Quick thoughts on the Cornell Game | Syracusefan.com

Quick thoughts on the Cornell Game

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Was hoping to due a recap of the ND and Hobart games before this game but didn't have the time. While try and incorporate some general thoughts about those performances while taking a look at Cornell.

Cornell much like Hobart is a hard team to get a read on. They started out the year a horrific 0-5 which included blowout losses to PSU, Hobart, and Albany back to back to back. They then somehow managed to score 18 goals against UVA before blowing multiple late leads and losing 19-8 in OT. After getting demolished at Yale 17-8 in Mid March the last month or so has seen them play a lot better. They blew out Colgate and Dartmouth, and last week beat a decent Harvard team by 3 goals. They did lose by a goal (10-9) to an under .500 Penn team 2 1/2 weeks ago which shows how inconsistent they are. Overall the Cornell team is very young, of there top 6 O starters only one is an upperclassmen, 3 sophs and two true Frosh.

From a Syracuse standpoint the game is going to come down to the areas where we have struggled at times this year, GB's, turnovers, faceoffs and ability to score. Cornell presents some unique challenges as they are ninth in the country in groundballs and 12th in caused turnovers. We all know about Syracuse's struggle with GB's for a large portion of this year and our tendency to throw the ball around. Going to be critical that both areas are on point tonight especially the turnovers as SU has let teams back in games twice this year as a result of turning the ball over left and right.

From a Syracuse offensive standpoint Cornell has a solid defender in Jake Pulver and the other two close defenders have a surprisingly 15 CTO each. That being said were not talking about ND or Richmonds defense here. Cornell's scoring defense is ranked 62nd and is giving up an average of 13.22 goals per game, and this is after limiting Colgate and Dartmouth to under 6 goals and not giving up more then 10 goals over the last four games. Teams with good offenses have shredded Cornell this year, the last higher end offense Cornell faced was Yale who put up 17. I am unclear how Cornell tends to match up with Syracuse defensively. I don't think they have the personnel to double pole the midfield but with Pulver being their top D guy I could see them trying to put him on Mariano. If Cornell does indeed attempt to double pole look for Desko to go Rehfuss and have him start dodging from X. Knight their senior goalie is a good player but he's under 50% for the year and is more in the mold of the Hobart goalie then Doss at ND

Evans is coming off two solid games in a row but was held in check last year against Cornell, if he could string together a multiple point game it would really help open things up. Ditto for Bomberry who broke out last week after struggling to get much going against JHU, Duke, and ND who are all shutting him off of the crease. Solomon has continued to play well and his ability to get a hat trick almost every week has really taken some of the pressure off of Mariano and Salcido. Trimboli had his first multi goal game of his young career last week and is continuing to get better each week. His continued development is enormous not only for this season but beyond. My biggest concern offensively right now is really secondary scoring and the second mid line. We need to put Bomberry in some better scoring situations, kid has a hell of a shot and is more then just a crease finisher. We need to work him off some picks/screens and get him moving off ball a little more. Evans needs to continue to play smart, was hoping for a big scoring game from him against Hobart but though he played well. If he can have more games like he did against Hobart (1,2 I believe) that will force teams to play SU straight up versus double polling the midfield.

The second mid line continues to be beyond frustrating to watch. Simmons seems to score a goal every other game but other then that there not a whole lot going on. Lane is scuffling big time and has had back to back games with a brutal turnover. Carlin just seems to be a body out there at this point. I will say that I thought Lane did an excellent job on the man up unit against Hobart, ran the point and had an assist and a hockey assist. Needs to creep up a bit and prepare to unload that cannon as he's going to get some time and room looks. Cornell's man down D is ranked 30th which is about middle of the pack, good not great. They commit a pretty good amount of penalties as well, will be key for SU to capitalize as we were 0-4 on the man up last year.

Conclusion: This is a game SU should win by a few goals. As good as Teat and Fletcher are Cornell has holes all over the place. There top end faceoff guy from last year left the team and his replacement is a Freshmen Paul Rasimowicz who is under 50% for the year (47%) Cornell was dominated at the X by both Albany and Hobart. Cornell has little in the way of high quality depth to back up their starters and they turn the ball over A LOT. They are averaging over 15 turnovers a game which is 54th in the country. With Scott Firman drawing Teat you have to believe SU will be able to at least limit him. I think Cunningham likely to draw Fletcher as he is more of a dodger and Bomberry is better with a more crease oriented attackmen. I think SU has the advantage based on how the D has played to date against outstanding offenses which Cornell is not as good as. Still it would not surprise me if this is a close game if SU is turning it over and struggling to score if Mariano and Salcido are having off games. I would like to see Ben Williams build on that second half performance against Hobart and put in a vintage Ben Williams performance as he appears to be closing in on 100%. Also would like to see Desko change up that second line and give some run to Dearth and O'Sullivan. With UNC coming up on Saturday desperate for a win this is an important game for SU as a loss tonight could have us looking at an 0-2 week which would be devastating for seeding purposes. Get it done.

Was hoping to due a recap of the ND and Hobart games before this game but didn't have the time. While try and incorporate some general thoughts about those performances while taking a look at Cornell.

Cornell much like Hobart is a hard team to get a read on. They started out the year a horrific 0-5 which included blowout losses to PSU, Hobart, and Albany back to back to back. They then somehow managed to score 18 goals against UVA before blowing multiple late leads and losing 19-8 in OT. After getting demolished at Yale 17-8 in Mid March the last month or so has seen them play a lot better. They blew out Colgate and Dartmouth, and last week beat a decent Harvard team by 3 goals. They did lose by a goal (10-9) to an under .500 Penn team 2 1/2 weeks ago which shows how inconsistent they are. Overall the Cornell team is very young, of there top 6 O starters only one is an upperclassmen, 3 sophs and two true Frosh.

From a Syracuse standpoint the game is going to come down to the areas where we have struggled at times this year, GB's, turnovers, faceoffs and ability to score. Cornell presents some unique challenges as they are ninth in the country in groundballs and 12th in caused turnovers. We all know about Syracuse's struggle with GB's for a large portion of this year and our tendency to throw the ball around. Going to be critical that both areas are on point tonight especially the turnovers as SU has let teams back in games twice this year as a result of turning the ball over left and right.

From a Syracuse offensive standpoint Cornell has a solid defender in Jake Pulver and the other two close defenders have a surprisingly 15 CTO each. That being said were not talking about ND or Richmonds defense here. Cornell's scoring defense is ranked 62nd and is giving up an average of 13.22 goals per game, and this is after limiting Colgate and Dartmouth to under 6 goals and not giving up more then 10 goals over the last four games. Teams with good offenses have shredded Cornell this year, the last higher end offense Cornell faced was Yale who put up 17. I am unclear how Cornell tends to match up with Syracuse defensively. I don't think they have the personnel to double pole the midfield but with Pulver being their top D guy I could see them trying to put him on Mariano. If Cornell does indeed attempt to double pole look for Desko to go Rehfuss and have him start dodging from X. Knight their senior goalie is a good player but he's under 50% for the year and is more in the mold of the Hobart goalie then Doss at ND

Evans is coming off two solid games in a row but was held in check last year against Cornell, if he could string together a multiple point game it would really help open things up. Ditto for Bomberry who broke out last week after struggling to get much going against JHU, Duke, and ND who are all shutting him off of the crease. Solomon has continued to play well and his ability to get a hat trick almost every week has really taken some of the pressure off of Mariano and Salcido. Trimboli had his first multi goal game of his young career last week and is continuing to get better each week. His continued development is enormous not only for this season but beyond. My biggest concern offensively right now is really secondary scoring and the second mid line. We need to put Bomberry in some better scoring situations, kid has a hell of a shot and is more then just a crease finisher. We need to work him off some picks/screens and get him moving off ball a little more. Evans needs to continue to play smart, was hoping for a big scoring game from him against Hobart but though he played well. If he can have more games like he did against Hobart (1,2 I believe) that will force teams to play SU straight up versus double polling the midfield.

The second mid line continues to be beyond frustrating to watch. Simmons seems to score a goal every other game but other then that there not a whole lot going on. Lane is scuffling big time and has had back to back games with a brutal turnover. Carlin just seems to be a body out there at this point. I will say that I thought Lane did an excellent job on the man up unit against Hobart, ran the point and had an assist and a hockey assist. Needs to creep up a bit and prepare to unload that cannon as he's going to get some time and room looks. Cornell's man down D is ranked 30th which is about middle of the pack, good not great. They commit a pretty good amount of penalties as well, will be key for SU to capitalize as we were 0-4 on the man up last year.

Conclusion: This is a game SU should win by a few goals. As good as Teat and Fletcher are Cornell has holes all over the place. There top end faceoff guy from last year left the team and his replacement is a Freshmen Paul Rasimowicz who is under 50% for the year (47%) Cornell was dominated at the X by both Albany and Hobart. Cornell has little in the way of high quality depth to back up their starters and they turn the ball over A LOT. They are averaging over 15 turnovers a game which is 54th in the country. With Scott Firman drawing Teat you have to believe SU will be able to at least limit him. I think Cunningham likely to draw Fletcher as he is more of a dodger and Bomberry is better with a more crease oriented attackmen. I think SU has the advantage based on how the D has played to date against outstanding offenses which Cornell is not as good as. Still it would not surprise me if this is a close game if SU is turning it over and struggling to score if Mariano and Salcido are having off games. I would like to see Ben Williams build on that second half performance against Hobart and put in a vintage Ben Williams performance as he appears to be closing in on 100%. Also would like to see Desko change up that second line and give some run to Dearth and O'Sullivan. With UNC coming up on Saturday desperate for a win this is an important game for SU as a loss tonight could have us looking at an 0-2 week which would be devastating for seeding purposes. Get it done.

Well thought out and great analysis. Agree with most of your points. Just want to add that Bomberry has had the best pole on him the past two games which has opened things up for Mariano to rise to the occasion. Looks like whoever isn't drawing the pole between the two is going to have the big games.
Biggest complaint here is the crazy shots being taken. Especially when other guys are open to make something happen. Let's hope the clean that up and fast.

One other point, Cornell played zone most of the game last year in their win. I hope they try this again as I think it was a bit of fools gold as Salcido and Dejoe were both 0-10 and per the radio broadcast SU hit the pipe/just over shot the cage on about a half dozen looks. We have done pretty well against zones this year and with Bomberry we could bump him back to the midfield and put in Voigt and really attack the zone.

Knight their senior goalie is a good player but he's under 50% for the year and is more in the mold of the Hobart goalie then Doss at ND.

You are wiping sweat from my brow here, JeremyCuse

No standing on heads here, please.

IMG_6300.GIF

Well thought out and great analysis. Agree with most of your points. Just want to add that Bomberry has had the best pole on him the past two games which has opened things up for Mariano to rise to the occasion. Looks like whoever isn't drawing the pole between the two is going to have the big games.
Biggest complaint here is the crazy shots being taken. Especially when other guys are open to make something happen. Let's hope the clean that up and fast.

You are correct, Bomberry is often drawing the opposing teams #1 or #2 defender or at least there best crease defender. We need to try and get him some additional scoring opportunities outside of crease finishes on man ups. He has as you noted helped open things up for Mariano and also for Solomon.

Bad shots are something that has plagued SU the last few years, really hurt us in the tourney against Maryland last year. Saw a bit of it against Hobart when a few guys went to the goal when they had open players on the wings. Were a fairly unselfish team but sometimes players just can't give up an opportunity to score.

Knight their senior goalie is a good player but he's under 50% for the year and is more in the mold of the Hobart goalie then Doss at ND.

You are wiping sweat from my brow here, JeremyCuse

No standing on heads here, please.

View attachment 94942

Hey anything is possible but for the most part this year save for the second half against St. Johns SU has found a way to score we even when the opposing goalie has played well. To be honest the best performance to date might be Albany's goalie Colarusso in the 1st half of that game, dude was like a brick wall. This goalie is definitely someone who could turn in a monster game, hope we pepper him early and often.

All good points. I would really like to see us cut down on the turnovers, cut down on the wild/bad angle shots, take advantage of transition situations. There is still a sense of guys taking shots just to "get theirs", especially second mids and on occasion, Voight and Solomon. Be patient out there, look for the slide and find the open guy. I have been down on Lane this year but agree that he played well on the man up unit last week. I would like to see him shoot when he is free at it seems like the other team knows he's not going to shoot and leaves him wide open. His strength is his shot, not his dodging or ability to create in traffic. Use his strength.

I'm at the point where I'm gonna expect the Evans 1,1 or 1,2, and I think this game will be no different. I do expect Solomon to put in multi goal game hat trick honestly, dude has been doing so great things out there. Mariano is going to score and there's no ifs, ands, or buts.
Salcido is hard to get a read on as of lately, hasn't been putting the ball in the net of lately, racking up assist. I do think we should shake up the midfield , I say keep lane Simmons and add in dearth. 3rd Romano carlin osullivan mix of McKinnley.
I see the defense having a good game, keep the eraser on teat and I think the rest of the D can hold ground. And if Molloy does what he did last week then look out.
Would really like to see Williams just play flat out dominant! Do his 18-25 from X.

All good points. I would really like to see us cut down on the turnovers, cut down on the wild/bad angle shots, take advantage of transition situations. There is still a sense of guys taking shots just to "get theirs", especially second mids and on occasion, Voight and Solomon. Be patient out there, look for the slide and find the open guy. I have been down on Lane this year but agree that he played well on the man up unit last week. I would like to see him shoot when he is free at it seems like the other team knows he's not going to shoot and leaves him wide open. His strength is his shot, not his dodging or ability to create in traffic. Use his strength.

I think cutting down on the bad turnovers is the most important at this point. No team is going to have 1 or 2 two turnovers a game but to many ours have been self inflicted via dropped passes, bad passes, trying to feed someone who is surrounded, going for the highlight goal or pass for no reason etc, or falling victim to totally avoidable situations. Best example is SU turning the ball over three straight possessions against Hobart last week twice by the same defender coming out of the box stripping it from behind, you just can't have that. I think SU has done a good job of trying to push transition whenever its been there which is key for this team because they can struggle at times to score in the 6 on 6 set.

Also this team needs to continue to get better on GB's. I can't tell you how many times I have seen an SU player this year fail to get a gb because they over ran it or couldn't scoop it cleanly or just plain missed it. We were a bit better here last week but again we need that to carry over in multiple games. The other concerning aspect is that this team the last few years this one included has the tendency to play down or up to the level of competition. Held ND to 10 goals and then gave up 11 to Hobart. Now I think some of that was the D letting up a bit after a rough stretch but playing up and down like that is very dangerous as your not always going to come out on the winning end of these one goal games.

Last edited:
Ever since getting injured in the Albany game Williams hasn't been the same. I just hope he can make it through the season without another injury. Maybe they can start giving Varello some more rep's.

Ever since getting injured in the Albany game Williams hasn't been the same. I just hope he can make it through the season without another injury. Maybe they can start giving Varello some more rep's.

I think Williams clearly has been hurt, if you watched the Duke game he was clearly not 100%, ditto for Virginia. He's a warrior but he probably needed a few weeks of get right and he just wouldn't take it. Last week was the first time since the Albany game I saw flashes of the old Ben Williams, again not sure he's at or even near 100% but he did look better. Will that carry over to this game I don't know. If it doesn't I think we have a major problem because Kelly was locked in this past Sunday for UNC and he's waiting on 5 days rest on Saturday.

The other thing that is in play is that with that injury Ben went up against a trio of guys he has struggled in his career. He has struggled with Rowe 3 of the 4 times he played them and he has had issues with Moreland previously. He was a bit better against Finley but ND does such a good job mucking up every faceoff it made every draw an adventure and Ben really hit a wall in the mid third before rebounding late. Its clear to me he still isn't 100% because how many times have you seen him pinch and pop to himself like he used to a million times before the injury? Not a lot.

Desko loves Ben its pretty clear he's going to live and die by him. Just have to hope he is getting close to 100%. Very interested to see how he looks tonight. I

When hell freezes over will he give varello reps...

Which is insanity, if you asked me. Lives by Ben... therefore dies by Ben. If he struggles at the X today(Ben), it will have implications for Saturday.

Bones looked good vs. UVA. We can't come out of the gate today fragile at X.

With all that said... can't look past the Big Red. Take care of business today and worry about UNC after.

I think its clear that we should be given Varello about 5 draws a game but unless Ben is really struggling Desko just won't pull the trigger. The good news is that Varello has looked good in limited minutes/opportunities. I would like to see him get 4-6 draws a game.

Which is insanity, if you asked me. Lives by Ben... therefore dies by Ben. If he struggles at the X today(Ben), it will have implications for Saturday.

With all that said... can't look past the Big Red. Take care of business today and worry about UNC after.
Agree.

I think its clear that we should be given Varello about 5 draws a game but unless Ben is really struggling Desko just won't pull the trigger. The good news is that Varello has looked good in limited minutes/opportunities. I would like to see him get 4-6 draws a game.

Agree.

It doesn't look like it on paper but this is a pretty big game for SU. A loss here and all the stuff Quint was saying the past few weeks looks like its true and puts enormous pressure on us to beat a desperate UNC team on the road. With Cornell being 3-6 this year this is a lose/lose type of game and one of the reasons why I thought SU should have paired back the schedule a bit, tough game to play "late" in the year. ND is only playing the minimum amount of games this year like SU did two years ago, seems like a good call so far. That being said it is what it is we need to find a way to win.

Last edited:
Can't put it all on the X tho. Wing play needs to hit the GB's like it's life vs. death. No room for ball watching. Take some skulls if needed.
IMG_6301.JPG

Can't put it all on the X tho. Wing play needs to hit the GB's like it's life vs. death. No room for ball watching. Take some skulls if needed.
View attachment 94954

Cornell is a good gb team as well which is definitely not our strength. The long poles played fairly well on the wings the last few games but we need the short stick guys to get more involved. Hope we come out and really try to send a message early this game. Don't have a great feeling about this game.

We need to get after it and don't let these guys hang around. I think we might see Varello if we get up a few. Just win baby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom