QB Starter Prediction | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

QB Starter Prediction

I just hope that if this a tough decision for the staff it is because both look good in camp. Not a lesser of two evils type thing, which sadly we've seen here more than we'd like since 1998.

With zero knowledge of how either guy looks, I'd lean Allen. Same rationale as others -- while I'm guessing the staff didn't "promise " him anything, why would he come half-way across the country to play for us unless he had reason to be very confident that he'd start.

My hunch is that Hunt would have to look like 2X the player Allen does in August for him to start.

I've heard this one a few times, and for me, it's about the last one on the list for me to think Allen would be the starter. He didn't pick Oklahoma to sit on the bench either. Sometimes guys have to sit on the bench because the starter outperformed them in practice and/or games.

May the best man win.

The difference being that at Oklahoma, Allen sat behind a heisman trophy winner and another NFL draft pick. Then, when it came time to determine who would succeed Landry, they opted to go with a younger QB.

I do agree that him simply coming here won't factor much into whether he wins the job, however; I doubt he was handed a "promise." I just think that he's going to prove more capable than many seem to expect, and give us the best chance to win this year.

Reactions: 007
I've heard this one a few times, and for me, it's about the last one on the list for me to think Allen would be the starter. He didn't pick Oklahoma to sit on the bench either. Sometimes guys have to sit on the bench because the starter outperformed them in practice and/or games.

I don't think Funderburke picked SU to sit on the bench either. If you have a telescope that's powerful enough to find him on the depth chart, let me know.

May the best man win.

I get it, but I'd say there's a difference between coming to a big time program with tons of competition as a true frosh and just never getting to start vs. coming to a mid-tier program as a 5th year senior and not starting.

I imagine he had other choices besides SU, right?

I love love love Terrell his strength through adversity but he did a bone head move committed a minor crime and missed spring practice in his most crucial year which put him slightly behind where he would be so I gotta vote for Drew with Terrell getting some reps to prepare him for next season. I also love Momma Hunt and Auntie Hunt some strong women in that family!

I'm thinking Allen gets the start... the dude definitely passes the look test, big guy (hopefully big arm) coming from a strong program.

I think it would be cool if they gave Hunt a series a game to groom him, not sure it that will happen though... I expect we will be in a lot of close games this year

I'm going to predict Terrel Hunt.

I would go for Hunt if he didn't miss an entire spring. In fact I will go so far as to say our coaches wouldn't even have pursued Allen if Hunt hadn't lost an entire spring.

The difference being that at Oklahoma, Allen sat behind a heisman trophy winner and another NFL draft pick. Then, when it came time to determine who would succeed Landry, they opted to go with a younger QB.

I do agree that him simply coming here won't factor much into whether he wins the job, however; I doubt he was handed a "promise." I just think that he's going to prove more capable than many seem to expect, and give us the best chance to win this year.

That's what I hope too. I hope he's great. But I just shake my head when I hear people say he was "promised" the starting job. That's staff suicide. There's no shame in being worse than the QBs he sat behind at Oklahoma. They were really good. But if I was on Oklahoma, I would have been on the bench behind those guys too. He has a lot to prove, and a short period of time, so let's hope he does it. And let's hope our new offensive staff is up to the challenge of getting him ready quickly. Whoever is starting won't be facing an easy defense in the first game.

I have to believe its a lot less hard for a 5th yr Qb that comes from a pretty wide open offense in Ok to pick up a new offense than it would have been for Paulus to come in cold and he did it. And its not like the returning kids had a 2-3 yr head start its pretty much new for all of them less a few weeks of spring practice.

I thought I read something that Oklahoma ran a similar offense last year

I thought I read something that Oklahoma ran a similar offense last year
Yeah I did too. That could mean he is more ready than Hunt. Regardless, it'll all begin to work out very soon when the boys start knocking heads!

A guy with one year to play that had options to go elsewhere doesn't come here to sit. Drew Allen will be starting and barring injury or massive incompetence it will be for the whole season.

From the "water is wet" school of thought, I predict whoever does best in preseason camp will be the starter.

From the seat of my pants, my wild ass guess would be Allen because of his pedigree (HS All American from Texas), his size, and who he played behind at Ok.

If Johnny Miller can re-enroll before August, I don't see anyone standing in his way.

He should be able to get an education release if he applies for it.

Drew Allen will be starting and barring injury or massive incompetence it will be for the whole season.

It wasn't massive incompetence, just slight

...that I'm an idiot? Haha.

Was going on spring football film from Oklahoma - clearly different than a real game setting.
I'm kidding. 90% including yours truly picked Allen

You restarted this thread--why? Looking to make enemies? Funny all the same!
Glad I didn't make any predictions, but I liked Hunt all along...:rolleyes:

You restarted this thread--why? Looking to make enemies? Funny all the same!
Glad I didn't make any predictions, but I liked Hunt all along...:rolleyes:
OrangePa restarted it. I just reveled in the restart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom