PROP approves rules regarding stalling and faceoff tactics in men’s lacrosse | Syracusefan.com

PROP approves rules regarding stalling and faceoff tactics in men’s lacrosse

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved rules changes in men’s lacrosse regarding stalling rules and faceoff tactics Wednesday.

Starting in 2015, a visible clock can be used to time the 30-second stalling segment in facilities capable of displaying the clocks. All Division I men’s lacrosse programs will be required to have the clocks displayed by the 2016 season, and Division II and Division III will be required to have visible clocks by the 2017 season.

A violation will be called if a player picks up or carries the ball on the back of his stick. It will still be legal to clamp the ball with the back of the stick, but the ball must be moved, raked or directed immediately.
It is illegal to use a body part (forearm, elbow, head etc.) to initiate contact with an opponent’s stick or his own stick. It remains illegal to kick or step on an opponent’s stick.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/prop-approves-rules-regarding-stalling-and-faceoff-tactics-men’s-lacrosse

That is huge on the face-offs as players now can't pick the ball up on the back of their sticks.

I wonder if some players inverted the nets on their sticks to pick up easier, I don't know but some kids couldn't pass after a backwards pick up

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved rules changes in men’s lacrosse regarding stalling rules and faceoff tactics Wednesday.

Starting in 2015, a visible clock can be used to time the 30-second stalling segment in facilities capable of displaying the clocks. All Division I men’s lacrosse programs will be required to have the clocks displayed by the 2016 season, and Division II and Division III will be required to have visible clocks by the 2017 season.

A violation will be called if a player picks up or carries the ball on the back of his stick. It will still be legal to clamp the ball with the back of the stick, but the ball must be moved, raked or directed immediately.
It is illegal to use a body part (forearm, elbow, head etc.) to initiate contact with an opponent’s stick or his own stick. It remains illegal to kick or step on an opponent’s stick.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/prop-approves-rules-regarding-stalling-and-faceoff-tactics-men’s-lacrosse
So, if I understand this correctly, the FOGO guy can no longer run down the field, pop the ball out of the neck of the cross, catch it and move on. The ball has to be extricated immediately or it's a violation. Is this correct?

So, if I understand this correctly, the FOGO guy can no longer run down the field, pop the ball out of the neck of the cross, catch it and move on. The ball has to be extricated immediately or it's a violation. Is this correct?

You can win the face off, but you can't run with it in the back of the stick. You have to make the flip immediately, or pass it.

Of course, "immediately" will be up to the discretion of the referees. :noidea:

You can win the face off, but you can't run with it in the back of the stick. You have to make the flip immediately, or pass it.

True dat. But it should still make a big difference. If the FOGO guy wastes a second trying to pop the ball loose, he's going to get run over by a mack truck.

A violation will be called if a player "picks" up or carries the ball on the back of his stick. It will still be legal to clamp the ball with the back of the stick, but the ball must be moved, raked or directed immediately.

I'm guessing that it means they can't pick it up backwards