Rak has really stepped up to the plate | Syracusefan.com

Rak has really stepped up to the plate

Rocco

Watching you.
Defensively, offensively... he's really improved his intensity.

When DC2 was done for the year, and now with Keita hampered, he has done exactly what this team needed him to do. Props to him.

He has developed some nice post moves (baby hook of note) and his shot-blocking is starting to take off.

He's shooting 68% from the floor this season, has anchored a stifling 2-3 zone and has averaged 3 blocks/game over the last 5 games.

Get it Rak.

duke-parker-christmas.jpg

When DC2 was done for the year, and now with Keita hampered, he has done exactly what this team needed him to do. Props to him.

He has developed some nice post moves (baby hook of note) and his shot-blocking is starting to take off.

He's shooting 68% from the floor this season, has anchored a stifling 2-3 zone and has averaged 3 blocks/game over the last 5 games.

Get it Rak.

He sure has. He went from a guy who used to run around and drift through games, getting 2 points and 2 rebounds, to a player who:

--Is showing offensive confidence
--Is finishing inside and converting the shots he's supposed to make
--Is staying out of foul trouble in general
--Is playing tough defense, and providing a formidable shot blocking presence

Kid might [will?] never be a big scorer in our system, but he's gone from a near bust to a dependable role player that anchors the defense. Hats of to Rak for putting in the hard work needed to get there, for improving his confidence through solid play, and for earning JB's "trust."

One of my favorite things is watching him peak over at the bench get some instruction then nod his head like hell yeah coach I got this. That and this kid's athleticism is unreal. The amount of time he can hang in the air to put in a tip shot waiting for it to fall off the rim or time a block as the offensive player tries to hang in the air longer to get a foul is just incredible. Dude is a freak of nature.

Offensively he is growing in confidence game by game. With his new found (relative) wealth of touches he has developed a much better feel for how he is being defended, when to make his move, and which move to make. His kick out to Cooney for the 3 last night late in the second half when we were down 9 was one of the bigger plays in the game. We had to have a bucket there and Rak was able to find us a good look. It's nice to have 5 competent and capable offensive players on the court all at once. One of the reasons I prefer this years team over the 2012 or 2013 teams.

Great posts. I've done a 180 on Rak. In previous seasons, or early this season, I was begging not to bother with the pick and roll, or looks to the bigs, kind of like with Baye now where I'd rather not risk a entry into him with his hands.

However, last night, I thought we should have gone to Rak more because his positioning was excellent, not just good, and it really opened up the court/spacing. He turned and hit the nice lefty. If we had gone right back to it, I think there might have been a bit more collapsing which will open things for TC, and CJ.

JB had a nice adjustment when he brought Rak out top. Spacing was good on it and it freed up TC. Rak is truly improving minute by minute, another reason why I'm confident going into the 2nd wknd.

Rak has come a long way this year, I agree! I'm looking forward to where he can go from here with another offseason to work. Rak has great shot blocking ability and has shown that he can hit a 15 foot jumper with good form. Most big men are projects and I'm happy he is showing promise.

Rak has come a long way this year, I agree! I'm looking forward to where he can go from here with another offseason to work. Rak has great shot blocking ability and has shown that he can hit a 15 foot jumper with good form. Most big men are projects and I'm happy he is showing promise.

He has good form at the line, too.

Amazing what happens when you pass the kid the ball. And he still doesn't get it enough.

Concur.

Still think he had this in him last year too - the knocks on his intensity were overblown, and mostly leftover from his Frosh year (when he did tend to loaf a bit at times). Can't change perception until they give you a chance too - he's finally getting some touches, and making things happen.

I guess no more off-season posts about addition by subtraction following this season...

Get it Rak.

Shooting 68% at this point in the season indicates that he is not taking enough shots.

Shooting 68% at this point in the season indicates that he is not taking enough shots.

Or it's a combination of high-percentage shots and better scoring options on the team.

A proud BUMP.

... 35 minutes
... 14 points on 4-7 shooting and 6-6 from the line
... 12 boards
... 7 blocks
... snatched the steal that led to the game-winning layup

Kid is playing with passion and lot of hustle.

I couldn't believe he kept hitting those arc-less free throws.
He definitely saved our bacon last night.

I noticed the lack of "Arc" at the Wake game. I liked the fact that he now has the confidence to take the 10-15' jumper...like Fab did two years ago.

You guys seem surprised? Kid was a McD ALL AMERICAN. Amazing what he can do when you pass him the ball and don't yank him after 1 minute.

Some of us have known he had this ability for awhile. Worst threads of all time on this board were the ones that said "Rak needed that FIRE." Okay I'm exaggerating, but they drove me nuts :eek:

You guys seem surprised? Kid was a McD ALL AMERICAN. Amazing what he can do when you pass him the ball and don't yank him after 1 minute.

Some of us have known he had this ability for awhile. Worst threads of all time on this board were the ones that said "Rak needed that FIRE." Okay I'm exaggerating, but they drove me nuts :eek:

Not surprised, but am enjoying his improved play. Let's be honest though, he has not played that well until this year. Inconsistency and a lack of a hustle was what drove JB and the staff nuts about him before... he deserved to be yanked out of games.

He's finally getting it.

GoHamSU said:
You guys seem surprised? Kid was a McD ALL AMERICAN. Amazing what he can do when you pass him the ball and don't yank him after 1 minute. Some of us have known he had this ability for awhile. Worst threads of all time on this board were the ones that said "Rak needed that FIRE." Okay I'm exaggerating, but they drove me nuts :eek:

He was a McD AA with no offense. That's where he he has improved greatly.

He was so dialed in from the line. He had that look in his eyes like Nuke LaLoosh in "Bull Durham" when he was breathing through his eyelids.

I posted earlier in the week that I believed he was arguably the 2nd best center in the ACC

going by just the traditional numbers, Miller from Ga. Tech & Sharman from ND would rank ahead of him (as would Zanna of course), but if you use the advanced stats and look at conference play only, Roc is basically tied with Zanna and trails Miller by a little in PER, and leads all centers in win shares per 40 minutes. and, the rest of them are already at their peaks, whereas Roc continues to get better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom