Predictions on starting defense | Syracusefan.com

Predictions on starting defense

RF2044

Living Legend
I know that we have tons of depth at every positional unit on defense [albeit with some unproven commodities in the secondary], and that Long et al will play a TON of bench to attack and keep players fresh.

But here's my best guess at the starting lineup [adhering to 3-3-5]:

DE Okechukwu
DT Darton
DE Jobbity
OLB Wax
MLB Bailey
OLB Thompson
FS Clark
SS Farmer
CB Johnson
CB Bellamy
Rover Barron

I think Wax, Bailey and Thompson are going to be an outstanding LB trio. Bailey has to be the third, he showed so much potential in the Pinstripe Bowl.

DE-Caleb
DT-Lockett
DE-Jaquez
OLB-Wax
MLB-Bailey
OLB-Thompson
FS-Clark
SS-Farmer
CB-Johnson
CB-Peterson
Rover-Barron

In rotation
DE- Jobity, Chase Simmons
DT- Darton, Ingraham, Perry
LB- McDonald, Sparrow, Lowery
Safety- Gould, Jason Simmons, Martin
CB- Wilson, Bellamy, Buxton

DE-Caleb
DT-Lockett
DE-Jaquez
OLB-Wax
MLB-Bailey
OLB-Thompson
FS-Clark
SS-Farmer
CB-Johnson
CB-Peterson
Rover-Barron

In rotation
DE- Jobity, Chase Simmons
DT- Darton, Ingraham, Perry
LB- McDonald, Sparrow, Lowery
Safety- Gould, Jason Simmons, Martin
CB- Wilson, Bellamy, Buxton
Dream scenario of Clark moving to corner, so that we can play another safety, like Gould or Oliver, doesn't seem to be happening.

My understanding is that wax is the new mlb. I agree was thinking Clark would move to cb but maybe that’s a good sign that the cbs on roster are elevating their game.
I expect three full dl rotations baring injuries. Complete deference then last season when we had to play so many young guys. If we can go three deep in the dl the run defense should be really improved.

I know that we have tons of depth at every positional unit on defense [albeit with some unproven commodities in the secondary], and that Long et al will play a TON of bench to attack and keep players fresh.

But here's my best guess at the starting lineup [adhering to 3-3-5]:

DE Okechukwu
DT Darton
DE Jobbity
OLB Wax
MLB Bailey
OLB Thompson
FS Clark
SS Farmer
CB Johnson
CB Bellamy
Rover Barron
DE Okechukwu/Perry/Smith
DT Lockett/Darton/Ingraham or Fuentes-Cundiff
DE Jacquez/Jobbity/Simmons

OLB Thompson/McDonald/Omopariola
MLB Wax/Bailey/Mason/Moultrie-Goddard
OLB Sparrow/Roon or Lowery/Gilmore

FS Clark/Farmer/Martin
BS Simmons/Oliver/Perry
CB Johnson/Buxton
CB Peterson/Bellamy/Delaine
NB Wilson/Gould/Greenwood
Rover Barron/Seabourn/Folk

Jason Simmons is criminally underrated player.
Yea he really stood out to me last year. Extremely reliable.

Keys will be to see how healthy Lockett and Thompson are coming off ACL. Those are 2 monster talents we need on the field as much as possible if healthy.

Caleb
Terry
Jobity

Sparrow
Wax
Thompson

Clarke
Simmons
Barron
Johnson
Peterson
Gould

Could easily be starters: Fuentes, McDonald, Bailey, Oliver, Bellamy, Lowery, Simmons

DE Okechukwu/Perry/Smith
DT Lockett/Darton/Ingraham or Fuentes-Cundiff
DE Jacquez/Jobbity/Simmons

OLB Thompson/McDonald/Omopariola
MLB Wax/Bailey/Mason/Moultrie-Goddard
OLB Sparrow/Roon or Lowery/Gilmore

FS Clark/Farmer/Martin
BS Simmons/Oliver/Perry
CB Johnson/Buxton
CB Peterson/Bellamy/Delaine
NB Wilson/Gould/Greenwood
Rover Barron/Seabourn/Folk
Bama transfer not even making your three deep?

This is the deepest defense we have had in years hopefully a lot of rotations for freshness and health and we get 7 or more wins and get to a quality bowl game.

Bama transfer not even making your three deep?
He is there at DT. Darton and Lockett have played a lot and are going to be hard to displace. DTs get beaten up every down and having 4 guys with experience, size and talent is exciting.

It is going to be harder for Clemson to win games just running the ball every down late in the fourth quarter this season. I think our run defense is going to be very strong.

He is there at DT. Darton and Lockett have played a lot and are going to be hard to displace. DTs get beaten up every down and having 4 guys with experience, size and talent is exciting.

It is going to be harder for Clemson to win games just running the ball every down late in the fourth quarter this season. I think our run defense is going to be very strong.
Hope so.

It is crazy how deep our dline and LB rooms are comparatively to past seasons. Our defense with Rocky has the chance to be scary good. I think our dline rotations will be frequent for fresh legs and we are going to see more aggression overall. Starting will be immaterial on dline with all the players who will be rotating.
DE: CALEB O/BRICKSCHLITHOUSE PERRY/CHASE SIMMONS/JOBITY/JAQUEZ/NOLTON Jr
DT: DARTON/INGRAHAM/LOCKETT/CUNDIFF

Our LB room is just filthy

WAX, THOMPSON and SPARROW start and then MASON, MCDONALD and LOWERY rotate in. GODDARD may see minutes as well and ROON.

Our Secondary has a decent core with lots of potential but they also will get the benefit of a strong dline and Lb room, making their world easier I think.
BARRON/CLARKE/GOULD/FARMER/PETERSON/SIMMONS/JOHNSON/WILSON will all play.

It is crazy how deep our dline and LB rooms are comparatively to past seasons. Our defense with Rocky has the chance to be scary good. I think our dline rotations will be frequent for fresh legs and we are going to see more aggression overall. Starting will be immaterial on dline with all the players who will be rotating.

WAX, THOMPSON and SPARROW start and then MASON, MCDONALD and LOWERY rotate in. GODDARD may see minutes as well and ROON.

Our Secondary has a decent core with lots of potential but they also will get the benefit of a strong dline and Lb room, making their world easier I think.
You don't have Kadin Bailey in your top 8 LB's???

You don't have Kadin Bailey in your top 8 LB's???
Bailey is good but he is coming in at 223. He certainly did show some good things, as did a number of our Lbs. I think we have grown our Lbs to P5 level. I would not be surprised if he made the mix and maybe I should slot him and Omopariola(sp?) also. Omo is 6'3 232. Happy to be wrong and have Bailey reap havoc on the field.

Since the coverage of the team is lacking, to put it nicely (where have you gone, Stephen Bailey), and since, as Dorothy put it, people come and go so quickly around here, I really need to study up on this roster.

Nowhere near the familiarity with names that I'm accustomed to.

If the offense is explosive, teams will be playing from behind a lot this year. That causes taking more chances.

Bailey is good but he is coming in at 223. He certainly did show some good things, as did a number of our Lbs. I think we have grown our Lbs to P5 level. I would not be surprised if he made the mix and maybe I should slot him and Omopariola(sp?) also. Omo is 6'3 232. Happy to be wrong and have Bailey reap havoc on the field.
Man, going by Ht and Wt is a tricky way to evaluate a LB.

DE Caleb O
DT Lockett
DE Darton (I think Long made a point about adding beef to DL)

OLB Thompson
MLB Wax
OLB Bailey

CB I. Johnson
CB Jeremiah Wilson
FS Clark
BS Farmer
ROV Barron

-Jobity, Jaquez, Ingraham, Fuentes-Cundiff all rotate on DL.

-Sparrow, McDonald, Lowery rotate at LB

-Peterson and Bellamy backup CBs
-Jason Simmons, Jalil Martin, Jaden Gould backup Safety’s

Caleb/Braylin, Darton/Lockett, Jobiity/Jaques

Thompson/Sparrow/Lowery, Wax/Roon, McDonald/Bailey

Secondary is too hard to pick rotational guys buts Barron, Clark, Johnson, Simmons will get the bulk of the snaps. They are proven guys.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom