QB News From Dino | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

QB News From Dino

I thought he was favoring a shoulder last week after a hit but he seemed to shake it off. Maybe he didn't.

Nothing about Rex's skillset reminds me of a TE. The issue is getting the other two QB's to understand the offense enough so it can function. Its not just about their ability to throw quick game. The offense ability to check into certain run plays and take advantage of mix matches in the pass game depends on the QB knowing the calls. With the run plays, the mesh is very important. QB's footwork, how long he rides or pull it is significant. How you attack the midline determines how the LB's react and RB's reacts off them. I hope to see the freshman's more now that they've had increased reps but we can't hinder the run game just because we selfishly want to see them play. Won't be good for the offense and it can get them hurt.
I could be wrong but it seems that the checks are coming from the sideline. It’s one of the reasons I feel we have gone so slow this year. Even when TD was in it seemed to be occurring. If the checks are coming from the sideline it takes a lot off of the qb. If that is the case play the freshman they can look at the coaches as well as Rex.

prolly want to rewatch that one. TD had a bunch of great throws and a bad pick. But that was better than ED in that game - he was just as uneven. Doesn’t fit into narratives but a team win with some luck counts the same

Yeah, TD threw 3 TDs! Dungey was definitely struggling at that point in the year and his shoulder appeared to be giving him problems.

His bounce back performance in the NC State game is one of the all time legendary performances in SU football history as far as I’m concerned.

I could be wrong but it seems that the checks are coming from the sideline. It’s one of the reasons I feel we have gone so slow this year. Even when TD was in it seemed to be occurring. If the checks are coming from the sideline it takes a lot off of the qb. If that is the case play the freshman they can look at the coaches as well as Rex.
There is always the ability to change plays from the sideline. Every team does that. Maybe the staff is doing it more due to the situation so I think you have the right thought in terms of that. I’m sure it’s alleviates some of the pre snap stress for the QB’s like you said. The QB and RB still have to look at the defensive alignment to determine how the line is gonna block for particular plays. We currently have two guys playing RB for the first time in this scheme.

What people don’t understand is that its not just about pre snap calls and checks. Their plays have post reads. Meaning, certain plays are determine while the play is going on . It’s based on how the defense is reacting. Most of the passing game are from reads. Wr’s run their routes based on how the defense reacts. For this particular scheme, It’s very important for the QB to see the same thing the Wr’s see during the play.

Then you get into their post snap read plays. (RPO’s). The staff targets a defender that is in conflict. The QB has to make a decision based on that defender's reaction. These are all plays that make their offense flow. It takes time for a QB to learn and be efficient in it. Very hard to have a kid that has 2 weeks of practice in this scheme making in play decisions with your offense.

Last edited:
Yeah, TD threw 3 TDs! Dungey was definitely struggling at that point in the year and his shoulder appeared to be giving him problems.

His bounce back performance in the NC State game is one of the all time legendary performances in SU football history as far as I’m concerned.
Oh yeah, the game Dungey had against NC State was a statement. Genuinely asserted himself in the face of adversity. Was a bit shaky going into it. Major turning point.

Last night all they talked about was the 49ers injuries I wonder if we have the most this year?im waiting within hours we find out if tommy gets boot off ...
We could use him...and a whole host of other players at various positions...

Fingers crossed that all goes well for him.

Oh yeah, the game Dungey had against NC State was a statement. Genuinely asserted himself in the face of adversity. Was a bit shaky going into it. Major turning point.

I’ve rarely been more impressed with a player than I was with him that game. I went to the UNC game and he really struggled. Heard some whispers and just came out and took over against a good NC State team.

I’ve rarely been more impressed with a player than I was with him that game. I went to the UNC game and he really struggled. Heard some whispers and just came out and took over against a good NC State team.
Was it the UNC game where he got bailed out of a dumb play, kinda threw it forward in a way that could have been considered a fumble?

Was it the UNC game where he got bailed out of a dumb play, kinda threw it forward in a way that could have been considered a fumble?

Didn’t I say I was at the game? So I was obviously intoxicated and don’t remember!

Kidding, it was a nooner, I was fine. Don’t really remember that play. I remember that he had some good runs but his throws left one wondering if he was having some arm trouble. It’s what made DeVito’s long throws stick out so much. But then a week later, right off the bat, he’s throwing deep with all the arm strength in the world.

Nothing about Rex's skillset reminds me of a TE. The issue is getting the other two QB's to understand the offense enough so it can function. Its not just about their ability to throw quick game. The offense ability to check into certain run plays and take advantage of mix matches in the pass game depends on the QB knowing the calls. With the run plays, the mesh is very important. QB's footwork, how long he rides or pull it is significant. How you attack the midline determines how the LB's react and RB's reacts off them. I hope to see the freshman's more now that they've had increased reps but we can't hinder the run game just because we selfishly want to see them play. Won't be good for the offense and it can get them hurt.
I thought they moved Rex to TE last year, no?

I thought they moved Rex to TE last year, no?
Lol that’s all you got out of that? Yes, Rex helped fill a role there. That doesn’t mean he would have been a productive TE. Summers is currently playing TE too. These are team guys that will help in any way.

I still say Ed was hurt. He didn’t seem himself for a few games.

Today, we might be getting what we all asked for one way or the other. Let's see what the freshman's can do and how much of the playbook they can utilize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom