Class of 2024 - QB Andy Bass (OK) Verbal to Oklahoma | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 QB Andy Bass (OK) Verbal to Oklahoma

Andy Bass was supposedly getting NIL as a walk-on at OU and even if it didn’t work out that way he was talking about it as a possibility a month ago. So it was clearly discussed with him as a recruit.

From OU Rivals re: Oklahoma’s offer - “As far scholarship and school being paid for, my whole school will get paid for through NIL. So I wouldn’t have to worry about that. It’s basically a scholarship without the label…” the OU offer is a PWO, same as Kansas St.

Who in their right mind is paying a walk-on promotional money based on merri?
I missed that comment but in that case stupid money is free to be spent stupidly

Because it’s against the rules.

aka - cheating.

What’s the point of even having rules, if they’re going to be broken?

There’s no 85 scholarship limit, when schools are openly circumventing that rule (cheating) by offering “NIL” to players 86+.
Precisely. It circumvents the scholarship limit. And in a way that’s not legal per the NCAA’s rules on NIL.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

You know they dont? You're judging these guys based on nothing else than the fact that they play football. All football players have to be dumb? None of them could possibly qualify for scholarships? Plenty of which can be gotten by anyone with half a brain? These kids aren't exactly contending to get into Duke or Stanford here.

Idk if things have changed since I graduated 8 years ago but my average GPA and average extracurriculars got me some serious scholarship money, some were essentially full tuition (not including room and board). We wont even talk about the subjectivity that comes into consideration when handing out academic scholarships (a 3.7 from a student who does nothing outside of classes does not earn a scholarship over a 3 time varsity letter winner with a 3.5). I am not sure how this is even an argument, I think we have all met enough guys who walk on to sports teams to recognize they aren't meat head idiots.
Yes I do! The odds are too great otherwise. It’s not that hard.

You know they dont? You're judging these guys based on nothing else than the fact that they play football. All football players have to be dumb? None of them could possibly qualify for scholarships? Plenty of which can be gotten by anyone with half a brain? These kids aren't exactly contending to get into Duke or Stanford here.

Idk if things have changed since I graduated 8 years ago but my average GPA and average extracurriculars got me some serious scholarship money, some were essentially full tuition (not including room and board). We wont even talk about the subjectivity that comes into consideration when handing out academic scholarships (a 3.7 from a student who does nothing outside of classes does not earn a scholarship over a 3 time varsity letter winner with a 3.5). I am not sure how this is even an argument, I think we have all met enough guys who walk on to sports teams to recognize they aren't meat head idiots.
Why can you not understand that the NCAA has rules for who can be on a football team? Those rules state that there can be a maximum of 85 scholarship players period. Noone can receive any other type of cash assistance period. Enforcement of those rules is another matter.

Football players being put on academic scholies is also against the rules established by the NCAA, whether they enforce them or not is another question.
Well bye bye Ivy League then

Well bye bye Ivy League then
And that is where enforcement comes in, because the high and mighty Ivies do not give athletic scholies the NCAA just does not enforce the rules for them. They are not considered major football.
All bowl division teams do fall under the rules and any circumventing of those rules is cheating. Whether the NCAA chooses to enforce the rules against cheating established by the NCAA is on them, but if they do not all semblance of fairness is out the window, and then why should any member school follow any of the NCAA rules?

A caveat on enforcement is that a member school must file a complaint to the NCAA about another school violating the rules before the NCAA takes any action on the allegation of a violation. With the can of worms opened by NIL now, the NCAA will probably be up to their eyeballs with such complaints.

The best way the NCAA could handle this is to send out a clarification of the football elligible rules under NIL. But that would mean the NCAA is an efficient organisation and there is no evidence that is the case.

Last edited:
Football players being put on academic scholies is also against the rules established by the NCAA, whether they enforce them or not is another question.
I forgot about that rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom