Class of 2016 - QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word

I thought that he was just confused she asked him that question since it was already public he was going to SU so he was caught offguard.

I felt the same way. I think he can be a good player, but he is only a 3* guy (regardless of how much faith you put into that system). It is not like Alabama or LSU is recruiting him. According to ESPN, the biggest non-service school offers he got was from New Mexico and Ark St.

I thought that he was just confused she asked him that question since it was already public he was going to SU so he was caught offguard.
Agreed. There didn't seem to be much research done into who was committed and where. The broadcasters seemed to be under the impression Tisdale was still a Florida commit, for example.

Could definitely be--his response seemed vague ["I committed to..."]. But she DID say something about him wanting to "announce" on ESPN, so...

Hope it is a good sign, though. This kid seems legit, and we need all the playmakers we can get.

I felt the same way. I think he can be a good player, but he is only a 3* guy (regardless of how much faith you put into that system). It is not like Alabama or LSU is recruiting him. According to ESPN, the biggest non-service school offers he got was from New Mexico and Ark St.

A 3* who has been universally recognized as being the top QB in a great football recruiting state, though. What's held him back is height--make no mistake.

He DEFINITELY does NOT have prototype size for a QB, but if you can play you can play. If he was 6-2, he'd have a slew of SEC offers and LSU would be all over him. I believe that wholeheartedly, especially after seeing the Skowt correspondent assigned to Louisiana waxing despondent about him committing to us. Good gamble for a program like ours in that regard.

A 3* who has been universally recognized as being the top QB in a great football recruiting state, though. What's held him back is height--make no mistake.

He DEFINITELY does NOT have prototype size for a QB, but if you can play you can play. If he was 6-2, he'd have a slew of SEC offers and LSU would be all over him. I believe that wholeheartedly, especially after seeing the Skowt correspondent assigned to Louisiana waxing despondent about him committing to us. Good gamble for a program like ours in that regard.
I believe that entirely, too. I've said before and I'll keep saying, if this kid was 6-4 instead of 5-11, he'd be the gem in LSU's recruiting class.

I believe that entirely, too. I've said before and I'll keep saying, if this kid was 6-4 instead of 5-11, he'd be the gem in LSU's recruiting class.

And by NO MEANS am I suggesting that height shouldn't be a factor when evaluating QBs, just that it is one of the measurables that can be overcome if a prospect has talent. And Scott has talent.

NFL prototypes be damned--if the kid has a great collegiate career but doesn't translate to an NFL QB prospect, I'll take it. That's why I feel it is a worthwhile gamble for SU. I understand 100% why LSU might have passed, as they can reel in top NFL caliber talent, and this kid just doesn't fit the profile.

But I have a feeling they'll rue the day they passed on a kid with his capabilities over height.

And I'm encouraged by what BGSU's 5-11 QB accomplished this year. Scott has ALL of the tools to be dynamic in Babers's system.

And by NO MEANS am I suggesting that height shouldn't be a factor, just that it is one of the measurables that can be overcome if a prospect has talent. NFL prototypes be damned--if the kid has a great collegiate career but doesn't translate to an NFL QB prospect, I'll take it.
Agree entirely. If I were drafting for an NFL team, the height would be a massive part of the equation for me. But I've seen enough smaller QBs succeed at the college level that I don't really care, to be honest, as long as 1) his arm's good enough, 2) his legs are good enough, 3) he's smart enough, and 4) he's built solidly enough to take hits. That's part of why I never believed AJ Long would be the answer at QB, because his arm and his build just weren't good enough, and his legs weren't good enough to make up for having a slight build and a subpar arm.

Didn't see game but it's Great to know that despite all the taller 4 star QB's in on his team the coaches saw fit to start Scott and play him the entire game.

Didn't see game but it's Great to know that despite all the taller 4 star QB's in on his team the coaches saw fit to start Scott and play him the entire game.
Do we know to what schools those other 4 QBs are committed?

Agreed. There didn't seem to be much research done into who was committed and where. The broadcasters seemed to be under the impression Tisdale was still a Florida commit, for example.

The broadcasters were all over the place, particularly who was running the ball or who was catching it. One thing they got right, many, many times, was calling out Scott and Moe Neal to Syracuse. Even got in a couple "Syracuse to Syracuse connection" soundbites. Best thing was that Scott and Neal were playing with and against guys going to major P5 schools, not MAC or division II schools, and they held their own. It was awesome.

The broadcasters were all over the place, particularly who was running the ball or who was catching it. One thing they got right, many, many times, was calling out Scott and Moe Neal to Syracuse. Even got in a couple "Syracuse to Syracuse connection" soundbites. Best thing was that Scott and Neal were playing with and against guys going to major P5 schools, not MAC or division II schools, and they held their own. It was awesome.
Excellent observation.

Like what I saw, BUT, there's no doubt his height can be a hinderance. He looked much smaller than most of the players out there. That said, he can play.
We will see, he was looking at that reporter eye-to-eye in the sideline interview. Hopefully he gets here and can help us.

Agree entirely. If I were drafting for an NFL team, the height would be a massive part of the equation for me. But I've seen enough smaller QBs succeed at the college level that I don't really care, to be honest, as long as 1) his arm's good enough, 2) his legs are good enough, 3) he's smart enough, and 4) he's built solidly enough to take hits. That's part of why I never believed AJ Long would be the answer at QB, because his arm and his build just weren't good enough, and his legs weren't good enough to make up for having a slight build and a subpar arm.
In other words, if AJ were bigger, stronger, faster, and had a better arm he would have been successful here?

In other words, if AJ were bigger, stronger, faster, and had a better arm he would have been successful here?
Scott is light years better than Long was as a HS senior. They're about the same height but Scott has at least 30 lbs on AJ. Scott is a much better athlete with a much stronger arm.

Ok I guess? This board went bananas when Long brought his tattoo'd bicep to campus. Long was tiny and looked like he'd be swallowed whole when he stepped onto the field. As has already been debated ad nauseum there are only so many little quarterbacks that can be successful at this height at this level of competition. The odds are not in Scott's favor, but given our current qb situation it's probably worth it to take a flyer on multiple qb's until we find one that can play. This seems to be our lot in life since #5 left us. At this point I will take whatever we can get.
Big difference is AJ was about 170 pounds soaking wet. Scott is every bit of 205. He's also got a much stronger arm. That gives him a leg up.

It was a good event for the program all the way around. Scott and Neal are both solid prospects and regardless of what position they ultimately play here, they are both credits to the class and I'm sure they will make an impact on the program before they leave.

Russell Wilson, Devon Hester, Steve Smith, Santana Moss, DeSean Jackson, Santanio Holmes, Greg Jennings, Wes Welker and the Honey Badger send their regards.

Offer list be damn. Look at the stats the kid put up against some damn good talent in his state. I've watched 2 of his games including the offense - defense ball and this kid can flat out play. I hope the kid comes here and lights it up, crow will be served :) (also us short guys stick together :cool:)

the WV QB seems to be doing fine at 6-0 200 and scott looks bigger than him.

Russell Wilson, Devon Hester, Steve Smith, Santana Moss, DeSean Jackson, Santanio Holmes, Greg Jennings, Wes Welker and the Honey Badger send their regards.
Doug Flutie was out of town (5'10 Heisman winner,, Only D 1 School to recruit him B.C.)

Last edited: