Question regarding the PSU fake FG. | Syracusefan.com

Question regarding the PSU fake FG.

SmilinBob

Living Legend
Re-watching the game I saw that Reddish took a circle route to the kicker thus allowing the holder to go to the right and get the first down. My question is why did he circle instead of not going directly to the kicker to try to block the kick since there was no one in the way?

Re-watching the game I saw that Reddish took a circle route to the kicker thus allowing the holder to go to the right and get the first down. My question is why did he circle instead of not going directly to the kicker to try to block the kick since there was no one in the way?
Probably that was his assignment, not a full out punt block.

Probably that was his assignment, not a full out punt block.

I thought it was a fg attempt or am I misremembering? I kind of thought it was possibly an assignment but that's kind of what got me thinking...it's a direct route to the kicker, why not take it to block it?

I thought it was a fg attempt or am I misremembering? I kind of thought it was possibly an assignment but that's kind of what got me thinking...it's a direct route to the kicker, why not take it to block it?
Whoops sorry field goal block

Whoops sorry field goal block

You know what's funny is that I originally had punt down in the title and then remembered the holder had to get his knee off the ground.

I'm just puzzled on this a little plus we also know that NW loves to do fakes regarding their special teams.

Havent rewatched the game on TV but similar to a screen pass you read the blockers. If there is no opposition trying to block you, you probably shouldn't run to that area because that's where they want you to go. Curious who was there to cover a pass if Reddish broke straight for the kicker and they threw over the top?

You know what's funny is that I originally had punt down in the title and then remembered the holder had to get his knee off the ground.

I'm just puzzled on this a little plus we also know that NW loves to do fakes regarding their special teams.

I still don't understand the reasoning that the holder, with his knee on the ground, isn't down when he catches the ball and decides to run similar to any other offensive player. Holder should have to get his knee off the ground prior to receiving the ball if the intent is to fake the kick IMHO. Even when I played in HS I never quite understood that.

Havent rewatched the game on TV but similar to a screen pass you read the blockers. If there is no opposition trying to block you, you probably shouldn't run to that area because that's where they want you to go. Curious who was there to cover a pass if Reddish broke straight for the kicker and they threw over the top?

I was wondering about that...if the end would brake to Reddish's vacated spot. That said I assumed that Reddish would be trying to block the kick as he would be busting hump to get his hands on the ball. I don't know, these are the little things that bug me because if it were a break down by PSU, going directly to the kicker is what you want unless they are being taught to angle away so they don't hit the kicker.

I still don't understand the reasoning that the holder, with his knee on the ground, isn't down when he catches the ball and decides to run similar to any other offensive player. Holder should have to get his knee off the ground prior to receiving the ball if the intent is to fake the kick IMHO. Even when I played in HS I never quite understood that.

It was off the ground, he just got it up before receiving the ball.

Appreciate it a I haven't brought myself to rewatch the game. The saving grace for me has been rewatching the following days Liverpool v Man United game multiple times this week.

Yup, his knee was off the ground before he received the snap.

As for the angle to the kicker, players are taught to lay out perpendicular to the kicker on a block - not run straight at him. Same thing for a punt block attempt, at least when rushing from the corner/end.

Yup, his knee was off the ground before he received the snap.

As for the angle to the kicker, players are taught to lay out perpendicular to the kicker on a block - not run straight at him. Same thing for a punt block attempt, at least when rushing from the corner/end.

That sounds right to me but sometimes you get a gift with no one in front and that always makes me wonder if that indirect route isn't the way to go depending on the circumstance. I still think he could have taken a better angle and that's the fun part of playing couch qb I suppose!

All I know is Tomcat and I both called fake. SU should've known the kid was very iffy at that range and play the fake. This one was on the coaching staff...but Marrone usually got burnt on fakes too.

The coach needs to be ready for trick stuff following a timeout and warn the players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom