Quick recap of a wonderful weekend | Syracusefan.com

Quick recap of a wonderful weekend

Eric15

Living Legend
We landed in New Orleans on Friday afternoon. Checked into the Best Western St. Christopher Hotel and headed over to Huck Finn’s Café for lunch. I enjoyed a delicious Fried Oyster Po Boy with a flight of local beers, including the incredible Southern Pecan Brown Ale. My wife went with Cajun Bloody Marys. Then just meandered around the French Quarter hopping into lots of random bars and enjoying some local music. At one point I drank some “Voodoo Juice” which I’m guessing has about 100g of sugar and the rest is straight booze. They’re completely redoing the sewage system on Bourbon Street, so it’s a huge construction site right now. Still glorious though. Had dinner at Brennan’s, which was the real deal. Turtle soup for an appetizer and a roasted duck breast with glazed peaches for an entrée, and bananas foster for dessert. Then more bar-hopping. The French Quarter truly has something of everyone, whether you’re a 22 year old looking for loud debauchery or a 60 year old looking for something mellow.

Had breakfast at Ruby Slipper Café on Saturday morning, enjoyed corned beef eggs benedict. Lots of Cuse fans there. Drove to Baton Rouge afterwards. I-10 from NOLA to BR is a great drive – I’m so used to being in gridlock in DC all the time that driving in a straight line for 80 miles with no traffic was delightful.

Spent about 3 hours at Chimes, which is their version of Chucks it seems. Lively with all the Noon games on. Enjoyed their famous Crawfish Etoufee and more Mich Ultras than I could count (I wanted to go easy on the stomach, please don’t judge me.)

Then we just explored the LSU campus hopping around a couple tailgates and taking in the atmosphere. It is nothing short of incredible – you can just feel the passion and energy in the air. The marching band does their parade through campus which draws a big crowd.

Ran into CuseTroop, his lady and Boeheims sister Christine outside the stadium. All wonderful people. I regret asking her if she was Jim’s younger or older sister. I intended it to just make polite conversation, but then realized that’s not exactly a compliment for a woman who clearly doesn’t look older than 72. Sorry! I was scatterbrained from the humidity and alcohol.

The college football fan experience is just so much more positive and collegial than the NFL. We sat surrounded by LSU fans, and they couldn’t possibly have been nicer. And I never for a second had to worry about being harassed like being at a Bills or Eagles game, etc. Numerous people walked up to me on the walk out of the stadium to congratulate us for a game well played.

It was a very bizarre dynamic inside the stadium as the game progressed. The stadium was about 90% full in the second quarter. But after halftime, more and more LSU fans started leaving. When we made it 28-26, I would say it was 50% capacity tops. The SU section was fantastic, and there was an extremely boisterous LGO chant late in the 4th quarter.

To my friends here who don’t think we should schedule a non-conference game like LSU every single year, I respectfully disagree. We absolutely held our own and probably should have won. We ready for games like this right now, not 5-10 years from now.

Last edited:
Was Pat O'Briens still there?

We landed in New Orleans on Friday afternoon. Checked into the Best Western St. Christopher Hotel and headed over to Huck Finn’s Café for lunch. I enjoyed a delicious Fried Oyster Po Boy with a flight of local beers, including the incredible Southern Pecan Brown Ale. My wife went with Cajun Bloody Marys. Then just meandered around the French Quarter hopping into lots of random bars and enjoying some local music. At one point I drank some “Voodoo Juice” which I’m guessing has about 100g of sugar and the rest is straight booze. They’re completely redoing the sewage system on Bourbon Street, so it’s a huge construction site right now. Still glorious though. Had dinner at Brennan’s, which was the real deal. Turtle soup for an appetizer and a roasted duck breast with glazed peaches for an entrée, and bananas foster for dessert. Then more bar-hopping. The French Quarter truly has something of everyone, whether you’re a 22 year old looking for loud debauchery or a 60 year old looking for something mellow.

Had breakfast at Ruby Slipper Café on Saturday morning, enjoyed corned beef eggs benedict. Lots of Cuse fans there. Drove to Baton Rouge afterwards. I-10 from NOLA to BR is a great drive – I’m so used to being in gridlock in DC all the time that driving in a straight line for 80 miles with no traffic was delightful.

Spent about 3 hours at Chimes, which is their version of Chucks it seems. Lively with all the Noon games on. Enjoyed their famous Crawfish Etoufee and more Mich Ultras than I could count (I wanted to go easy on the stomach, please don’t judge me.)

Then we just explored the LSU campus hopping around a couple tailgates and taking in the atmosphere. It is nothing short of incredible – you can just feel the passion and energy in the air. The marching band does their parade through campus which draws a big crowd.

Ran into CuseTroop, his lady and Barbara Boeheim outside the stadium. All wonderful people. I regret asking Barbara if she was Jim’s younger or older sister. I intended it to just make polite conversation, but then realized that’s not exactly a compliment for a woman who clearly doesn’t look older than 72. Sorry, Barbara! I was scatterbrained from the humidity and alcohol.

The college football fan experience is just so much more positive and collegial than the NFL. We sat surrounded by LSU fans, and they couldn’t possibly have been nicer. And I never for a second had to worry about being harassed like being at a Bills or Eagles game, etc. Numerous people walked up to me on the walk out of the stadium to congratulate us for a game well played.

It was a very bizarre dynamic inside the stadium as the game progressed. The stadium was about 90% full in the second quarter. But after halftime, more and more LSU fans started leaving. When we made it 28-26, I would say it was 50% capacity tops. The SU section was fantastic, and there was an extremely boisterous LGO chant late in the 4th quarter.

To my friends here who don’t think we should schedule a non-conference game like LSU every single year, I respectfully disagree. We absolutely held our own and probably should have won. We ready for games like this right now, not 5-10 years from now.
THANK YOU! I hope we can get more of these reports from other attendees. They are so much fun to read!

Huge faux pas with Barbara Boeheim. Nah, I kid the Eric. I kid!

It was there last time I was, couple years ago I guess. I think their Hurricanes should be on the illegal substance list.

I've been to NO a few times but not since 2003 and of course the hurricane. It was my go to place each trip.

Great recap! Did you have a proper Sazerac? How was the stadium itself and general atmosphere outside of attendance throughout? I love hearing about various stadiums/experiences inside.

Great recap! Did you have a proper Sazerac? How was the stadium itself and general atmosphere outside of attendance throughout? I love hearing about various stadiums/experiences inside.

I did not try that drink -- I should have though. Tiger Stadium has some new expanded seating in the upper deck end zone, but the overall stadium definitely feels old. I like that though. I enjoy stadiums that have a soul.

I didn't see him at all while I was there. (Not sure about the bar)

IMG_3291.JPG

I did not try that drink -- I should have though. Tiger Stadium has some new expanded seating in the upper deck end zone, but the overall stadium definitely feels old. I like that though. I enjoy stadiums that have a soul.

Cool, man. Thanks. Yeah, I nerd out with the cocktails. It supposedly was invented there in a bar that still exists. It's a strong and awesome cocktail. Great bang for your buck, too. Stirred not shaken. Absinthe rinse. RYE whiskey, cognac, Peychaud's bitters, lemon peel.

Absolutely still there. When we were here for the Tulane game Mrs. C and I decided we needed a complete set of Pat O'Brien's glassware. Each drink comes in a different souvenir glass. We had a pretty good collection going and I think we left the bar at some point - we woke up in our hotel room - no idea where the glasses ended up!

Just want to echo the sentiment and spirit of Eric15's report. Wonderful time and in my case it was a few days longrer as I arrived Tuesday to combine a birthday celebration.

Yes, Pat O'Brien's is still there, and a go-cup Hurricane was my first drink. After that stayed mostly out of the French Quarter except for Friday night at The Swamp, which underwhelmed for the money.

Some highlights:

Music: Maple Leaf Bar (Rebirth Brass Band), DBA (Walter "Wolfman" Washington), Vaughan's Bar (Treme Brass Band), Tipitina's (The Magnificent 7), On the streets of New Orleans (Sunday Second-Line parade)

Restaurants: Brigtsen's, Commander's Palace, Peche, Herbsaint, August, Cochon, Bacchanal, Atchafalaya.

People: finally got to meet CuseTroop and his lady at his swank rooftop pool - well, it was a bar, but there was a pool there.

Also great thanks to Lemoyne Cuse (Jeff) and JDemo (Joe) for their tremendous efforts in organizing the bus and tailgate, respectively.

Our own Orange fans asbsolutely rocked it in supporting that team. - leather-lunged stalwarts who sounded even louder as the LSU fans skulked out.

While most of our fans also were classy in the courtesy department, we have a disappointing few who could learn a few things from the manners of the LSU folks. Hopefully they will.

All in all, a highly positive and energizing trip, and I'm so glad SU scheduled this game.

Great recap! I'll share mine:

My fiancee and I arrived Thursday night and stayed at an Airbnb in the Carrollton neighborhood. Great spacious spot; we had our own pool a block from a streetcar spot and close to Audobon Park. I was going to propose in NOLA but ended up doing it a few days before the trip. Although she's a USC (Trojan) alum, she's come along for a number of games, our first being the Georgia Tech game in 2013. We somehow managed to have a good trip that included that 56-0 loss in the rain so needless to say we have a great time attending these events and meeting so many other fans, many from this board.

We had brunch on Friday at a place called DTB (Down The Bayou) in the Carrollton neighborhood. Had an Oyster Croque Madame and this was definitely the best meal we had in town. We took the street car down St Charles; made it over to the French Quarter and went to Cafe Du Monde for beignets. No wait and was worth the visit. We followed that with a visit to the Voodoo Museum; not really an essential visit. They allow you to make 1 wish that you write down while in the candlelit back room. The curator/host said not to wish for a Syracuse win so I did not do it. Didn't want to subject myself or the team to any bad juju. We checked out a cocktail bar called Cane + Table also in the french quarter. No signs or anything so you wouldn't know it's there. I wouldn't call it a speakeasy though cause that's kind of a silly gimmick that I don't think applied to this place. I definitely recommend this spot if you're in the area and want to avoid some of the madness. For dinner we went to Luke, a french restaurant from celebrity chef John Besh. Although they had a few seafood/New Orleans dishes, it was not worth it. Pretty disappointing.

We went over to the Swamp for the Syracuse thing. It was OK but kind of a dumpy place. And not in a cool "divey" way. Guess I should have expected that with the name "The Swamp." That said, I'm glad Syracuse put it together, it's always a good idea to bring all the fans together when you can. I expect as the football team improves, events like this will be filled with some intense positive energy in anticipation of the game. Right now, the fanbase is just not quite there.

Before the game we made a trip over to Willa Jean for brunch. This was a hyped restaurant that was good but not amazing. Probably a bit too heavy of a place to visit before a day trip and tailgating. We had a bbq shrimp toast and huevos rancheros. While Beyonce and other celebs have praised this restaurant, I was not blown away. We visited the house where American Horror Story Coven took place before making the trip to Baton Rouge.

LSU was awesome, we attended the tailgate organized by JDemo and wandered around a bit. I'll reiterate what Eric said, the fans were great and you really appreciate them after dealing with jerks at NFL games. I mentioned in the other thread but being surrounded by my Bama family for football every saturday (uncle and both aunts are alums, cousin is a freshman) they have worse things to say about LSU fans than Auburn or really any team period. I'll be sure to tell them next weekend how nice everyone was.

We went to the distillery Lula for brunch this morning (they make rum, vodka and gin) which was good. Had some seafood dishes and a couple cocktails before going up to Slidell for a Cajun Encounters swamp tour. This was surprisingly fun, saw some wild pigs, raccoons, gators and ibis. The boat had a roof and had a number of gators swim right up. You go out down into some narrow channels and into a number of small cyprus swampy areas. I'd recommend it. We ended the day going to Dimartinos for muffulettas. They also had these little candy covered fig cookies which I thought sucked. We probably should have done central grocery but we were stressing about getting to the airport. Anyways, great trip despite the result. We will be making the trip down to Miami next month; I do not anticipate doing as many cool things but am looking forward to the game!

I'll reiterate what Eric said, the fans were great and you really appreciate them after dealing with jerks at NFL games.

Maybe this makes me lame, but I kind of like no beer served at games. Drink as much as you want beforehand, but I feel like it makes for a better overall in-game experience for everyone when people aren't getting more and more inebriated as the game progresses. And people aren't driving home sh-tfaced.

Maybe this makes me lame, but I kind of like no beer served at games. Drink as much as you want beforehand, but I feel like it makes for a better overall in-game experience for everyone when people aren't getting more and more inebriated as the game progresses. And people aren't driving home sh-tfaced.
I can understand that. Obviously the Bills are an extreme example but the more games I attend, the more I realize how truly awful the fans there are. I say this as a Bills fan.

Great recap! I'll share mine:

My fiancee and I arrived Thursday night and stayed at an Airbnb in the Carrollton neighborhood. Great spacious spot; we had our own pool a block from a streetcar spot and close to Audobon Park. I was going to propose in NOLA but ended up doing it a few days before the trip. Although she's a USC (Trojan) alum, she's come along for a number of games, our first being the Georgia Tech game in 2013. We somehow managed to have a good trip that included that 56-0 loss in the rain so needless to say we have a great time attending these events and meeting so many other fans, many from this board.

We had brunch on Friday at a place called DTB (Down The Bayou) in the Carrollton neighborhood. Had an Oyster Croque Madame and this was definitely the best meal we had in town. We took the street car down St Charles; made it over to the French Quarter and went to Cafe Du Monde for beignets. No wait and was worth the visit. We followed that with a visit to the Voodoo Museum; not really an essential visit. They allow you to make 1 wish that you write down while in the candlelit back room. The curator/host said not to wish for a Syracuse win so I did not do it. Didn't want to subject myself or the team to any bad juju. We checked out a cocktail bar called Cane + Table also in the french quarter. No signs or anything so you wouldn't know it's there. I wouldn't call it a speakeasy though cause that's kind of a silly gimmick that I don't think applied to this place. I definitely recommend this spot if you're in the area and want to avoid some of the madness. For dinner we went to Luke, a french restaurant from celebrity chef John Besh. Although they had a few seafood/New Orleans dishes, it was not worth it. Pretty disappointing.

We went over to the Swamp for the Syracuse thing. It was OK but kind of a dumpy place. And not in a cool "divey" way. Guess I should have expected that with the name "The Swamp." That said, I'm glad Syracuse put it together, it's always a good idea to bring all the fans together when you can. I expect as the football team improves, events like this will be filled with some intense positive energy in anticipation of the game. Right now, the fanbase is just not quite there.

Before the game we made a trip over to Willa Jean for brunch. This was a hyped restaurant that was good but not amazing. Probably a bit too heavy of a place to visit before a day trip and tailgating. We had a bbq shrimp toast and huevos rancheros. While Beyonce and other celebs have praised this restaurant, I was not blown away. We visited the house where American Horror Story Coven took place before making the trip to Baton Rouge.

LSU was awesome, we attended the tailgate organized by JDemo and wandered around a bit. I'll reiterate what Eric said, the fans were great and you really appreciate them after dealing with jerks at NFL games. I mentioned in the other thread but being surrounded by my Bama family for football every saturday (uncle and both aunts are alums, cousin is a freshman) they have worse things to say about LSU fans than Auburn or really any team period. I'll be sure to tell them next weekend how nice everyone was.

We went to the distillery Lula for brunch this morning (they make rum, vodka and gin) which was good. Had some seafood dishes and a couple cocktails before going up to Slidell for a Cajun Encounters swamp tour. This was surprisingly fun, saw some wild pigs, raccoons, gators and ibis. The boat had a roof and had a number of gators swim right up. You go out down into some narrow channels and into a number of small cyprus swampy areas. I'd recommend it. We ended the day going to Dimartinos for muffulettas. They also had these little candy covered fig cookies which I thought sucked. We probably should have done central grocery but we were stressing about getting to the airport. Anyways, great trip despite the result. We will be making the trip down to Miami next month; I do not anticipate doing as many cool things but am looking forward to the game!
CONGRATS ON THE ENGAGEMENT PART!!! Another SU/USC fan!!! (My son went to USC...note ...they win in football a lot)

Yes, congrats. I second llandz in welcoming another SU/USC fan like myself. Did grad school at SC.

Great report! So it sounds like the food was a bit of a disappointment? I noted that the Oyster Croque Madame (sounds awesome, btw) you ordered at DTB was really good. I plan on going to New Orleans sometime this year. I've never been. The one major US city I really don't know. My GF and I really get into the food scene. Michelin starred spots, celebrity chefs, etc. Too bad about the Besh establishment.

BTW, I was in Nashville last week and my brother teaches at Vandy. Lives in Green Hills. Had some Prince's (did Hattie B's another visit) and it blew my face off with the 'Hot.' Awesome chicken. Much bigger pieces of chicken and cheaper than Hattie B's.

CONGRATS ON THE ENGAGEMENT PART!!! Another SU/USC fan!!! (My son went to USC...note ...they win in football a lot)

Thank you! It's a great school and has an amazing football program. Basketball is getting up there too. They also have had the misfortune of being singled out and unjustly slammed by the NCAA in the same way Syracuse has... it's encouraging to see how well they've bounced back.

Yes, congrats. I second llandz in welcoming another SU/USC fan like myself. Did grad school at SC.

Great report! So it sounds like the food was a bit of a disappointment? I noted that the Oyster Croque Madame (sounds awesome, btw) you ordered at DTB was really good. I plan on going to New Orleans sometime this year. I've never been. The one major US city I really don't know. My GF and I really get into the food scene. Michelin starred spots, celebrity chefs, etc. Too bad about the Besh establishment.

BTW, I was in Nashville last week and my brother teaches at Vandy. Lives in Green Hills. Had some Prince's (did Hattie B's another visit) and it blew my face off with the 'Hot.' Awesome chicken. Much bigger pieces of chicken and cheaper than Hattie B's.

Thank you too! Maybe a bit overly critical, the food was good... I think the fact that the first meal was so great set me up for a bit of a disappointment. There were so many other places we had on the list of restaurants to try...

We live close to Green Hills. Prince's is the real deal, did you go to the original or newer location with TVs and bar? I'm glad they're getting some love as Hattie B's kind of popularized/made the "suburban" version of hot chicken. That said, I like theirs too. Nashville has some good spots to eat but every time we're anywhere close to the ocean we go crazy on the seafood options. New Orleans did not disappoint in that regard.

Last edited:
Thank you! It's a great school and has an amazing football program. Basketball is getting up there too. They also have had the misfortune of being singled out and unjustly slammed by the NCAA in the same way Syracuse has... it's encouraging to see how well they've bounced back.

Thank you too! Maybe a bit overly critical, the food was good... I think the fact that the first meal was so great set me up for a bit of a disappointment. There were so many other places we had on the list of restaurants to try...

We live close to Green Hills. Prince's is the real deal, did you go to the original or newer location with TVs and bar? I'm glad they're getting some love as Hattie B's kind of popularized/made the "suburban" version of hot chicken. That said, I like there's too. Nashville has some good spots to eat but every time we're anywhere close to the ocean we go crazy on the seafood options. New Orleans did not disappoint in that regard.

Yeah, my brother is a little disppointed at how the prices have skyrocketed there (and he has a great job), the congestion, the constant building, etc. Seems like there is another hipster overpriced mod taco place opening up everywhere as well. Bartaco for instance on 12 South. Those tacos sucked! Cool bar, though.

I went up 65N to the original Prince's. Love those divey gems. The chicken was outstanding despite the pain and I am into hot stuff. But, their hot was rough! Hard to fathom what the next two levels up from that are like.

I can confirm that Pat O'Brien's is still standing and had a proper Sazerac at the Roosevelt Hotel. We also had a terrific charcuterie tray here. Hit Central Grocery for the muffaletta, Cafe Du Monde for the beignets, a place named Felix's for oysters, (across from Acme Oyster Bar that had a line of 50 or so people) and had the best oysters of the weekend. Found my favorite New Orleans artist's gallery Matt Rinard and bought a print and discovered another artist Jamie Hayes that I absolutely loved and picked up two prints by him. On our search for food late Friday night the maitre'd at Antoine's, who happens to be from Upstate NY, came up to us while we were walking by and gave us a tour of the restaurant. Said he was a huge SU fan.

Drank too much and didn't eat enough of the great food. I highly recommend having a Hand Grenade shortly before you hit the hay for the night, or shortly before hitting the curb depending on your alcohol intake prior.

Even with the broken ankle I had the greatest time with my brother and the fellas from syracusefan at the tailgate and game. Did not meet Cusetroop, that is probably my only disappointment. This trip was a solid A, would have been an A+ if we pulled off the upset.

RedBeansMicepsd-500x768.jpg

great-dane-xylophone.png

I had an absolute blast. LSU fans could not have been more courteous and welcoming to my group. My fondest memory of the trip will definitely be getting "tiger bait" chanted at us by two toddlers while picking up supplies at Target for tailgating.

Love that they open up their baseball stadium bathrooms to tailgaters, really helped out group out. Met a ton of great LSU fans and a few great SU fans as well. The main group of LSU fans tailgating near offered us Pasta-laya, which was absolutely delicious, after an unfortunate loss in Polish Horseshoes.

Was a bit disappointed in the tailgating atmosphere in our lot but once we started walking around campus I enjoyed the enthusiastic "Tiger Bait" followed by a quick offer of beer and shots. Everyone was extremely friendly and had some great conversations with the locals, many of whom ventured up to SU for the first leg.

The stadium at kickoff was intimidating even though it wasn't a "big" game by their standards. You don't realize how big that stadium is until you're down a few rows from the field looking up and hearing a wall of noise. I think the first play of the game was nerves, but after that we were the better team, IMO.

Students leaving early isn't just an SU thing, as most of the LSU section was gone by halftime. Glad to hear those of us in the SU section could be heard on TV, we were all very into it. The team really deserved that win, but based on how they played and carried themselves I'd be shocked if we didn't make a bowl.

Man, that Middle Tennessee State game hurts even more now. Perfect Storm.

It wasn't just the students leaving, the entire stadium was half empty by the 4th quarter. I'm guessing they never really felt threatened once they went up 2 scores right before the half. Very odd nonetheless for a southern school where football is religion.

Re: the friendly reception - is it possible they only do this for fans of teams that they feel have no chance of beating them? Can't imagine they're chumming it up with nick saban's disciples.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom