QB u? | Syracusefan.com

QB u?

B

BillSU

Do you think we will get better QB recruits by achieving a better record? Sounds simple enough. Watching the recruiting cycle this year and the best available on our list, Coan and Hill, I didn’t get my hopes up and they went elsewhere. I assumed they would considering HC Babers has no record yet at SU and IMO will need to establish a winning one in order to get the most skilled and needed position on any team very interested and committed. There are other reasons - the success of the current SUQB and how long his remaining tenure is - the back - up talent and how good they are - these and many more things recruits consider while taking official trips to schools. Recruits have been looking at us and some, other than QB’s, have signed to play but it remains to be seen what the future holds in store for the Orange and how well we do against a very tough schedule not only QB’s but all positions. The 4 QB star recruit who has spent a redshirt year can’t effectively throw if the O’Line is porous. But the biggest reason is that HCDB has his work cut out for him as most of the QB talent in seventh and eighth grade are being recruited by the voracious SEC conference of FL, GA, KY, MISSOU, SC, VANDY, TN, BAMA, AUB, OLE MISS, MISS ST, and TX A&M. Most of the time the conference is successful in retaining top recruits especially QB’s and southern players tend to stay there and play close to home. We are involved with the same players but have to prove we are worthy much more than other schools including schools in our own conference. This has been mentioned many times, we have to keep the best NY, NJ, PA OH, QB recruits here and not give them a reason to go to WI or MD or points elsewhere. So, we keep our heads up and dash ahead for the next several years and hopefully our records are winning ones and better recruits take notice that SU is once again a very good football school to consider signing on and becoming a member of HCDB’s family. What do you think?

Do you think we will get better QB recruits by achieving a better record? Sounds simple enough. Watching the recruiting cycle this year and the best available on our list, Coan and Hill, I didn’t get my hopes up and they went elsewhere. I assumed they would considering HC Babers has no record yet at SU and IMO will need to establish a winning one in order to get the most skilled and needed position on any team very interested and committed. There are other reasons - the success of the current SUQB and how long his remaining tenure is - the back - up talent and how good they are - these and many more things recruits consider while taking official trips to schools. Recruits have been looking at us and some, other than QB’s, have signed to play but it remains to be seen what the future holds in store for the Orange and how well we do against a very tough schedule not only QB’s but all positions. The 4 QB star recruit who has spent a redshirt year can’t effectively throw if the O’Line is porous. But the biggest reason is that HCDB has his work cut out for him as most of the QB talent in seventh and eighth grade are being recruited by the voracious SEC conference of FL, GA, KY, MISSOU, SC, VANDY, TN, BAMA, AUB, OLE MISS, MISS ST, and TX A&M. Most of the time the conference is successful in retaining top recruits especially QB’s and southern players tend to stay there and play close to home. We are involved with the same players but have to prove we are worthy much more than other schools including schools in our own conference. This has been mentioned many times, we have to keep the best NY, NJ, PA OH, QB recruits here and not give them a reason to go to WI or MD or points elsewhere. So, we keep our heads up and dash ahead for the next several years and hopefully our records are winning ones and better recruits take notice that SU is once again a very good football school to consider signing on and becoming a member of HCDB’s family. What do you think?

At this point I just want to see good QBs back to back. When we were good, we always had a solid QB waiting in the wings. The last really solid QB we had before Dungey was Nassib. The QB play before him and after him weren't anything to write home about. If Dungey can build on what he started last year and have a successful career at SU, I think that if we want to be a consistent winner again, that it's imperative to have a smooth transition to our next successful QB. When SU was winning, even the stop gap guys like Todd Philcox were strong QBs.

Qb recruits will come. You have to remember babers isn't a known name yet. How many recruits do you think sit around watching bowling green. We know who he is because he's our coach. Give it a few years and as Syracuse starts showing off its offense on tv against the Acc teams then recruits will notice and come. Until then we are going to get the same kind of recruits we have always gotten. A few diamonds in the rough but mostly undersized projects. A 4/5 star kid isn't going to take a flyer on a guy saying he's going to have the fastest offense in the country. Have to prove your worth first.

Cusefan78 said:
Qb recruits will come. You have to remember babers isn't a known name yet. How many recruits do you think sit around watching bowling green. We know who he is because he's our coach. Give it a few years and as Syracuse starts showing off its offense on tv against the Acc teams then recruits will notice and come. Until then we are going to get the same kind of recruits we have always gotten. A few diamonds in the rough but mostly undersized projects. A 4/5 star kid isn't going to take a flyer on a guy saying he's going to have the fastest offense in the country. Have to prove your worth first.

I think we've already seen a modest increase in talent on offense in the last class and this one is off to a good start. But in general I agree.

Tommy DeVito went from holding a clipboard to 3 stars in 1 season.

if Bosco and him, continue to be Bosco and him...he will be 4 or 5 stars by December.

I think we've already seen a modest increase in talent on offense in the last class and this one is off to a good start. But in general I agree.

I expect we will like what the staff puts together in June-July. Even before he has actual SU results, Babers has a lot to sell with the Dome, the IPF, and his success on offense at BGSU.

At this point I just want to see good QBs back to back. When we were good, we always had a solid QB waiting in the wings. The last really solid QB we had before Dungey was Nassib. The QB play before him and after him weren't anything to write home about. If Dungey can build on what he started last year and have a successful career at SU, I think that if we want to be a consistent winner again, that it's imperative to have a smooth transition to our next successful QB. When SU was winning, even the stop gap guys like Todd Philcox were strong QBs.

It's pretty remarkable - bordering on Amazing, just Amazing! how robust Philcox's NFL career was, compared to the guys before and after him.

QBs that play in video game offenses like we'll be running traditionally don't get the plaudits they deserve because scouts say it's the system more than the player. I think we'll do well recruiting quarterbacks moving forwards though.

Tommy DeVito went from holding a clipboard to 3 stars in 1 season.

if Bosco and him, continue to be Bosco and him...he will be 4 or 5 stars by December.
He is a be ry good QB but...that's a stretch and a lot of wishful thinking.

He is a be ry good QB but...that's a stretch and a lot of wishful thinking.
So playing at Bosco and already being a 3 star, but you say he can't make it to a 4 star.

Thanks John Gruden, Mel Kiper has a the memo...

So playing at Bosco and already being a 3 star, but you say he can't make it to a 4 star.

Thanks John Gruden, Mel Kiper has a the memo...
4 * is possible but he is a solid 3. But jump from a 3* to a 5*? There's your stretch. Schools like Bama and OSU see kids get bumped from 3-4. Schools like RU and SU don't. Unfortunate but probably true.

4 * is possible but he is a solid 3. But jump from a 3* to a 5*? There's your stretch. Schools like Bama and OSU see kids get bumped from 3-4. Schools like RU and SU don't. Unfortunate but probably true.
Just that or his less than optimum height automatically make 5* status unattainable. But I would think he has a outside shot, pretty far outside, to sneak in as a 4*. But I like him a whole bunch regardless of where he sits in the scouting rankings.

In regards to the college coaches high school kids know, I remember Matt Alkire (sp?) talking about that. Matt was a recruiting guru assigned to us when we were on a different site and he spent a ton of time talking to recruits. He basically said the majority of high school recruits don't know very much at all about college football. They predominantly follow pro teams.

Just that or his less than optimum height automatically make 5* status unattainable. But I would think he has a outside shot, pretty far outside, to sneak in as a 4*. But I like him a whole bunch regardless of where he sits in the scouting rankings.
both probably fair points, 5 is likely too much and even if the stats are there...the height would factor in as you say.

but lets say Bosco once again plays the most difficult schedule in the country and he has marginal improvement to 2k yards and 20 td, while keeping the low ints, that should move the rank and if not, who gives a flying F??

he would still be the best QB recruit weve been in on since Vick.

and hopefully...the best landed since McNabb.

both probably fair points, 5 is likely too much and even if the stats are there...the height would factor in as you say.

but lets say Bosco once again plays the most difficult schedule in the country and he has marginal improvement to 2k yards and 20 td, while keeping the low ints, that should move the rank and if not, who gives a flying F??

he would still be the best QB recruit weve been in on since Vick.

and hopefully...the best landed since McNabb.

Or at least Lindsey Scott ;)

HS players may not know who Dino is, but you can be sure HS coaches do. Candidly, Dino is the first experienced head coach we have hired in a couple of blue moons. For the first time there will be no OJT. This staff knows exactly what they need to do.

We finally opened the checkbook and I think it will bring results sooner than later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom