Class of 2020 - QB Dillon Markiewicz (TX) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/20) | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Dillon Markiewicz (TX) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/20)

Well the Dome will be ready for the spring game in 2021 and then we can get a slight idea on how these guys are.

LOL. Well at least they were smart enough to change Big Apple to Empire State. I mean, I know Texas is big, but New York is kinda big too.

GoOrangeDillonOrFrbdTVkj51.gif

LOL. Well at least they were smart enough to change Big Apple to Empire State. I mean, I know Texas is big, but New York is kinda big too.
I grew up in San Antonio and when I told everyone I was going to Syracuse they all thought I was going to NYC. I tried to explain many times that Syracuse is a 4 hour drive (that's how you calculate distance in Texas) from NYC though very few comprehended it.

As A Syracuse grad who lives in Texas I can answer that question. Stephen F Austin and Texas St are the only Division 1 teams to attend 3 or 4 of his games live and see the 98% of the plays NOT in his highlight package. But SFA has a good returning qb and the Texas backup qb from transfer portal Sam Saxton. So this kid would've possibly never saw the field until 2023.
So why didn't Texas St offer?

Sam Saxton was a true freshman walk on QB at Texas. Lets not give the impression that SFA picked up some former Texas level recruit who got passed over by a total stud. He was a walk on and not the kind of player that even SFA would shut down QB recruiting for. SFA is a FCS team - if they had a legit shot at a P5 caliber QB, they would fall all over themselves to try to bring that guy in, regardless of whether or not a former walk on at Texas was already there.

If seeing 3 or 4 live games is a prerequisite for truly appreciating a player's talent (it isn't), then why did Syracuse offer? Syracuse didn't see 3 or 4 of his live games. His teammate is the best tight end prospect in Texas with dozens of offers. Did the dozens of schools recruiting him somehow not even notice the QB throwing the ball?

I default back to the post I made a week or so ago. It is ok to wish for the best and at the same time acknowledge the offer is a flier made out of desperation due to striking out on the position. Football is a funny game and recruiting isn't a clear cut and efficient sorting of talent, so there is reason to hope for big things. Just don't lie to yourself that there is some magical insight Syracuse has that dozens of other schools have missed.

I grew up in San Antonio and when I told everyone I was going to Syracuse they all thought I was going to NYC. I tried to explain many times that Syracuse is a 4 hour drive (that's how you calculate distance in Texas) from NYC though very few comprehended it.
I moved to Utah back in 2000. People asked where I was from, I said Syracuse, thinking they'd know it from the University. Everybody said "oh, I have a cousin that lives there." Seemed weird. There were a whole lot of cousins living in Syracuse with family in Utah, it seemed.

Come to find out, there's a city in Utah called Syracuse. That's where they thought I was from.

So why didn't Texas St offer?

Sam Saxton was a true freshman walk on QB at Texas. Lets not give the impression that SFA picked up some former Texas level recruit who got passed over by a total stud. He was a walk on and not the kind of player that even SFA would shut down QB recruiting for. SFA is a FCS team - if they had a legit shot at a P5 caliber QB, they would fall all over themselves to try to bring that guy in, regardless of whether or not a former walk on at Texas was already there.

If seeing 3 or 4 live games is a prerequisite for truly appreciating a player's talent (it isn't), then why did Syracuse offer? Syracuse didn't see 3 or 4 of his live games. His teammate is the best tight end prospect in Texas with dozens of offers. Did the dozens of schools recruiting him somehow not even notice the QB throwing the ball?

I default back to the post I made a week or so ago. It is ok to wish for the best and at the same time acknowledge the offer is a flier made out of desperation due to striking out on the position. Football is a funny game and recruiting isn't a clear cut and efficient sorting of talent, so there is reason to hope for big things. Just don't lie to yourself that there is some magical insight Syracuse has that dozens of other schools have missed.

There is an easy answer to your question that goes into what his HS coach said:

"Class of 2020 quarterback Dillon Markiewicz, Fecci told Gilbert, was still available and waiting on a Football Bowl Subdivision opportunity. "

He wanted to go FBS. As someone who recruited baseball players to a NAIA school, I can't make someone pick up the phone when I call or leave a message. I can't offer you if I can't talk to you. I was ghosted by a lot of kids that get hung up on having to be D-1.

I take that quote to mean he was going FBS or he was going JUCO.

I moved to Utah back in 2000. People asked where I was from, I said Syracuse, thinking they'd know it from the University. Everybody said "oh, I have a cousin that lives there." Seemed weird. There were a whole lot of cousins living in Syracuse with family in Utah, it seemed.

Come to find out, there's a city in Utah called Syracuse. That's where they thought I was from.
I thought the punch line was going to have something to do with Mormons.

I fell for that too when I first moved here...got all excited when I saw a youth basketball team from Syracuse. They wore orange and blue too...got a funny look when I said it was a long way to travel for a youth tournament.

going thru Hudl, its pretty crazy how many of these big Stats texas QBs dont even get looked at, either its competition or grades or the systems colleges dont like. system or not its big time down there and his QB ratings are among the best in the state.

Maybe that’s where the University of Syracuse is located.

Excellent. Love being wrong about this late flip thing and now SU actually has depth at the QB position and as good as I can remember even though young.