PS: Matthew Moyer discusses Syracuse basketball injury and timetable for full return | Syracusefan.com

PS: Matthew Moyer discusses Syracuse basketball injury and timetable for full return

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse, N.Y. – Matthew Moyer, engaged in a game of two-on-two in the Melo Center last July with a few Syracuse basketball teammates, suddenly felt something strange in his right foot. The Orange freshman attempted to get to the basket when he stopped, considered the sensation, tried to gut out a few more plays and then realized his body was asking him to stop.

Moyer visited SU athletic trainer Brad Pike. Initially, Moyer said, the injury seemed somewhat insignificant. Until X-rays proved it was not. Turns out, Moyer had sustained a case of turf toe.

"Grade 3 turf toe, which is the worst you can get," he said Tuesday. "The sesamoid bone fractured and the ligament severed."

There were discussions about surgery, Moyer said, but because he has progressed from a healing perspective, the surgery option was shelved. Syracuse officially started practice for the 2016-17 season last Friday. Moyer has been restricted to certain drills, said SU coach Jim Boeheim, and will be re-evaluated on Friday...

Matthew Moyer discusses Syracuse basketball injury and timetable for full return (Ditota)

Syracuse, N.Y. – Matthew Moyer, engaged in a game of two-on-two in the Melo Center last July with a few Syracuse basketball teammates, suddenly felt something strange in his right foot. The Orange freshman attempted to get to the basket when he stopped, considered the sensation, tried to gut out a few more plays and then realized his body was asking him to stop.

Moyer visited SU athletic trainer Brad Pike. Initially, Moyer said, the injury seemed somewhat insignificant. Until X-rays proved it was not. Turns out, Moyer had sustained a case of turf toe.

"Grade 3 turf toe, which is the worst you can get," he said Tuesday. "The sesamoid bone fractured and the ligament severed."

There were discussions about surgery, Moyer said, but because he has progressed from a healing perspective, the surgery option was shelved. Syracuse officially started practice for the 2016-17 season last Friday. Moyer has been restricted to certain drills, said SU coach Jim Boeheim, and will be re-evaluated on Friday...

Matthew Moyer discusses Syracuse basketball injury and timetable for full return (Ditota)
First time an SU player has known what a sesamoid is?

I thought maybe this was a sesamoid.

Culimada-J-310x175.jpg

I don't think they are but I sincerely hope that they are not rushing this kid back. I like his game and attitude, I think he is the obvious replacement for the Roberson workhorse role that we need. I said before and I still think, he makes me think of west Virginia's kevin jones and I would sign up for that every day of the week.

I don't think they are but I sincerely hope that they are not rushing this kid back. I like his game and attitude, I think he is the obvious replacement for the Roberson workhorse role that we need. I said before and I still think, he makes me think of west Virginia's kevin jones and I would sign up for that every day of the week.
No way we rush him back. We actually have 8 dudes who can realistically play ahead of him. And that not mentioning that like 4 of them play his positions.

If we get lucky and this is his only major injury over hoax college career then it couldn't have come at a better time.

Syracuse, N.Y. — Matthew Moyer has been cleared to participate in all aspects of Syracuse's basketball practice, Orange coach Jim Boeheim said Tuesday afternoon.

Moyer, the freshman forward, suffered a "Grade 3 turf toe" injury last July while playing two-on-two with his new SU teammates. He had progressed from a cast to a walking boot to being healed enough to shoot, lift and perform other basketball-related tasks once the Orange started officially practicing for the 2016-17 season.

Moyer was held out of contact drills and scrimmages for the first week of practice, but has since been deemed fully fit to perform. Boeheim said Moyer will be gradually immersed into the contact and scrimmage drills. He needs to regain some of the conditioning he lost while his foot healed.

Status changed for Syracuse freshman basketball forward Matthew Moyer (Ditota)

Syracuse, N.Y. — Matthew Moyer has been cleared to participate in all aspects of Syracuse's basketball practice, Orange coach Jim Boeheim said Tuesday afternoon.

Moyer, the freshman forward, suffered a "Grade 3 turf toe" injury last July while playing two-on-two with his new SU teammates. He had progressed from a cast to a walking boot to being healed enough to shoot, lift and perform other basketball-related tasks once the Orange started officially practicing for the 2016-17 season.

Moyer was held out of contact drills and scrimmages for the first week of practice, but has since been deemed fully fit to perform. Boeheim said Moyer will be gradually immersed into the contact and scrimmage drills. He needs to regain some of the conditioning he lost while his foot healed.

Status changed for Syracuse freshman basketball forward Matthew Moyer (Ditota)

Great news!

So much for Moyer being done for the season.

Great news.
Really underrated news.

1) Practice 5-on-5's both for his development and the team's
2) IF he redshirts, it wouldn't be a medical one
3) Great kid
BIG TIME! So pumped for this kid. He will certainly contribute to making this year a TEAM effort.

BIG TIME! So pumped for this kid. He will certainly contribute to making this year a TEAM effort.

Yep, he's a huge piece, just to bring energy in all aspects. Also, I doubt any of our players live at Chuck's like Flab with him to steer them on the right path.

I like that they are playing him at the 3 a lot in practice, as he needs to work on his handle and jumper.

Last edited: