Premium Message Board(s) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Premium Message Board(s)

Would you subscribe if we added a premium message board(s)

• Total voters
I really enjoyed the "insider info" on the recruiting front. Wouldn't mind paying some of that. The rumors and stuff are a little blah to me personally. I guess it just depends what will actually be involved in the pay side. And then also what will be shared on the pay side and the free side. I mean if you want the "pay side" to be your 10 closest friends on the board can't you just create another section of the board and limit the people who can view it.

But I guess it just depends on what will be discussed and so forth.

I have never liked the idea of a paysite. Principally because there are way too many people that want it as some form of exclusive country club. You hear comments like "no riff raff", etc. My stomach churns every time somebody writes something like. .

I think you misunderstand what I mean by "riffraff," though I can't speak for others. Basically, I mean a trolling Rutgers fan, or a fan of an opposing school that would use negative insider information against SU, etc. I'm not talking about the posters on here that would be "ignored" if there were an "ignore" button like Scout, although I'm hoping wither a "Dislike" or ignore button shows up eventually.

We never had those people posting on the old premium board, which was nice.

We have an ignore feature here.

I think you misunderstand what I mean by "riffraff," though I can't speak for others. Basically, I mean a trolling Rutgers fan, or a fan of an opposing school that would use negative insider information against SU, etc. I'm not talking about the posters on here that would be "ignored" if there were an "ignore" button like Scout, although I'm hoping wither a "Dislike" or ignore button shows up eventually.

We never had those people posting on the old premium board, which was nice.

I have never liked the idea of a paysite. Principally because there are way too many people that want it as some form of exclusive country club. You hear comments like "no riff raff", etc. My stomach churns every time somebody writes something like. The joy of the internet is it's inclusivity. New people should be welcomed. The board should have tools to self moderate. Likes, +1s, rankings, etc, uses those to highlight the good, and hide the bad. Another, historical, reason is that years ago some people were asking for pay sites, while also being really douchey about the way people posted. hey give me money! but don't you dare say that about Craig Forth.

The economics are often thrown around as the excuse. 10 years ago, CTO, or somebody said they were paying hundreds a month to front this site. I do not know if this is true. There are billions of free sites on the 'net, all supported by ads. We have plenty of ads here. Is this really a valid excuse? What are the economics? It should not have been on Scout, because well, Scout payed for the site.

Wanting to control the reigns seems more likely, and that is fine.

If we went pay, I would only do it to help "defray the costs", if that were true. Also, the new board technology is probably worth a donation as well. Not sure how much of that is from the labor of Tom, etc, or if it comes from a service. Around $5/mo is what I would be willing to pay. Seems fair given what I pay for Netflix, etc. I honestly have no interest in recruiting tidbits, or some paid writers content. And the last time I paid, there frankly wasn't much of it anyway. We have plenty of great writers here. I like the community here, the community by the way that grew from years of finding each other on inclusive sites.

I share a similar sentiment. In the day and age of information so easily accessable everywhere on the web, I don't see the value of getting the same information that will be out there anyway such a short time later. Of course, for some, as you elude, there's always that privilege exclusive country club allure.

Years ago, long before the age of the internet...I use to subscribe to newsletters such as Gibbon's report, Big East Briefs for recruiting information and what have you, etc., but the information era has pretty much made such things obsolete.

I'm too, like many, willing to contribute funds/fee for this site to assist in the costs associated with keeping it up and running, etc.

I could understand the benefit of the premium board if this site became similar to the syracuse.com site. Lots of ridiculous comments and worthless discussion.
Some would argue that things have started to swing that way since the start of the hoops season (err, Bernie-gate).

Why work on a platform that costs more then what can be raised with ads and adds nothing then a normal free message board does?
There are different definitions of "free"... you are focused on one of them.

That said, I think Tristy hit it right on the head. Rather than the paysite, I'd go with an "invitation only" board. That way, only real Cuse fans/regulars can see or post to this premium area - you have to know someone to get in (i.e. hit a tailgait, another poster vouches for you, etc). Kind of like Drumlins without all of the shanked balls, except when Chip is around.
That would be good.

I suspect that there are already some of these about...

It honestly amazes me that people would pay money just so they don't have to not click/read certain people's thoughts and opinions. Paying for expert analysis/interviews/recruiting info is one thing, but for just a seperate forum? Ridiculous.

I'd do it, not 100% sure how much I'd pay because tuition is kind of kicking my ass

That would be good.

I suspect that there are already some of these about...

And what of the people who are interested in premium board but really have no interest or opportunity to mix with the "right" people in order to get an invite? What was wrong with the old way? I looked at the $10 as a magazine subscription to hear stuff that wasn't supposed to be common knowledge. Having to be "invited" in really is getting close to the "Country Club" mentality, which is fine as long as it is called what it is. If you want to keep this just among friends and insiders, just use a phone.

Thank you very much for bringing up the topic. I believe we need a premium board. I would like us to get a writer like Matt A.
Like others have posted we need real insider info by Jake, CTO, Bee's, etc.

I believe we should pay $15/mo for the 1st year for start up costs. Then $10/mo after that. Is there an up front amount we would need to hire a writer? Maybe a few people would be willing to put some cash up front to get the" writer" part of the board started. I would
offer to put some cash to help get started.

I think that there is going to be a lot more reticence to talk about insider stuff, that's all. There has been less and less over the years, and I suspect it will mostly dry up.

I think part of it is Marrone has kept things pretty tight-lipped. We got very little Football insider stuff since he took over even when we on the pay board at Scout. I am not sure why a pay board should cost more than a few bucks a month, unless there's a dedicated writer. How much should it cost to run this site?

I have never liked the idea of a paysite. Principally because there are way too many people that want it as some form of exclusive country club. You hear comments like "no riff raff", etc. My stomach churns every time somebody writes something like. The joy of the internet is it's inclusivity. New people should be welcomed. The board should have tools to self moderate. Likes, +1s, rankings, etc, uses those to highlight the good, and hide the bad.
I can't speak for everyone, but my use of "riff raff" is generally facetious. That being said, there are a lot of posters in whose missives I am not at all interested. A sizable percentage of posters are kool aid guzzling fan boys who only want to write and read about how great, great, great are all things Orange and how terrible, terrible, terrible is anyone who even slightly disagrees. The great flaw of the current board set up is that, even with all the tools you mention, the wheat is still mixed with the chaff. Thread view alone would go a long way toward fixing that. Even still, however, the pay side on the old board was much more serious and respectful. For the most part, when you pay for something you tend to treat it better. It's a "pride of ownership" factor. A neighborhood full of homeowners is usually tidy and well kept - put a couple of rental units on the block and it all starts to get run down because then you have a transient population with no real skin in the game.

There are different definitions of "free"...

"You know there’s a punk song that says America stands for freedom...

But if you think you’re free, try walking into a deli and urinating on the cheese!"

Thank you very much for bringing up the topic. I believe we need a premium board. I would like us to get a writer like Matt A.
Like others have posted we need real insider info by Jake, CTO, Bee's, etc.

I believe we should pay $15/mo for the 1st year for start up costs. Then $10/mo after that. Is there an up front amount we would need to hire a writer? Maybe a few people would be willing to put some cash up front to get the" writer" part of the board started. I would
offer to put some cash to help get started.

so you want this to cost more than Netflix? ...for content that is not promised? that "insiders" probably should not be giving, much less charging for. It seems some people want a magazine sub. Others want a community. Some want both.

How about charging for insider content on a per use basis? Leave the "community" alone.

I can't speak for everyone, but my use of "riff raff" is generally facetious. That being said, there are a lot of posters in whose missives I am not at all interested. A sizable percentage of posters are kool aid guzzling fan boys who only want to write and read about how great, great, great are all things Orange and how terrible, terrible, terrible is anyone who even slightly disagrees. The great flaw of the current board set up is that, even with all the tools you mention, the wheat is still mixed with the chaff. Thread view alone would go a long way toward fixing that. Even still, however, the pay side on the old board was much more serious and respectful. For the most part, when you pay for something you tend to treat it better. It's a "pride of ownership" factor. A neighborhood full of homeowners is usually tidy and well kept - put a couple of rental units on the block and it all starts to get run down because then you have a transient population with no real skin in the game.

Good points. There was a phase where folks on the pay side were not respectable on the free side. And on the pay side I would not expect their behavior to change. I do see your points, but respect is not a service I want to pay for. Site upkeep? Sure. Country club? No.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom