Rak... | Syracusefan.com

Rak...

Deano

All American
Where the heck has this offensive been the last few years. Holy cow - I know it's Kennesaw St but what an improvement on the offensive end.

Really hope DC makes it back too.

Deano said:
Where the heck has this offensive been the last few years. Holy cow - I know it's Kennesaw St but what an improvement on the offensive end. Really hope DC makes it back too.

Realistically, look at the games and you see he NEVER got the ball.

Well, when have we ever made any effort to actually get him involved offensively?
Agree about that. That's why you need an inside and an outside game to be a complete team.

Well, when have we ever made any effort to actually get him involved offensively?

This and he had Kieta behind him which I think he always thought about. Without a capable backup, there is no quick hook. If you look at last year it becomes even more evident. Kieta hurt his knee and missed a couple games. That's when Christmas started to take his game to the next level and become a presence down low.

Do you guys think he has improved, or is this more so just a guy physically dominating overmatched opponents, or a combination of both? Obviously I'm hoping it's the former.

If he could somehow have a Rick Jackson type senior year leap, that would be a godsend.

Do you guys think he has improved, or is this more so just a guy physically dominating overmatched opponents, or a combination of both? Obviously I'm hoping it's the former.

If he could somehow have a Rick Jackson type senior year leap, that would be a godsend.
I don't think it's as big a jump as people will probably say based on the stats. I think he was always capable of at least some of this, but again, we NEVER looked to feed him the ball, and Jimmy B was always quick to pull him in favor of BMK.

I loved seeing him post up in medium range and hitting with touch. I don't know if it's just the opponent, but I still haven't seen that out of him regardless of the opponent before. I also loved his free throw shooting, as some big guys don't seem as serious about it or as capable. I recall complaining last year that he'd be wide open or have his guy pinned low, and not get the ball. I love the new look of this team on offense.

Imo, I think hes improved, he improved last year to a extent where he was more explosive but wasn't ready to finish yet. Last year he was going right alot better but his shot wasn't on target. This year his shot has a shorter arc to it, hes even more explosive and now hes going left at ease, with a much quicker release even from 10 feet out.

Trying to find a good comparison for McCullough right now, he kind of has the build to be a more explosive version of Otto Porter in his college days.

/he is only playing the 5 and plays much more comfortable there
//no backup = no quick hook = added confidence
///no big time scoring wings (yet) so...
////he actually got the ball down low looking to score

he'll be very good this year barring stupid foul trouble and fatigue...which will bring on more stupid foul trouble

Bingo. He had more touches in the first 5 minutes in the post than he probably had in any single game his other three years here.

I don't think it's as big a jump as people will probably say based on the stats. I think he was always capable of at least some of this, but again, we NEVER looked to feed him the ball, and Jimmy B was always quick to pull him in favor of BMK.

Concur. You even saw him get more comfortable as the game wore on - now just imagine if you touch the ball in the post about once a game. That one touch you pretty much feel like you have to do it all. Players settle in - Rak never could settle in, just touching the ball was a freaking miracle most games.

Bingo. He had more touches in the first 5 minutes in the post than he probably had in any single game his other three years here.
What came first; the chicken or the egg? I'd wager that he got more touches because he's way more competent offensively than he is has been.

What came first; the chicken or the egg? I'd wager that he got more touches because he's way more competent offensively than he is has been.

I can't say I saw him unleash a whole new repertoire of moves. Looked like the same Rak - just A TON more touches than normal.

I'm sure he is improved, but it's not like he remade his body, or showed some never before seen skill set tonight.

Concur. You even saw him get more comfortable as the game wore on - now just imagine if you touch the ball in the post about once a game. That one touch you pretty much feel like you have to do it all. Players settle in - Rak never could settle in, just touching the ball was a freaking miracle most games.
Agreed. And think back to previous years. Rak was ALWAYS more active when he got early touches. The games when he became invisible were almost always the games when he either got a quick hook, or people refused to give him the ball.

I feel like I've been one of the few members of the Rak fan club for years now, saying he's been misused a little and should get more chances to make plays, so a game with these kinds of numbers is very vindicating.

It seems clear early on that similar to how Ennis prioritized getting Cooney the ball last season, Bookworm Assassin has prioritized getting the ball inside to Rak this season.

Ennis would have fed him if he had the offensive ability that he now has. Who wouldn't? This is his "hes alive" Frankenstein year. Baring foul trouble he will be a consistent monster regardless of the opposition and he will be a lottery pick. The old Rak is dead.

Rak is attacking the rim, something he has been loathe to do unless wide open for a dunk. Last year he favored his baby hook, which seldom went in and his 10 footer from the baseline, which went in even less. I didn't care for his shot selection in the first half tonight. Looked like he was trying too hard and settling when he could have powered to the rim. Much better in the second. Take it to the rack, Rak. He's also taking a leadership role on D and directing the young guys. Looks like a completely different and much improved player to me.

No more "wait til next year" for Rak, he will hopefully play with the purpose of a senior this entire season and launch himself into the 1st round somewhere... He will need to be able to score at the next level; since he is not an ultra instinctive rebounder.

It seldom went in because he seldom tried those shots. I think his % was better than you think.

Rak is attacking the rim, something he has been loathe to do unless wide open for a dunk. Last year he favored his baby hook, which seldom went in and his 10 footer from the baseline, which went in even less. I didn't care for his shot selection in the first half tonight. Looked like he was trying too hard and settling when he could have powered to the rim. Much better in the second. Take it to the rack, Rak. He's also taking a leadership role on D and directing the young guys. Looks like a completely different and much improved player to me.

I can't say I saw him unleash a whole new repertoire of moves. Looked like the same Rak - just A TON more touches than normal.

I'm sure he is improved, but it's not like he remade his body, or showed some never before seen skill set tonight.

I'm not sure there's a right or wrong in this argument. I remember Rak as a frosh and thinking 'whoa, this kid has some really intriguing skills for an SU big -- we don't often see a kid with hands, quick hops and some semblence of an idea on a jump shot.' Now obviously he was raw, but the tools were there.

My feeling is that they waited 2.5 years for Rak to really want this, then he earned trust the second half of last season and coming back as really the only proven entity on this roster (G is OK, but I doubt anyone really knows what to think of him; Cooney is fine but had a huge roller coaster of a year), he is bound to get more touches.

The good news is whatever happened the past three years, if this team is focused on at least getting Rak involved to some degree each game, this team benefits significantly.

I feel like I've been one of the few members of the Rak fan club for years now, saying he's been misused a little and should get more chances to make plays, so a game with these kinds of numbers is very vindicating.

It seems clear early on that similar to how Ennis prioritized getting Cooney the ball last season, Bookworm Assassin has prioritized getting the ball inside to Rak this season.

I've been a Rak 'hater', though I was really impressed with the second half of last season. Didn't see the game tonight but *if* Rak's athleticism has been turned into basketball skill, that's an awesome thing. Not getting the ball to the post ... ever ... is not a good way to go through a hoops season.

It seldom went in because he seldom tried those shots. I think his % was better than you think.
I'm well aware of his % and have discussed it in depth on this board. (Right Ghost? ;)) He made dunks and put backs, which was a huge improvement over his sophomore year. He had an annoying habit of taking the ball away from the basket and setting up. This was very seldom successful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom