PS: Steven Clark is proof the new Syracuse football strength staff is yielding results | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

PS: Steven Clark is proof the new Syracuse football strength staff is yielding results

The other solution would be to provide cars to all of the players so they can get to the grocery store.
Could a campus have a motor pool that's :cough: available for use by all students that the student-athletes could also use and have the NCAA be cool with that?

sufandu said:
I remember reading that Ohio St. has their athletes take vitamin D supplements because they know they don't get enough sun exposure in the north. Is that a detail we even consider?
Vitamin d? I want to know who's handing out the roids

That's the place. TOPS.

Yessir. That's the closest, decent, legit grocery store. Won't touch Wegmans but it obviously has everything needed to prep solid meals- chicken, beef, rices, pasta, veggies, beans, eggs, etc.

I didn't have a car at school, but I rode with my roommates down to the store (we lived on comstock)

I don't know how we just built a new IPF and don't have some sort of athlete cafeteria connected to it.
Someone corrsct me of I'm wrong but I believe there is a dining facility that is in the football complex at Manley. Why it wouldn't be staffed and operating when players are on campus for three meals and snacks with high level support and integration from a dietician is unthinkable. This is kindergarten performance optimization stuff we're talking about.

Someone corrsct me of I'm wrong but I believe there is a dining facility that is in the football complex at Manley. Why it wouldn't be staffed and operating when players are on campus for three meals and snacks with high level support and integration from a dietician is unthinkable. This is kindergarten performance optimization stuff we're talking about.

This is something that I can't quite get my head around.

The facility exists. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but during the semester it's only used by athletes (the same athletes who are left to their own devices in August). It's staffed by hourly employees who are cut loose in the summer?

So for the football players to have the easiest way to eat properly, the only additional expenses for SU would be 1) food costs and 2) hourly wages for seasonal employees?

I must be missing something, but I'm not sure what that might be. But it seems to me that we're not talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars to hire nutritionists; this is a very easy and fairly inexpensive fix.

Also, speaking of fixes, there's a student (who happens to be a football player) who's in an apartment with a broken stove and Physical Plant says they won't repair it this summer? I've been beating the drum about that department's ineptitude for a long time, but this is unusual even for them. They've got an obligation to provide working kitchen appliances and they probably should've been able to fix or replace the stove in 24 hours.

Bcubs - this is responsibility of the AD not the football HC. The AD is responsible for allocating resources and nutritionist positions would be a job that's important for all sports not just football. I'm surprised because I know former HCDM had 1 or 2 nutritionists on staff but obviously that stopped when former HCSS took over.

Wildhack needs to know this especially if you can provide benchmark comparison examples to other P5 schools you experienced first hand during the recruiting process. It's best coming from the coaching staff about the need to have nutritionists on staff but players parents can go a long way in support of the need.

By the way all they need to do is replace a few overhead positions at SUAD and it's paid for without increasing any costs...;)
But this is the stupidity of not using the resources already available to the university. It's called Falk College where you have students majoring in Nutrition Science and Dietetics.

Could a campus have a motor pool that's :cough: available for use by all students that the student-athletes could also use and have the NCAA be cool with that?
they have the ZIP cars available on the hill

The other solution would be to provide cars to all of the players so they can get to the grocery store.

I think Bill Rapp might've tried that in 80s and it didn't work out very well.;)

There is. Why the players don't have complete access to it during the summer sessions is puzzling. And, honestly, it kind of pisses me off.

There is. Why the players don't have complete access to it during the summer sessions is puzzling. And, honestly, it kind of pisses me off.

Sounds like an administrative thing rather than the athletic program...Wildhack will need to advocate for his teams. And hopefully he'll be successful

This is something that I can't quite get my head around.

The facility exists. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but during the semester it's only used by athletes (the same athletes who are left to their own devices in August). It's staffed by hourly employees who are cut loose in the summer?

So for the football players to have the easiest way to eat properly, the only additional expenses for SU would be 1) food costs and 2) hourly wages for seasonal employees?

I must be missing something, but I'm not sure what that might be. But it seems to me that we're not talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars to hire nutritionists; this is a very easy and fairly inexpensive fix.

Also, speaking of fixes, there's a student (who happens to be a football player) who's in an apartment with a broken stove and Physical Plant says they won't repair it this summer? I've been beating the drum about that department's ineptitude for a long time, but this is unusual even for them. They've got an obligation to provide working kitchen appliances and they probably should've been able to fix or replace the stove in 24 hours.
Worse than that the staff is there for all of it except the 1 week before camp... They just don't serve anything besides breakfast

Worse than that the staff is there for all of it except the 1 week before camp... They just don't serve anything besides breakfast

I forgot about the breakfast - yeah, that is really weird. Without knowing anything more, it seems like they're trying to avoid extra labor costs. But that's a small price to pay for keeping the kids fed well (and it'd be good for the employees, too). Just weird.

I wonder if the NCAA allows universities to feed athletes during summer months? Knowing the NCAA there is probably some dumb rule against athletic program feeding athletes during summer sessions.

What Athletes Will Get Under the NCAA's New Food Rules

In January, 2013–28 was passed, which allows institutions to include any meal plan available to all students as part of a scholarship, not one which tops out at three meals per day. As a result of these two proposals, the food a full scholarship athlete can receive has changed

Any meal plan available to all students
;
  • One training table meal per day, which comes out of the scholarship;
  • Food provided at the institution’s discretion starting with dinner the night before a home game, plus an extra meal after the game;
  • Either food provided at the institution’s discretion or per diem for three meals per day on a road trip, plus a pre- or postgame meal;
  • Three meals per day or per diem when athletes are required to remain on campus during vacation periods;
  • Additional meals at the institution’s discretion to meet nutritional needs;
  • Nutritional supplements including energy bars and carbohydrate boosters; and
  • Any type of snack.

What Athletes Will Get Under the NCAA's New Food Rules

In January, 2013–28 was passed, which allows institutions to include any meal plan available to all students as part of a scholarship, not one which tops out at three meals per day. As a result of these two proposals, the food a full scholarship athlete can receive has changed

Any meal plan available to all students
;
  • One training table meal per day, which comes out of the scholarship;
  • Food provided at the institution’s discretion starting with dinner the night before a home game, plus an extra meal after the game;
  • Either food provided at the institution’s discretion or per diem for three meals per day on a road trip, plus a pre- or postgame meal;
  • Three meals per day or per diem when athletes are required to remain on campus during vacation periods;
  • Additional meals at the institution’s discretion to meet nutritional needs;
  • Nutritional supplements including energy bars and carbohydrate boosters; and
  • Any type of snack.
I take that additional meals line to mean they can feed athletes all they want as often as they want and can just say they needed nutrients

Ron-Burgundy-What-Did-You-Say-Anchorman.gif

Seriously. What is a "pittsford," anyway?

Yessir. That's the closest, decent, legit grocery store. Won't touch Wegmans but it obviously has everything needed to prep solid meals- chicken, beef, rices, pasta, veggies, beans, eggs, etc.
What about free crab legs?