Puncher's Chance | Syracusefan.com

Puncher's Chance

st_machine

Walk On
Trying to be as positive as possible. We prolly have a punchers chance of winning all of the games going forward.
so we could win 4-5 or lose 4-5 but prolly end up somewhere in between. Hopefully the D can keep the
team in games long enough so maybe we can get enough big plays to win the game. as ugly as nc state was, SU
could've stolen it at the end. I think if we're going to win, we're going to win ugly.
That being said, I think the lack of discipline and stupid penalties has cost this team 2 wins per year since Babers has been here. That has nothing to do with the talent level. Although wins are the main goal, seeing a team play well - even if they lose, makes for a good fan experience. Seeing the team look unprepared and playing like crap, and maybe stealing a win, is not that fun to watch.
I looked back, we have been "waiting for the elephants to grow up" on the o-line for 4 yrs now. Surely there are offensive schemes that can be run behind a mediocre line that are more effective than what we've been doing.
SU may not be able to recruit an Alabama/Clemson level team yr in, yr out, but I do not accept the notion that
we cannot and have not recruited well enough to be competitive where we are.It's not a murderers row out there. What I'd like to see?
1.tighten up the ship. Should be able to discipline the team to win 1 more game than we would at our current level of discipline.A better disciplined team could have won that nc state game. Top 10 in penalties? c'mon!
2. Coach TD! With the right tools, any player can make better decisions, and if you could cut down on 30% of his mistakes , that would go a long way towards winning ballgames. It's like swinging at bad pitches in baseball, or taking bad shots in basketball. He hasn't looked prepped for the different house fires he's been facing. Some is on him, but some is on the staff.
3. Instead of complaining about the line and futilely running it up the middle ad nauseum, mix up the play calling and run plays that might have a shot at working. (definition of insanity: doing the same thing and expecting different results). It's been 4 yrs of this!
It's all doable with the team we have right now. That said, i see more 2-3 wins...but i think 4-5 is possible with a couple breaks our way.

I think the Home vs Road aspect of things and our reliance on the Dome isn't being considered enough and we need to have lower expectations for road games and conversely higher at home in the Dome.

We beat NC St if that game was at home.

The really sad thing is this isn't a 1 off year with a fluke start that gives us no winnable home ACC game until week 8. Next year its the same garbage just worse. Can we play well @ Buttgers not saying we lose but it might be like Liberty where we don't look good. WMU could have beat us in the Dome 3rd game in 3 years its just a crappy game to schedule all the way around. We'll be lucky to win both upcoming games against them. Week 1 humiliation @ Clemson likely. Etc etc etc etc.

I think we have a shot @ Duke, @ Ville, @ FSU but its impossible to pick any of those games and say our offense will play well. Pitt and BC we'll move the football. Wake is hard to predict because our season might be over last week of the season and everything.

We can win everyone of the games left. But I expect to lose all but BC. IMO NC State is the third worst team on our schedule this year. That performance coming off of a bye has me severely deflated.

Agree. A team that has a solid defense like I believe we do and has great special teams like I know we do should not be a bad football team but we are a bad football team. Offense is terrible, discipline is terrible, upperclassmen leadership is terrible. You don’t need 5 star recruits for those things to be good. The ACC is terrible, our OOC schedule was not hard and we are staring at 4-8. Depressing. Dino, Lustig and Monroe are the keepers but blow up the rest of the staff if necessary and if any of the whiny players want to leave like Taj, then leave.

We can win everyone of the games left. But I expect to lose all but BC. IMO NC State is the third worst team on our schedule this year. That performance coming off of a bye has me severely deflated.

3rd worst? No. They have a pretty good D. They are #1 vs the run in the conference.

I WANT TO PARTY WITH THIS GUY

The bottom line is recruiting has been bad. We’ve had to cobble together an offensive lines since Dino came here. After four years we still don’t have an ACC line. We still lack ACC players up and down our lineup. They will try to bring in other fifth year seniors again because our Oline recruits aren’t good enough. After four years Dino has only brought in one decent quarterback and none yet for next year. I like Dino, but recruiting has not been good enough for this league.

This is the ACC and it is weak as can get. I wouldn’t be surprised if SU wins or loses out.
I'd be ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED if SU wins out... not surprised if we lose out... like an earlier poster said, NC State was one of our easiest games, cant win that then I dunno how many we can win. Our offense looks historically bad. I've said it many times, and I said I'll admit I'm wrong if we win 5 or more, but I've got 4-8

Axe Lynch!!
I was under the impression that HCDFB is very involved with the offense and game planning and in game play calls...could have sworn someone shared that who is in the know on this board. If that’s the case, I am not sure that axing Lynch does what you hope.

I was under the impression that HCDFB is very involved with the offense and game planning and in game play calls...could have sworn someone shared that who is in the know on this board. If that’s the case, I am not sure that axing Lynch does what you hope.
To that I’d say, what value does Lynch then bring to the table?

Not certain of the answer. Dino’s trust? Experience? Not sure. Again going off what I thought I saw on this board from very reliable poster at the start of the season after the Maryland beat down.

We can't score points. I would say that there is a zero percent chance we win out. We would be lucky to go 6-6. This year is about building to next year. Dino is saying it himself. "Starting over with a new group". Not encouraging to me. Although, in fairness, I think Dino has been dropping subtle hints about this team since the preseason. New QB...Oline...Lb's...etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom