Class of 2018 - QB Cade Fortin (GA) Committed to USF | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 QB Cade Fortin (GA) Committed to USF

True. But I suspect that many who don't sign have grade issues.

I'm sure that we'll find a patch of some sort. I just don't understand why we continue to find ourselves in this position. It's not like we're running the Wing-T.
I'm sure academics are an issue for some but I think there are many that because of football season restraints didn't take ovs, didn't get offers until after the season and others who wanted better offers.

He was a nice surprise as a freshman and then got hurt for at least the last four games and Zach filled in. I will agree with you though, ED was good as a freshman under Shafer.
You could tell how good Dungey was as a freshman when I watched the fall scrimmage that year

It was noticable how much better he was than all the other QB's on the roster at the time.

Culpepper had offers from Clemson, Ohio State and Florida. He played at powerhouse Plant High in Tampa. He's got football smarts, his father played a long time in the NFL. He's also big and physical, so much that he switched to tight end when we had a glut of QBs. We are fine with Rex at QB. Stop worrying.

Love Rex. Rex is a hero.

But if he’s our Plan B at quarterback, we made a mistake taking Summers.

I want talent. I also think DeVito is good enough that I want a depth QB and a piece for the future not a guy who is going to expect to be the guy from day 1.
Joe Fields was ruined because we rushed him into QB instead of just going with Perry Patterson.
There was talk Fields was promised the start. That ruined him. I don’t want a QB coming in expecting to start. When we have a decent prospect.
I believe Fortin didn’t come here because he didn’t think he would start day 1. I don’t want those guys.
i want guys who feel that they have a chance to compete ---dino essentially has put the message that you do not have a chance to start tommy is my man. ---no offense to td but dino is wrong to do so.---dino has issues with misplaced loyalty that costs the team and fans problems. he needs to have a course in management

i want guys who feel that they have a chance to compete ---dino essentially has put the message that you do not have a chance to start tommy is my man. ---no offense to td but dino is wrong to do so.---dino has issues with misplaced loyalty that costs the team and fans problems. he needs to have a course in management
This is so ludicrous I don't know where to begin.

I'm sure academics are an issue for some but I think there are many that because of football season restraints didn't take ovs, didn't get offers until after the season and others who wanted better offers.

I went to the 247 site. I found their list of ranked 2020 QB's:

2020 Top Quarterback Recruits

First uncommitted QB I could find with any SU interest was this guy, the 60th-ranked QB:

Katravis Marsh, Miami Central , Pro-Style Quarterback

and he doesn't have an SU offer, but he's interested.

Here's one who has an offer, and he's still open:

Mekhi Hagens Recruit Interests

That's it for the top 100 listed QB's (Hornsby is not considering us, Vallari is projected to Michigan).

That's, uh, not good. I admit, I'm PO'd about this state of affairs.

Last edited:

So Babers was recruiting a transfer QB to play next year (like Fortin) by telling him “DeVito is my man.”??

How do you explain Dino going after Fortin then?

So Babers was recruiting a transfer QB to play next year (like Fortin) by telling him “DeVito is my man.”??

How do you explain Dino going after Fortin then?
Nothing else to do, so...
1576633477477.gif

Culpepper had offers from Clemson, Ohio State and Florida. He played at powerhouse Plant High in Tampa. He's got football smarts, his father played a long time in the NFL. He's also big and physical, so much that he switched to tight end when we had a glut of QBs. We are fine with Rex at QB. Stop worrying.

I’m worried. Sorry.

Love Rex. Rex is a hero.

But if he’s our Plan B at quarterback, we made a mistake taking Summers.

I think Summers was somewhat of a desperation move. We needed a QB late in the process. He became available. It’s probably going to be similar this year. Most of the good high school QBs have already been recruited and are ready to sign. Maybe we get lucky with a sleeper or a transfer. But we’re sliding into desperation mode.

Everything is solved by snagging a transfer with either 2 or 3 years left that can be the next guy up. If TD gets injured next season you're screwed but they gotta work that portal. It's the only real option to even the talent level to a point where we can compete consistently with Top 25 P5 programs.

I think Summers was somewhat of a desperation move. We needed a QB late in the process. He became available. It’s probably going to be similar this year. Most of the good high school QBs have already been recruited and are ready to sign. Maybe we get lucky with a sleeper or a transfer. But we’re sliding into desperation mode.

For the second straight year.

At the point where we almost need three QBs in 2021. Two HS and a JUCO or Transfer

Then probably need another two in 2022

Also need 4-5 DT and 4-5 OL next year

Nassib never played a down for dunderhead Robinson. I give credit to dunderhead for recruiting him but DM developed him. And developed him well, he let Paulus play but Nassib got valuable playing time as a redshirt freshman.
Marrone never brought in a good qb.

At the point where we almost need three QBs in 2021. Two HS and a JUCO or Transfer

This is actually scary to think about.

5 DT and 5 OL? where are you figuring that?

5 DT and 5 OL? where are you figuring that?
Lose three OL to graduation next year
Clark (OL) was just Med DQ
Usually attrition at OL on top of that

Should be DL not just DT

DL loses 3-4 to graduation next year
Who knows what attrition might hit there

Let's stop right there. Dungey was very good as a freshman. And he was brought in by Shafer. Period. That is a fact. When Dino brings in someone as good as Dungey, I'll give him credit for it. So far, he hasn't. TD's star rating notwithstanding. I suppose you want to give Marrone credit for Nassib as well? I don't.

<whispers>Sophomore DeVito > Sophomore Dungey</whispers>

Marrone never brought in a good qb.

It is sort of ironic that the two clear cut best QBs this century were brought in by the two clear cut worst coaches this century.

Although we could credit the two successors to those two worst coaches for developing them, if we were so inclined.

This recruiting offseason has reminded me of the last 1-2 years of the Pasqualoni era. Recruiting was not good enough and other NE schools were resetting with new coaching staffs that could recruit. Ugh.

Also, what was that about the impact of relationships with regards to Ndukwe? It took 10 minutes from a new group of 5 coaching staff to convince Fortin.
Bags gotta be bags:)