most important player IMO.
All positions are important. Roby's an amazing rebounder and we all remember his contributions during last year's run -- his rebounding, tips and put-backs on the 0-glass carried us some games. So without disrespecting that skill or his contribution to the 2015-16 team, THIS year is a different story. Can he help us? Of course. And he'll play and I hope he plays well.

But it's a totally different roster. There's a 7'2 eraser roaming the middle. We also have another capable guy at the 3 (AW), allowing an amazing talent like Lydon to play PF and rebound the 4 almost as well (AND block shots AND SCORE). So this year, I don't see TR as anywhere near our MIP. JMO.

Last edited:
Andrew White- this guy is all business. He should show up to practice and games in a suit and tie and a briefcase. Never cracks a smile, but was vocal on defense and works hard in all the drills and 5 on 5. The thing that stood out to me (again, small sample size) is that when he can just simply catch and shoot...wow! He is lethal and doesn't need much time or space to get his 3pt shot off. However, when he has to put it on the floor he seemed uncomfortable. He isn't real fluid and doesn't seem to want to attack the hoop, rather pull up for jumpers off one or two dribbles. Defensively, I was reminded of the NFL draft analysts that talk about whether or not a DB has "fluid hips" that allow change directions quickly. White seems to lack this ability on defense, and was easily beaten off the dribble when they were working on their full court press. However, this didn't seem to be as much of an issue in the half court, and I think he'll do just fine no matter if he's on the top or bottom of the zone. Regardless, he is gonna be a major factor in spacing the floor on offense this year.

I'm a Nebraska basketball fan and will be following Andrew White this year with great interest.
The original poster's assessment of Andrew White is well-done and spot-on.
Here are my observations on Andrew's strengths and weaknesses.
Strengths:
1. He is a great interview -- thoughtful, well-spoken, mature . . . very impressive. You'll like these a lot!
2. He is a deadly catch-and-shoot player -- he rarely misses in shoot-around.
3. He is an excellent rebounder at the 4 position.
4. If his role is limited to catch-and-shoot, one-dribble drives, and put-backs after rebound, his shooting percentages will be through the roof.
Weaknesses:
1. He's not good on the dribble. Seriously.
2. He played the 4 at Nebraska because he can't guard the 3 in man coverage. Presumably, your zone defense will mask this shortcoming.
3. He is not a The-Guy player. When injuries forced him into a The-Guy role toward the end of last season, his shooting in three games dropped to 3-17/2-10; 3-10/1-5; 2-6/0-2. Presumably, your depth will prevent that from happening this season.
4. He had an opportunity this summer to choose Syracuse and enroll early, so he could start working out with and fitting into the team. He waited until the last minute to commit and avoided seizing this opportunity. He did the same thing when coming to Nebraska--but received a pass because he had to sit out an entire season anyway.
5. There is a helicopter Dad.
6. If he doesn't get drafted, it will be your fault--and ours too.

Last edited:
I'm a Nebraska basketball fan and will be following Andrew White this year with great interest.
Strengths:
1. He is a great interview -- thoughtful, well-spoken, mature . . . very impressive. You'll like these a lot!
4. If his role is limited to catch-and-shoot, one-dribble drives, and put-backs after rebound, his shooting percentages will be through the roof.
Weaknesses:
2. He played the 4 at Nebraska because he can't guard the 3 in man coverage. Presumably, your zone defense will mask this shortcoming.
3. He is not a The-Guy player. When injuries forced him into a The-Guy role toward the end of last season, his shooting in three games dropped to 3-17/2-10; 3-10/1-5; 2-6/0-2. Presumably, your depth will prevent that from happening this season.
4. He had an opportunity this summer to choose Syracuse and enroll early, so he could start working out with and fitting into the team. He waited until the last minute to commit and avoided seizing this opportunity. He did the same thing when coming to Nebraska--but received a pass because he had to sit out an entire season anyway.

Very good summary. Your assessment of the capabilities [and gaps] is spot on.

I think [believe] you are being a bit harsh about the family, but we're very happy to have White as part of our team.

Agree. Roberson may be the most important player on the team. He's the only natural rebounding beast we have. If we are going to be as successful as we'd like, he has to play and play well (on the boards). And it's hard to run if it's tall guards getting rebounds we are counting on.

I don't think he's close to being the most important. We have answers if he isn't that good.

Very good summary. Your assessment of the capabilities [and gaps] is spot on.

I think [believe] you are being a bit harsh about the family, but we're very happy to have White as part of our team.

We were very happy to have him at Nebraska -- and would take him back in an instant.
You are probably right on this "harsh" idea about the family [ . . . maybe . . . ] -- but then, you've gotta' give me some leeway for being more-than-slightly irritated that he left us in the lurch.

Swan88 Great post! Thanks for all of these observations.

Your point about White not being able to guard the 3 in man coverage echoes what a bunch of us have been saying: he is not equipped to play up top in the 2-3 zone. Looks like that's where he will be to start games until quickly shifting to the back of the zone. Maybe it gets to be so bad to start games that JB eventually does adjust the lineup, but that would be a bit surprising.

Some folks have made a Demetris Nichols comparison for White: a catch-and-shoot player who is not effective at all off the bounce. That's looking very accurate.

Strengths:
Weaknesses:

Interesting how much AW sounds like a slightly shorter and less athletic Wes in a few different ways - the shooting, the lack of a handle, well-spoken, not a go-to guy. I've said it before and I'll say it again...the 2009-10 team is my all-time favorite, but I can't wait to see if the '16-17 team can beat them out!

Strengths:
Weaknesses:
I think your analysis is spot on except for the part about his father.

I can tell you he's loving,caring, and wants the best for his son.
He's far from a control freak or a helicopter parent. He's very respectful,mature,and grounded individual.

The opposing small forward has no chance guarding Lydon IMO. His height advantage/high release is going to allow him to shoot over anyone.
I disagree- I do not think he is that prestigious of a shooter to just shoot right over a guy and make it on a consistent basis. There are a very select few people on this entire planet that can consistently make shots over players that are just 3 inches shorter than them. His dribbling and ability to make plays off the bounce is by far the weakest part of his game offensively and that's what the three normally can do some of in this offense.

I disagree- I do not think he is that prestigious of a shooter to just shoot right over a guy and make it on a consistent basis. There are a very select few people on this entire planet that can consistently make shots over players that are just 3 inches shorter than them. His dribbling and ability to make plays off the bounce is by far the weakest part of his game offensively and that's what the three normally can do some of in this offense.

Yes he is. He's a better shooter than he was last year.

Your pigeon holing him into our "typical offense". JB adjusts to every team's strength.

Either way I'm glad he's not sitting the bench to start. That discussion drove me nuts.

I love Frank Howard. Have I said that enough yet?

I love Frank Howard.
Interesting thread to reread. I'm hoping that FH gets a different perspective on the bench sitting between JAB and AA. Everyone was so high on the kid coming into this season that there has to be some quality PT coming at some point. Let's hope the kid can turn things around.
Popcorn

Interesting thread to reread. I'm hoping that FH gets a different perspective on the bench sitting between JAB and AA. Everyone was so high on the kid coming into this season that there has to be some quality PT coming at some point. Let's hope the kid can turn things around.
Popcorn

His shooting was so bad last season I just couldn't hop on the bandwagon. All I heard about was his "vision" and it was made to sound legendary and in all reality I didn't see much from his last year.

I understand we all love this program and players in it, but I think it blinds some fans so bad that they don't even know what they're seeing sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom