Class of 2019 - QB Joey Yellen (CA) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Joey Yellen (CA)

SUforme

All American
Looks like their is some followage in the Twitter verse.Yellen is in the transfer portal from ASU. Not sure if this means anything on Fortin.

Last edited:
Looks like their is some followage in the Twitter verse.Yellen is in the transfer portal from ASU. Not sure if this means anything on Fortin or not.

Stop following me. ;)

Don’t think I would complain if we got this guy and didn’t get Fortin. I would like either of them though

I get so confused on transfers. Would Yellen or Fortin be able to play immediately?

Our OL was pretty darn good at the end of the year
I agree and if we add a few more pieces to it that we are trying to get, will help it a lot too. Nothing wrong with a pro style qb, look at LSU. Don't take me wrong ,I'm not against some versatility where the qb can tuck the ball in and put his kicks in gear.

I agree and if we add a few more pieces to it that we are trying to get, will help it a lot too. Nothing wrong with a pro style qb, look at LSU. Don't take me wrong ,I'm not against some versatility where the qb can tuck the ball in and put his kicks in gear.

Just remember that SU has enjoyed its greatest success over the last 35 years with a dual-threat QB.

I would offer this kid as soon as possible. He got good size, strong and accurate arm and he hangs in the pocket really well and runs a very nice RPO. He would definitely be an asset to our team. Hope we are following or in touch.

So this is telling me we are looking for talented QBs that have fallen through the cracks at the schools they are at.

I kind of like this prospect better then Fortin in terms of this kid would be a RS next year and We might not get Fortin’s best utilization if he is behind TD for a couple years. Others will say “let them compete and it will work out” and I understand that. But, it’s looking like TD for the next two years, so this kid would have more time to see the field in his career here IMO.

Just remember that SU has enjoyed its greatest success over the last 35 years with a dual-threat QB.
I'm not saying stay away from a dual threat QB. You need other options when you see certain problems in our QB situation. And I do remember the days of McNabb, Graves, 35 years ago and yes they were exciting and we were winning also. Not against hitting that again but you have to make sure you have the quality of the guys.

I just want SU to have a recognizable style. That was what was so great with DeLeone and the freeze option. We were unique, and it showed with McPherson, McDonald, Graves, McNabb. (Maybe we need to recruit more Scottish QBs?)

I was juiced when Babers came in for the OITNF system. He obviously had to table that for most of this year. And now so many other teams employ the up-tempo style that it’s difficult to stand out.

I think for a team like SU, it’s important to be unique. What that is, I have no idea. But last year with Dungey running the O was about as unique as we’ve been in the last 20 years. Maybe we morph into a quick strike passing team with a healthy mix of inside running with DeVito. But until that is proven, I agree with the dual threat style.

So this is telling me we are looking for talented QBs that have fallen through the cracks at the schools they are at.

I kind of like this prospect better then Fortin in terms of this kid would be a RS next year and We might not get Fortin’s best utilization if he is behind TD for a couple years. Others will say “let them compete and it will work out” and I understand that. But, it’s looking like TD for the next two years, so this kid would have more time to see the field in his career here IMO.
It will be TD the next two years if we are winning. If we are not winning the coaches won't stand for that and have to make a change. ( if that is where the problem is.) They may not be around as coaches if they don't.

I would think the plan is to get 2 QBs. We're quite thin at QB.

This is a thread about Joey Yellen. Not a thread about the style of QB we should recruit, not a thread about what we did 3 decades ago. Start your own thread and take all these philosophical discussions to the main board.

Thanks.

I just want SU to have a recognizable style. That was what was so great with DeLeone and the freeze option. We were unique, and it showed with McPherson, McDonald, Graves, McNabb. (Maybe we need to recruit more Scottish QBs?)

I was juiced when Babers came in for the OITNF system. He obviously had to table that for most of this year. And now so many other teams employ the up-tempo style that it’s difficult to stand out.

I think for a team like SU, it’s important to be unique. What that is, I have no idea. But last year with Dungey running the O was about as unique as we’ve been in the last 20 years. Maybe we morph into a quick strike passing team with a healthy mix of inside running with DeVito. But until that is proven, I agree with the dual threat style.
A hurry up offense is still unique regionally. I do think we'll return to that, and for where we are, both in terms of having the Dome and for establishing a meaningful identity, it works.

This is a thread about Joey Yellen. Not a thread about the style of QB we should recruit, not a thread about what we did 3 decades ago. Start your own thread and take all these philosophical discussions to the main board.

Thanks.
So... would Joe Yellen be the second most dual option oriented we have recruited in the last two decades

But what happens if TD is injured next year?

Thanks.
No