Questions for Clemson Fans About Stoudt | Syracusefan.com

Questions for Clemson Fans About Stoudt

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
First, I am pretty sure we were the first school to offer Stoudt, who played at the same HS as a WR we recruited, Trey Fairchild. So there is that piece of trivia to enjoy.

Thought I read somewhere that Stoudt had his shoulder dislocated early in the season. Did he begin the season as the starter but get demoted in favor of Whizbang Watson? Was it because he played poorly or because he got hurt?

Is it true he was given a cortisone injection to allow him to play again? Is it true he really can't throw the ball anymore? With Kelly at the Betty Ford Clinic, who should we expect to come in to replace Stoudt when his arm falls off?

First, I am pretty sure we were the first school to offer Stoudt, who played at the same HS as a WR we recruited, Trey Fairchild. So there is that piece of trivia to enjoy.

Thought I read somewhere that Stoudt had his shoulder dislocated early in the season. Did he begin the season as the starter but get demoted in favor of Whizbang Watson? Was it because he played poorly or because he got hurt?

Is it true he was given a cortisone injection to allow him to play again? Is it true he really can't throw the ball anymore? With Kelly at the Betty Ford Clinic, who should we expect to come in to replace Stoudt when his arm falls off?

Tom
They have had a few articles in the newspaper down here about his shoulder. Here you go, from October 12, 2014:

See, Stoudt had suffered a Grade II shoulder separation the previous week in one of his only two drives during Clemson's 41-0 whitewashing of N.C. State Oct. 4, a performance earning Watson his second straight ACC Player of the Week award and further reducing Stoudt's role. Stoudt was seen outside the locker room after that game with his non-throwing arm in a sling.

Because he was the primary backup, Stoudt took a painkilling shot before kickoff vs. Louisville. Even so, it hurt every time he was hit - and he sustained plenty of those from the Cardinals' top-rated defense.

Having sustained a similar (yet less severe) shoulder separation his freshman year, Stoudt was firm on what it would have taken to remove him from the game Saturday.

"Me not being able to get up," Stoudt said. "The only way they were going to get me off the field is they were going to drag me off."

(1) He has a serious shoulder injury in his non-throwing shoulder. He seems to throw it okay, but he was never that great at throwing the ball in the first place. He does need shots before games and evidently at halftime, too. He's a tough SOB.

(2) He was demoted because Watson is so good. He didn't do anything particularly bad to lose his starting job. That said, he's a below average talent. A true "game manager" type. But he's all we've got right now.

Stoudt is a game manager (at best). The coaches trust him because of his grasp on the playbook. However, injuries have killed our line (starting center out for the year, just now getting a starting tackle back this week, have only utilized 6 linemen max the last couple of weeks), and, coupled with our RB depth (1st and 2nd string RBs lost for the year), the offense has to rely on passing to set up the run.

Even in the passing game, we have lost our number 1 WR (Peake) and now our number 1 TE (Legett). Stoudt is not as productive as Watson (not even close) but he also has played hurt against top 10 defenses the last 2 weeks.

I worry about any away game we play right now, and am very happy we left Boston with a W. I feel better regarding the Syracuse game, mainly because it is in Death Valley.

Most Clemson fans are just hoping we can hang on til Watson gets back. Hopefully he is back in time for the GT game.

I think the biggest part of the offense that is missing with Stout is a run threat. Boyd was our fullback in short yardage and Watson is a pretty strong runner as well. Stout can make the reads and the throws, but he just isn't very mobile is a nice way to say it. Against BC he should have scored on the zone read the last play of the first half, but he tripped on his own feet and landed on the 6 yard line.

From what I've seen from Clemson so far, agree that Stoudt is a game manager. Watson is a game changer. I'm not sad that he can't play this weekend.

(1) He has a serious shoulder injury in his non-throwing shoulder. He seems to throw it okay, but he was never that great at throwing the ball in the first place. He does need shots before games and evidently at halftime, too. He's a tough SOB.

(2) He was demoted because Watson is so good. He didn't do anything particularly bad to lose his starting job. That said, he's a below average talent. A true "game manager" type. But he's all we've got right now.

Sounds pretty hardnosed!

Stoudt is a game manager (at best). The coaches trust him because of his grasp on the playbook. However, injuries have killed our line (starting center out for the year, just now getting a starting tackle back this week, have only utilized 6 linemen max the last couple of weeks), and, coupled with our RB depth (1st and 2nd string RBs lost for the year), the offense has to rely on passing to set up the run.

Even in the passing game, we have lost our number 1 WR (Peake) and now our number 1 TE (Legett). Stoudt is not as productive as Watson (not even close) but he also has played hurt against top 10 defenses the last 2 weeks.

I worry about any away game we play right now, and am very happy we left Boston with a W. I feel better regarding the Syracuse game, mainly because it is in Death Valley.

Most Clemson fans are just hoping we can hang on til Watson gets back. Hopefully he is back in time for the GT game.

That sounds similar to an Orange injury report.

And if Stoudt goes down y'all may be looking at this young man. Be kind he has a family on the Board.

Clemson_Tigers‏@Clemson_Tigers Oct 17
Meet Nick Schuessler: Clemson quarterback Nick Schuessler is just one snap away from taking over the reins of... http://gotige.rs/1vmpIPx

And if Stoudt goes down y'all may be looking at this young man. Be kind he has a family on the Board.

Clemson_Tigers‏@Clemson_Tigers Oct 17
Meet Nick Schuessler: Clemson quarterback Nick Schuessler is just one snap away from taking over the reins of... http://gotige.rs/1vmpIPx

Quite honestly, there's a number of Clemson fans who think Nick would be better than Cole. Nick has looked pretty good in the trash times that he has played.

Stoudt is a great young man, but Watson is a rare talent. Big drop off between Watson and Stoudt in God given talent. Watson however is smaller than Tajh Boyd and I am afraid he won't be nearly as durable as Boyd over the course of his career.

Truthfully, if Watson were playing I would expect Clemson would win by 30 points. With Watson hurt, I will be thankful for a 1 point win.

We have 2 QB's behind Stoudt, neither with any experience. We are in deep do do if Stoudt goes down. See this link on our injuries this year. Crazy bad year for injuries

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Can-Clemson-offense-withstand-injuries-13170

Stoudt is a great young man, but Watson is a rare talent. Big drop off between Watson and Stoudt in God given talent. Watson however is smaller than Tajh Boyd and I am afraid he won't be nearly as durable as Boyd over the course of his career.

Truthfully, if Watson were playing I would expect Clemson would win by 30 points. With Watson hurt, I will be thankful for a 1 point win.

We have 2 QB's behind Stoudt, neither with any experience. We are in deep do do if Stoudt goes down. See this link on our injuries this year. Crazy bad year for injuries

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Can-Clemson-offense-withstand-injuries-13170
Thanks for the info. Hate to see anyone go down with an injury, especially in college, when you only have 4 seasons to play and each game is so precious. A really fortunate player might play in 52-54 games in their career.

If there is anyone in the ACC that can relate to what Clemson is going through this season, it is Syracuse. Been a real tough year for the Orange on the injury front too. In fact, I think we have had more key players hurt than even your team has.

I hope the game is a good one and no one gets seriously hurt on either team on Saturday.

good trivia. but i hate that we lose out on kids who would rather go be 2nd or 3rd string at a 'bigger' football school, than come here and be the #1.

why we cant land just 1 of the big PA or NJ, QBs...just drives me nuts.

good trivia. but i hate that we lose out on kids who would rather go be 2nd or 3rd string at a 'bigger' football school, than come here and be the #1.

I share your frustration and agree with you, that is, everything but referring to Clemson as a bigger football school.

We're the exact same way in basketball. I know we don't have history but I can't for the life of me figure it out either.

Last edited:
From what I've seen from Clemson so far, agree that Stoudt is a game manager. Watson is a game changer. I'm not sad that he can't play this weekend.
Agreed. I hope the kid gets healthy soon, but I'm glad he's not going to be healthy on Saturday. Gives us a fighting chance, hopefully.

Stoudt is no future NFL'er for sure, plus he's banged up to boot.

He's a solid college QB, one capable of leading a top 20 type team and winning games you're "supposed to".

I'd also add, particularly before the injury, not sure he wouldn't start for many other ACC schools as well.

Quite honestly, there's a number of Clemson fans who think Nick would be better than Cole. Nick has looked pretty good in the trash times that he has played.
There are always a ton of fans who think the next guy on the depth chart would be better. I doubt it.

I'd also be interested in the Clemson fans perspective on their Chad Kelly experience.

I'd also be interested in the Clemson fans perspective on their Chad Kelly experience.
Sucked as a person and player. Would've transferred anyway even if he hadn't gotten himself kicked off the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom