QB Todd Porter | Syracusefan.com

QB Todd Porter

Good to see we are extending 2014 offers early this year. Seems to be a change, rather than to wait until after LOI day then regroup. Could be an extension of the prior staffs efforts or in the new staffs networking prior to coming to SU.

If Petrino likes him enough to offer, that's a good sign to me. I don't know if he should shop around, though. Petrino is known for his loyalty

I don't like all these QB offers lately. Seems like their first choices are not listening, and I think they're reaching for anyone to bite now.

I do like the class of 14 offer, got to be proactive.

I don't like all these QB offers lately. Seems like their first choices are not listening, and I think they're reaching for anyone to bite now.

I hear you... some have made the comment that we should skip the QB offer this year if we can't get exactly who we want.

...then there is the issue of doing that and running into depth problems if kids failout/transfer, our starting QB gets hurt in the future or a combination of both.

Depth is important... it took us almost 3 years to dig out of the depth compounded with injury issues with Dougie, let's not forget...

Hopefully, we'll have a lot less mass exodous or strongarmed schollie pulls that we had with Dougie since their should be less of a transiition with Shafe...

I hear you... some have made the comment that we should skip the QB offer this year if we can't get exactly who we want.

...then there is the issue of doing that and running into depth problems if kids failout/transfer, our starting QB gets hurt in the future or a combination of both.

Depth is important... it took us almost 3 years to dig out of the depth compounded with injury issues with Dougie, let's not forget...

Hopefully, we'll have a lot less mass exodous or strongarmed schollie pulls that we had with Dougie since their should be less of a transiition with Shafe...

It's a lot easier to have a kid ride the pine and/or transfer if he doesn't work out than it is to have a couple of guys get hurt and have no suitable back up option. I'd rather error on the side of caution when it comes to QB based upon our track record over the past 10 years.

I think a big sign of positive progression in the program is the fact that we had 2 kids transfer after the season ended and they actually transferred to BCS programs!

This is not the case. Actually, that kid's film is impressive. Has great wheels and seems to throw a good ball. Illinois seems to be the new hotbed for recruits with this staff.

Give them some time before you think they are "reaching".

First choices? like who? It's January 22 and we lost one of our top QB's. So yeah we're looking to add another body who might be able to play at this level.

Anyone notice who we DIDNT offer?

First choices? like who? It's January 22 and we lost one of our top QB's. So yeah we're looking to add another body who might be able to play at this level.

Rouse?

He's a QB and he so far never got a Syracuse offer even though we're pounding the pavement right now.

Ah. Laviano. But that might just be because one cannot pry a player away from the Rutgers juggernaut.

Just an observation but it seems we couldn't even find a qb to accept an offer (one of quality) after McNabb for many years now we offer qb's al ovwr the country. Was P that bad of a recruiter? I guess he was.

Ah. Laviano. But that might just be because one cannot pry a player away from the Rutgers juggernaut.

laviano's only offer was rutgers. bc pulled their offer when they go the CT quarterback.

Kimble, O'Korn, and those are the ones we know about. They are reaching and I will tell you why. Any kid who takes the offer knows he is going to be second fiddle to Austin Wilson. Doesn't matter if hes more talented or not, he's going to be viewed as the second QB in this class. Why would a kid come to SU and sit for 4 years or have a shot at starting in the MAC from day one. I'm not saying this kid is no good but if he was SU material he would have been offered month's ago. Look at it from the kid's perspective, go to SU and maybe sit for 4 years or go to WKU and have a shot because the coach has been recruiting you for a long while.

This is not the case. Actually, that kid's film is impressive. Has great wheels and seems to throw a good ball. Illinois seems to be the new hotbed for recruits with this staff.

Give them some time before you think they are "reaching".
I couldn't agree more. Very impressive poise.

Kimble, O'Korn, and those are the ones we know about. They are reaching and I will tell you why. Any kid who takes the offer knows he is going to be second fiddle to Austin Wilson. Doesn't matter if hes more talented or not, he's going to be viewed as the second QB in this class. Why would a kid come to SU and sit for 4 years or have a shot at starting in the MAC from day one. I'm not saying this kid is no good but if he was SU material he would have been offered month's ago. Look at it from the kid's perspective, go to SU and maybe sit for 4 years or go to WKU and have a shot because the coach has been recruiting you for a long while.

Up until two weeks ago, Wilson was viewed as the second QB in the class behind Allen.

...so, is your point we never should have had Wilson to begin with?

Long while??... Petrino offered QB Porter one month ago and he visited WKU for the first time last friday and he committed to WKU then...

Next.

Do you have a crystal ball? Pretty big assumption. With all due respect to Austin Wilson and Terrell Hunt, there is zero inclination that either of those 2 guys will pan out.

Secondly, "if he was SU material he would have been offered month's ago" is a ridiculous statement. The previous staff already had their 2 QB's locked up in this class. Old staff leaves, we lose one of the QB recruits. New staff comes in, and immediately go to their recruiting areas to find another QB in this class as there has ALWAYS been an emphasis on having 2 QB's in the 2013 class. Our current roster makes that very apparent, and any coaching staff would not place all of their eggs into AW's cap, regardless if the kid is the next coming of Dan Marino. Injuries happen and you need depth in the event that one of the QB's doesn't pan out.

Thirdly, why in the heeeeeel would you go to WKU when you can go to a BCS school and compete basically with 1 or 2 other QB's for a long-term starting gig?

Have some faith in this staff. They are known recruiters so stop thinking that they are "reaching" because there are 3 new QB offers out there. Maybe they are weighing their options and making sure that they get in these kids' camps before LOI day.

I like him better then Kimble based on their 2 tapes. Seems to have a stronger arm.

Good to see we are extending 2014 offers early this year. Seems to be a change, rather than to wait until after LOI day then regroup. Could be an extension of the prior staffs efforts or in the new staffs networking prior to coming to SU.
We've done it the last few years. It's nothing new

He looks really good on the tape. It would be great to piss off Petrino right before signing day. For that reason alone it's a worth while offer.:D