Purdue Postgame Party... | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Purdue Postgame Party...

If I saw it right, it was the Head official that overruled the other two and the head official, of course, that watched the review and upheld his own call. I think he did it just so not to embarrass himself.
He needs to focus on his core experience in the future. Uber driving.

It's tough because the game was on NBC. But I recorded it locally, and I think it's between 6:20 (clock running), 6:13 (the pile), and 6:05 (review) left in the 4th quarter.

If Sparrow - on the right - had grabbed it and held possession, it would have been SU ball no doubt. But it fell between his legs, at which there was no way to show who actually had possession.

View attachment 231277
Thanks!

So my official friend says that the ball needs to be grasped with hands / arms to be considered possession. The leg squeeze doesn't count, which explains why Purdue was given possession.

This is clearly AI. I was told in no uncertain terms that the broadcast team was rooting for Purdue.

I just rewatched the game this morning with it being the first time hearing the broadcast. I thought it was a pretty even commentary with just a few mistakes, like stating our second game was against Western Kentucky. It certainly was nothing like a homer broadcast of, say, Notre Dame.

I just rewatched the game this morning with it being the first time hearing the broadcast. I thought it was a pretty even commentary with just a few mistakes, like stating our second game was against Western Kentucky. It certainly was nothing like a homer broadcast of, say, Notre Dame.
It was a very good broadcast from Eagle. Black ledge has stunk for 20 years so it’s no surprise he made mistakes.

Thanks!

So my official friend says that the ball needs to be grasped with hands / arms to be considered possession. The leg squeeze doesn't count, which explains why Purdue was given possession.
Still confused, ball was loose , was in Syracuse possession when unpiled shouldn’t matter that it was between legs at one point. Guess I’m just too thick .

If I saw it right, it was the Head official that overruled the other two and the head official, of course, that watched the review and upheld his own call. I think he did it just so not to embarrass himself.
Yup. And for a split second there I think he fought back the urge to declare that after review the call was "confirmed."

I thought we’d smash Purdue and we did. Army is a weird one. Would expect a curb stomping with this team but I think we’re gonna have a bit of a hangover game. Will still win convincingly I just don’t think it will be pretty.
Yep classic hangover game D735CDD4-7F74-4C63-9A4C-30685CE2831D.png

NBC was showing the sideline at the end of the game and you could clearly see Jones (80) walking around. He didn’t have his helmet on at the time, but he seemed to be walking around well to me in the short clip you could see him.
He Came down hard on is surgically repaired shoulder. Hope he’s ok

Found another mistake i believe in the re watch. At the end of the 1H- on Wax's INT he went out at the 50. The face mask penalty is 15 yards from the end of the run but they gave us the ball at the Purdue 40 not the Purdue 35. It's not 15 from the spot of the foul it's 15 from the end of the run correct?

Thanks!

No way you could see who had possession in the pile. When everyone got off the pile, the SU player had the ball clearly in his possession. Why did they not determine possession at that point like every other fumble?

Still confused, ball was loose , was in Syracuse possession when unpiled shouldn’t matter that it was between legs at one point. Guess I’m just too thick .
It's not who comes out of the pile with the ball. It's who is perceived to have the ball when the play is blown dead.

No way you could see who had possession in the pile. When everyone got off the pile, the SU player had the ball clearly in his possession. Why did they not determine possession at that point like every other fumble?
Because by the letter of the law, possession isn't determined by who comes out of the pile with the ball.

It's not who comes out of the pile with the ball. It's who is perceived to have the ball when the play is blown dead.
Right but what did the overruling official see, or think he saw?

At no point from the one camera angle did it look like a Purdue player had possession. Even when the ball was leg cradled it was all Syracuse jerseys on top of the pile.

At no point from the one camera angle did it look like a Purdue player had possession. Even when the ball was leg cradled it was all Syracuse jerseys on top of the pile.
That's where it gets murky. But Syracuse wasn't possessing the ball because it was in a mix of a tangle of legs. I don't know the extent of assumption of who has it. Was the Purdue player given credit for recovery because he dove in hands first? I don't know. All I can say is that the ball wasn't "possessed" by Syracuse players because legs don't count, and that possession is not determined by who comes out of the pile with it, at least in the ideal world.

I get that the play is over when whistle blows but how many times do we see refs trying to sift through a pile of bodies to see who has the ball , unless we had a quick whistle , that would be understandable, refs “ sorry we screwed up”

The head official overruled the call and he could only do so if he thought Purdue had possession. It's the only way that he can make that call. Of course, he then reviewed his own call on replay.

Made a comment in the game thread on the phantom face mask call, you cannot see something that did not happen, and you should not call something you did not see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom