Premium Message Board(s) | Syracusefan.com

Premium Message Board(s)

Would you subscribe if we added a premium message board(s)

• Total voters

temery

What?
There has been several posts, and I have received several email asking about the time table for a premium message board. There seems to be enough interest, but I want to be sure it doesn't end up just being a dozen people talking to themselves.

If there is interest, we'll set the board(s) up, and come up with a fair price. The first qualifier I need to add is that subscribing would NOT guarantee the right to post. The premium board would be set up for discussions related to Syracuse basketball, football, and lacrosse - recruiting, game discussions, etc. No off topic stuff, and far less of the minutia found on the current boards (and pretty much every forum on the 'net).

We have an average of 4,000 people a day visit this site. I'd really like everyone to vote.

Please cast your vote, and reply or send me a message if you have suggestions, or relevant thoughts on the subject.

I wouldn't subscribe but understand if others would. I would think the premium board would be more for speculation/inside info and discussions that shouldn't be part of the public domain. But since membership of the premium board would likely based on a payment as criteria to enter and not trustworthiness and character, I think the board would lose its abilities to self monitor and function as intended. One bad apple, ahem orange, will ruin the barrel.

P.S. For perspective on this member, I have been a long time lurker for years following this site as it moved along from place to place and read it almost everyday for the last 7? years.

The premium board would be set up for discussions related to Syracuse basketball, football, and lacrosse - recruiting, game discussions, etc. No off topic stuff, and far less of the minutia found on the current boards (and pretty much every forum on the 'net).

Sorry for being dense, but can you clarify exactly what would be premium content on this new board? Would this mean having some type of writer associated with us to provide recruiting information?

Are you saying it would be like the other premium board or different? I did enjoy that one.

Cost would also be a factor, but I assume it would be at the most what we paid elsewhere?

To all our moderators those who take this board about 'Cuse seriously, I would like the following question answered before I vote:
  • Will a premium board provide more insight and worthwhile rumors, recruitment etc than we are receiving here...will more sensitive and real information be placed on the table than here...one only has to look at WVU board to see that the premium board can be very good with very good information and inuendo etc...
If those in the know like Jake, CTO, Orangeyes, Francis etc will post more of what is really taking place behind the scenes..then YES, a premium board should work and I would be pleased to pay for it...additionally, I find it reasonable to do so so that those intimately involved with the board receive some kind of compensation for it...the Scout premium board was okay, but really did not pay significant detail to 'Cuse...can we do better?

There has been several posts, and I have received several email asking about the time table for a premium message board. There seems to be enough interest, but I want to be sure it doesn't end up just being a dozen people talking to themselves.

If there is interest, we'll set the board(s) up, and come up with a fair price. The first qualifier I need to add is that subscribing would NOT guarantee the right to post. The premium board would be set up for discussions related to Syracuse basketball, football, and lacrosse - recruiting, game discussions, etc. No off topic stuff, and far less of the minutia found on the current boards (and pretty much every forum on the 'net).

We have an average of 4,000 people a day visit this site. I'd really like everyone to vote.

Please cast your vote, and reply or send me a message if you have suggestions, or relevant thoughts on the subject.

NOTE: The current boards will remain as is.

Cost would also be a factor, but I assume it would be at the most what we paid elsewhere?

It would be a fraction (1/3 to 1/2) of the cost of the networks. If it is doable, there would be a discount for anyone who was a subscriber with Scout when we left.

No off topic stuff, and far less of the minutia found on the current boards (and pretty much every forum on the 'net).
Better make sure Cali doesn't subscribe. zHe'll get banned the first day. ;)

Sorry for being dense, but can you clarify exactly what would be premium content on this new board? Would this mean having some type of writer associated with us to provide recruiting information?

The bottom line is I don't have the cash to front to pay a writer(s). The advertising revenue, on paper, is promising. But that's as far as it goes to date. We'd had ads here for over four months, and I haven't yet received a penny to pay the bills.

But to answer your question, yes - if there is sufficient participation in the premium board, revenue above expenses would be used for content.

Not a yes or no question.
This current board, which I have followed in various forms for many years, is in dire need of a premium board as way too many threads are in the nature of I feel, I think, my Ouija board told me, etc... repetitious speculation, but few nuts and bolt facts or red meat.
As a fan it is always fun to create our own scenarios and share them, but there needs to be a place for the more factual, the scoops, the analysis, etc.. Much like the premium board was on Scout.
I do not believe that cost is much of an issue as long as there is actual content, what might be a nice gesture is to have a reduced rate for current SU students and hopefully they would add info not drivel.
So to answer the question, YES for a real premiun board
NO for a rehash of what is on the free side

It would be a fraction (1/3 to 1/2) of the cost of the networks. If it is doable, there would be a discount for anyone who was a subscriber with Scout when we left.

If its just fans posting insider gossip....I'd pay a nominal fee for that ($3 to $4 / month).

$50/year would be my upper limit for this content. And even then, I'd expect some actual "insider info" beyond just forum chatter.

But without a premium content writer and without recruiting gossip, I'd definitely wouldn't pay $10/month. Is Matt Whats-His-Name available?

EDIT: If Matt was available...and the service matched what we had during his tenure with Scout...I'd pay premium.

I would like a writer and since I only care about football, I want to make sure I will be getting a lot of football based content. Sounds like a good idea though.

EDIT: I just realized guests cannot vote. If you are not a registered members, and you have input for this topic, feel free to email me at tom@emery.net

I would subscribe as i enjoy the insider info. Wish we had a writer to go along with it but i know how expensive that can be. I do appreciate the Admin's fronting a lot of the costs for the board. Too bad the other sight didnt workout. Hopefully you arent paying too much out of pocket for this.

If its just fans posting insider gossip....I'd pay a nominal fee for that ($3 to $4 / month).

$50/year would be my upper limit for this content. And even then, I'd expect some actual "insider info" beyond just forum chatter.

But without a premium content writer and without recruiting gossip, I'd definitely wouldn't pay $10/month. .

Pretty much my feeling on the dollar amounts and stipulations.

At one time I subscribed on the old board but when my subscription was up I didn't renew. My feeling at the time was that the best insider stuff still didn't get posted, lots of the "breaking news" type of stuff appeared in the paper a day or two later anyway, a significant percentage of the posts were things that you could just have easily seen on the free board, and Premium Cali (and there was lots of it) was worth the same monthly fee as Free Cali.

But for $3-$4 per month, I'd probably bite.

I voted yes, but it would help most of us to have a better idea what will be available there. This board is doing fine for me as it is, but then again, the Scout premium board had already withered away, so there was not much to miss.

While I guess that I'd subscribe, I would be equally willing to make a financial donation to the current board to assist/reward the moderators and administrators who keep this thing going.

You might want to consider that as an alternative. I mean, we really appreciate all that you do. Just let us know how to donate, and I'm in.

I subscribed to the Scout premium board for couple years. Only reason I dropped it was I changed cards so it didn't autorenew and I never had the initiative or need to resubmit. Best part of the premium board was there was less nonsense. Most of the posts really were not "premium" information. True insider info never really made it there as even it was too public a site for that type of info. It was just a smaller group of posters whose posts tend to be better than some of the unwashed masses. Worst part of losing the premium was the inability to read the premium articles. But since it is hard enough to get through all of OE's daily articles it's probably better that I can't read those premium articles!

Personally, I'm fine w/ way it is now. Truthfully, since marrone took over, there was very little insider info. on the other premium board, anyway. I'd be little more excited about premium if there was a commited writer, even if he was just committed to a few recruiting articles per week-Maybe Donnie Webb could do it now that he's not doing Football for the paper or maybe just pay the Bleed orange poster and Francis a little for what they're already doing) . I always found it strange that both Rivals and Scout never got a committed SU writer till soon after all the fans left.

I was a subscriber to the premium board on the other site for seven years and thought it was cool but not worth the fee towards the end... without Jake/Francis inside info I wouldve bailed long before the move to this site... I would be ready to subscribe if the mods choose to do it.

The bottom line is I don't have the cash to front to pay a writer(s). The advertising revenue, on paper, is promising. But that's as far as it goes to date. We'd had ads here for over four months, and I haven't yet received a penny to pay the bills.

But to answer your question, yes - if there is sufficient participation in the premium board, revenue above expenses would be used for content.

Why haven't you received any money from advertising?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom