Question. What/Why did Kaleb deserve to lose starting spot ? | Syracusefan.com

Question. What/Why did Kaleb deserve to lose starting spot ?

CuseHulk

Starter
Given the circumstances.

The Staff obviously never expected for Ennis to be one n done. Kaleb was forced into the starting lineup when he originally was supposed to be backing up Ennis for least a year.

He wasn't ready last year, but showed some flashes. And the staff loved him coming in.

Given the circumstances.

The Staff obviously never expected for Ennis to be one n done. Kaleb was forced into the starting lineup when he originally was supposed to be backing up Ennis for least a year.

He wasn't ready last year, but showed some flashes. And the staff loved him coming in.
And this year they are going to love him as a backup. JAB is going to put the five guys out there that he thinks is going to help the team win. If KJ is one of them then he will get significant minutes and finish the games. Doesn't mean he has to be a starter. I'm not sure anyone knows for certain right now how the season is going to play out. Way too many questions. KJ will get a shot in game to prove his worth.

Kaleb was not ready for primetime last year and Gbinije is a seasoned, senior leader who is stronger, more confident, and a better player right now. Kaleb will play decent minutes if he plays D the way JB wants and he makes smart decisions. This is the best thing for Kaleb. He gets to learn and build confidence without all the pressure to lead and produce right away...which was the plan when he was supposed to back up Ennis.

Edit: I think Kaleb will actually thrive in this role. By the end of the season our backcourt depth will be a huge asset. Good luck pressing us.

Last edited:
I think the pressure really got to him, and he was just lost last year. You could see it in his eyes (and in his numbers). He wasn't good. He was part of our overall problem. I was worried about his ego losing the starting job, but when I saw him last night, he "seemed" okay with it. Hopefully, he will thrive and come into his own coming off the bench. I can't see him being a spectacular player (although who knows? certainly not moi) but I think he can be solid for us.

Boeheim starts with the 5 best players on the team. Silent G > Joseph.

Last edited:
Kinda funny. Clifton, PeteCalvin and I posted simultaneously.

Edit: And we all said the same thing. You can't imagine how relieved I was, because my bball acumen is not strong.

Last edited:
Not that he lost he its more he never earned it.

Kaleb shot worse then any guard of the last 15 years when you combined his 2 and 3 point percentage.
16 pounds of muscle faster and moving from a low highschool level over the summer to a high jr national team playing against pros will make a huge difference for him.

at one point chino was inbounding and hes screaming lets Go Chino Lets go Lets go lets go.

Last edited:
Agree with all of this. It's not just the shooting but how many times did he botch a fast break or fall down/trip himself up? JB isn't stupid. Limiting his minutes and responsibilities was and probably is now better for the team.

I think it is pretty clear that he is incapable of being a true PG, facilitator, etc. A sparkplug of the bench probably best suits his game and skillset. It would be great to see him embrace and excel at that role. I think he can.

He's got the Scoop role on the 09 team. Come in play high energy and aggressive. In this role he won't need to worry as much about his decision making process. Let him be decisive and aggressive. When he hits the bench he will have made some positive plays to build his confidence and the coaches will also be able to tweak his decision making without him having to be down on himself.

I liked what I saw from him off the bench Monday. It looked like a role he is much more suited for than last years role but again its still a work in progress.

A similar situation would be Allen Griffin. He started early in his career, but then was moved to the bench due to roster circumstances. And then as a senior, he emerged into an excellent point guard in total control of the offense. I could absolutely see Joseph following that pattern.

Last edited:
Not a fan at all of KJ starting at the 1 or 2 spot, especially considering we seem to be loaded at the guard spots this year and next but I am a huge fan of KJ in the sixth man role.

Ideal sixth men are up-tempo combo guards. If the improvements made to his game that many people mention are true, he could be an X-Factor in this role.

Agree with all of this. It's not just the shooting but how many times did he botch a fast break or fall down/trip himself up? JB isn't stupid. Limiting his minutes and responsibilities was and probably is now better for the team.

I think it is pretty clear that he is incapable of being a true PG, facilitator, etc. A sparkplug of the bench probably best suits his game and skillset. It would be great to see him embrace and excel at that role. I think he can.

I don't think he's "incapable" of being a true PG--at all.

I don't think he's "incapable" of being a true PG--at all.

I wish I shared your opinion and optimism. Blind faith isn't going to cut it for me. Like Omar said above; it is possible that he could become an Allen Griffin type by his senior year. Something must be going on in practice however to indicate that JB just doesn't trust him enough to have him have the ball more than our SF. It looks like FH even has a good chance to play more of a PG role. Obviously he is good kid and a hard worker. The sparkplug role will probably suit him well and I'm cheering for him. Obviously he's a controversial topic. We all have our opinions and nobody is right or wrong. I'm done with the KJ discussions for now.

I wish I shared your opinion and optimism. Blind faith isn't going to cut it for me. Like Omar said above; it is possible that he could become an Allen Griffin type by his senior year. Something must be going on in practice however to indicate that JB just doesn't trust him enough to have him have the ball more than our SF. It looks like FH even has a good chance to play more of a PG role. Obviously he is good kid and a hard worker. The sparkplug role will probably suit him well and I'm cheering for him. Obviously he's a controversial topic. We all have our opinions and nobody is right or wrong. I'm done with the KJ discussions for now.

SoBe, that is bunk. JB has been quite effusive with his praise of Kaleb this preseason, indicating that he's shown tremendous improvement over the course of the offseason {I think [paraphrasing] that the way he said it was that Kaleb improved more than anybody on the team this offseason}.

That has nothing to do with optimism or blind faith.

Because Richardson is a better SF than Joseph is a PG.
This. Joseph losing his starting spot has less to do with his abilities than it does with the abilities of his teammates. JB will put his best 5 on the floor, and right now that includes Richardson, in his view.

This. Joseph losing his starting spot has less to do with his abilities than it does with the abilities of his teammates. JB will put his best 5 on the floor, and right now that includes Richardson, in his view.
i.e. - both Mal and G have to be out there together

SoBe, that is bunk. JB has been quite effusive with his praise of Kaleb this preseason, indicating that he's shown tremendous improvement over the course of the offseason {I think [paraphrasing] that the way he said it was that Kaleb improved more than anybody on the team this offseason}.

That has nothing to do with optimism or blind faith.

Ouch, lol.

I will say that JB hasn't always put his best 5 in the starting lineup. Two examples are Rak and Coleman when they were freshmen. Their starts were strictly ceremonial and then JB had the quick hook.

Given the circumstances.

I'm just curious. Are you implying that he should not have lost his starting spot?

Because that is what your post appears to be doing.

Malachai wasnt on the team last year.

silent G may not have started many any games at PG - but he was the finisher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom