PS: Steven Clark is proof the new Syracuse football strength staff is yielding results | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

PS: Steven Clark is proof the new Syracuse football strength staff is yielding results

But are they drinking pickle juice? Bonus points to anyone who remembers the season opener which we were going to win because of pickle juice.

I long said I didnt like the s and c when shy got to campus. That said the nutrition in this school is a huge draw back. The kids only eat at the center for breakfast the rest is at cafes. The cafes aren't open during the summer to players. The kids have to get food from the store to cook and shy had no stove for the whole summer because his was broke and he could t get it fixed. He will play at 220 and still 6 percent body fat but he could have been 230 now with a better nutrition program
Bam has anyone brought this up to anyone to see what can be done?

But are they drinking pickle juice? Bonus points to anyone who remembers the season opener which we were going to win because of pickle juice.
Grob?

Grob?
Nope goes back to the coach p days... It was a road game outdoors against a nationally recognized opponent in a place where opposing teams are known to suffer from being out of breath (practically giving it away here). According to a thread on an incarnation of this board pickle juice was going to save the day.

The game turned into a tradional coach p national tv ass whupping that made me dread all national TV games the last 15 years or so.

Pickle juice and mustard actually do help prevent cramps. I remember giving shy packets of mustard during a hit game he was cramping in. Second half no cramps.

Yeah the parents have discussed and been told sorry

As a fan that is... Well, that's incredibly disheartening to read.

As a parent must be worse.

"Sorry?" I don't like that. They should work with these athletes. Nutrition is arguably the biggest component to the equation. Seems simple, but without it one cannot grow and repair.

Pickle juice and mustard actually do help prevent cramps. I remember giving shy packets of mustard during a hit game he was cramping in. Second half no cramps.

I think we all had cramps that day.

Bam has anyone brought this up to anyone to see what can be done?

FWIW, the Falk School has volunteered to assist in the nutrition area. It's one of the concentration of studies and our new AD had to endure a few board meetings regarding this area (and social work.)

The amount of new nutrition regimens with this staff has been scary. What did Shafer and Marrone do here?

FWIW, the Falk School has volunteered to assist in the nutrition area. It's one of the concentration of studies and our new AD had to endure a few board meetings regarding this area (and social work.)

The amount of new nutrition regimens with this staff has been scary. What did Shafer and Marrone do here?
Does anyone know how specific the diets have become?

Stamina! Running a 4.5 40 at the end of practice=being able to run down a tired opponent or pancaking a dlineman in the 4th quarter. When you get tired you lose focus, you lose your mental edge. Being on top of things in the 4Q can win games for you. I love this philosophy of never taking your foot of the gas. It says screw the speed limit. In order to do this you need to be fit as all hell and this staff is getting the players fit to play this brand of football. Your last play has to be as good as your first.

If strength and conditioning, along with applying your physical abilities to a game plan, are important in Baber's system, maybe that's one of the reasons why Babers preaches patience, and talks about results beginning to show in the second year?

I doubt that factors like those are honed and turned around quickly...like in a couple of months.

my wife works in the sports medicine department at UT Austin helping take care of the medical needs of all the athletes. She pointed me to this article a few weeks back, which maybe helps explain the mustard thing with cramps?

A New Way to Prevent Muscle Cramps

Regarding nutrition, I get to eat at the place where UT feeds their athletes every now and then. It is an amazing place (and doesn't include the staff of nutritionists designing meals and snacks. It is very discouraging to hear that Syracuse seems to be lagging nutritionally.

The meals they provide are fine... Maybe not pleasant but nutrient is good. The have taken away the carbs no pancakes or waffles. They have turkey bacon and sausage. Fruit. They have quinoa and pasta. The problem comes in with the part of they only eat at manely for breakfast. Most of the players don't travel to the cafes. Like I say during the summer they aren't allowed in the cafes. During camp they eat all their meals in manely but the rest of the year they go shopping and cook for themselves in their apartments. I'm sure some of the kids eat well. I try and take shy shopping when we are in town. I just figured a d1 program trying to get their kids to a specific body type would have something in place so the kids would eat what they need to accomplish that

Stamina! Running a 4.5 40 at the end of practice=being able to run down a tired opponent or pancaking a dlineman in the 4th quarter. When you get tired you lose focus, you lose your mental edge. Being on top of things in the 4Q can win games for you. I love this philosophy of never taking your foot of the gas. It says screw the speed limit. In order to do this you need to be fit as all hell and this staff is getting the players fit to play this brand of football. Your last play has to be as good as your first.
Lombardi: "Fatigue makes cowards of us all" not really a new concept

I long said I didnt like the s and c when shy got to campus. That said the nutrition in this school is a huge draw back. The kids only eat at the center for breakfast the rest is at cafes. The cafes aren't open during the summer to players. The kids have to get food from the store to cook and shy had no stove for the whole summer because his was broke and he could t get it fixed. He will play at 220 and still 6 percent body fat but he could have been 230 now with a better nutrition program
You realize how many Syracuse Italian and German Grandmas' would have loved the challenge to feed Shy over the summer?

BYU 2002. Scary to think how long I've been following various incarnations of this board...