PS: Tyler Roberson works in N.J. gym to be more than a rebounder as a senior (video) | Syracusefan.com

PS: Tyler Roberson works in N.J. gym to be more than a rebounder as a senior (video)

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Union, N.J. — The gym, located in the basement of a Jewish community center, serves as Tyler Roberson's sanctuary. Each summer, Syracuse's senior forward retreats to comfortable, accommodating basketball surroundings. He spends upward of three hours there shooting, drilling fundamental skills, playing pickup with young people he's known for years...

Tyler Roberson works in N.J. gym to be more than a rebounder as a senior (video) (Ditota)

proxy.jpg

I'll admit that was my first reaction as well.
He can hit it, physically (he doesn't hesitate). Unfortunately, if he "thinks" about it (and hesitates), it's probably going to be a brick. Hopefully, as a senior, it becomes automatic and he can just let it go and then go after the RB.

Last edited:
He can hit it, physically (he doesn't hesitate). Unfortunately, if he "thinks" about it (and hesitates), it's probably going to be a brick. Hopefully, as a senior, it becomes automatic and he can just let it go and then go after the RB.

Whether he was doing before wasn't working. Don't think it's a mental issue, just isn't a shooter.

Whether he was doing before wasn't working. Don't think it's a mental issue, just isn't a shooter.
Well my point was, mechanically he can hit the mid-range shot (8-10 feet). He can also drive and bank the ball. I've seen him do both. No question his shooting stroke is flat, but he can physically hit the shot if he doesn't think about it. If he hesitates, he's not effective. So I think it is a mental issue (confidence). JMO.

How long before he gets suspended by the NCAA and we get a post season ban for this unfair advantage , I mean not all SU students are in a position to use this gym ..

Well my point was, mechanically he can hit the mid-range shot (8-10 feet). He can also drive and bank the ball. I've seen him do both. No question his shooting stroke is flat, but he can physically hit the shot if he doesn't think about it. If he hesitates, he's not effective. So I think it is a mental issue (confidence). JMO.

I've seen Craig Forth throw down thunder dunks on guys heads, Kaleb Joseph look like a NBA prospect against a top 10 team, Elvir Ovchina make it rain, and countless others make plays that are out of their realm. I'd love to be wrong but I doubt Roberson improves much of what we've already seen from him on the offensive side, almost zero improvement on that side of the ball since he arrived as a freshman.

I've seen Craig Forth throw down thunder dunks on guys heads, Kaleb Joseph look like a NBA prospect against a top 10 team, Elvir Ovchina make it rain, and countless others make plays that are out of their realm. I'd love to be wrong but I doubt Roberson improves much of what we've already seen from him on the offensive side, almost zero improvement on that side of the ball since he arrived as a freshman.
I'm not claiming he's a go-to offensive guy. All I'm saying is that he can make an occasional mid-range jumper. If he can do that, we become that much harder to defend. Either way, although his FT shooting is definitely getting worse, as a scorer he's clearly improving:

His FG percentage history over the 3 years is: .298; .443 and .526. So significantly better.
His 2pt percentage history is this: .333; .449; and .530. Also significant improvement.

These stats don't necessarily prove his jumpshot is better. He may be taking more shots in close with the increased RBing production. All the same, I wouldn't give up on his 10 footer.

That shot though... yikes
He's still doing that thing where he doesn't square his feet to the rim on half his attempts in the video. He could increase his percentage significantly just by doing that. It's not as if he needs to rush. No one's going to block that jumper.

That video is funny. The second Roberson throws up a 3 pointer, Boeheim will yank him out before the ball clangs off the back of the rim. There's no reason Roberson should be shooting outside of 12 feet. Just do what you do best... Grab every friggin rebound!

Look at those 3's rain down!! Man with Gillon and White in the fold with Lydon if Robey shoots from 3 we could be the college version of the dubs. I kid, but I think he will have a really good year. I think people are kind of forgetting about him and how much energy he can bring. I think with Lydon and are good perimeter players he will be really important being active.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom