Random plays that stick with you | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Random plays that stick with you

Wasn’t there a game where Pearl and Ewing traded punches?

I remember that well. They took the headress right off his head (they were redmen back then) and ran out behind the old blue curtain, up the stairs never to be seen again. I had a birds eye view sitting behind the visitors bench. I know SJU people were still looking for it years later. Never got it back that I know of.
I was in the third deck behind that basket! I remember Roger Springfield on the 11:00 news pleading the case for whoever took it to return it, what a bad look it was, how SYR Police would be lenient, etc. Whether that was sincere we’ll never know. I just remember the replacement head was nowhere near as well made as the original.

I was in the third deck behind that basket! I remember Roger Springfield on the 11:00 news pleading the case for whoever took it to return it, what a bad look it was, how SYR Police would be lenient, etc. Whether that was sincere we’ll never know. I just remember the replacement head was nowhere near as well made as the original.
I felt rather bad even though I initially laughed at the site of it. Guess it was valuable, impossible to recreate and a part of their history. Always hoped someone who took it would anonymously give it back. I guess I assumed it was a prank not theft but maybe the outrage and pleas for its return from officials scared them from giving it back.

I felt rather bad even though I initially laughed at the site of it.
kinda like otto the orange fighting the dome ranger ? (oh yes it happened i was there)

Packer was always a douche. I remember watching a Louisville game in the early 80s and milt Wagner had a breakaway and did a 360 slam. Al Maguire was thrilled, Billy Packer went on and on about how ridiculous and dangerous the play was, and how Wagner could have cost his team two points. I never liked him after that!
Maguire made that announcing team Packer was annoying jerk.

Every time I see someone do an ‘X’ after a nice play or shot, I immediately think this person sucks. Thank you Carl Krauser.

Anytime I see my kid get in the other face of my other kid, and the instigator kid whines/cries after retaliation then I think ‘oh lovely I created an Aaron Craft’.
Imagine what other teams think of Judah?

Sherman hiking the ball to Steve Thompson against Indiana.

My fantasies for '87 include Smart making his shot but we immediately inbound to Thompson, who hikes it to Sherman...

Or just lift that whole preseason NIT game and drop it into the '87 slot.

Pearls half court shot at the buzzer

Another '87 fantasy is Pearl says for his senior year and we immediately inbound to him at half-court and he...

kinda like otto the orange fighting the dome ranger ? (oh yes it happened i was there)
That I DIDN’t laugh at - nor when people would go after that dome Eddie. Those aren’t pranks where no one gets hurt.

Seriously though, Hak's block of Lee's shot I could watch over and over again.

But what sticks with me is the last-ditch shot after the block (that I was SURE was going in) and Kueth's grab and cradle of the air ball.

Tears.

Deep inside, I still think Hak got a finger on that one, too.

An oldie but far from goodie that fits this perfectly is Elmer Bennett in the dome in 1990. If you know you know. If you’re too young to know I’m pretty sure you can find it on YouTube

If it's the last play, FRONT THE INBOUNDS PASS! You just told your players not to foul, (and they're going to try a three pointer), so having all five defenders back does you no good. You want the clock to start with the ball 80 feet from the basket.

Devo making a left hand jump shot from the baseline. I believe his freshman year.
Z Sims with a pass off the backboard to JW in an early season or pre-season game.
Tony Bruin baseline dunk over Ewing at the Dome.
Cleveland State’s 3/4 shot to win.
McNeil’s FTs vs Pitt.
Pearl making Thompson take off the press.
The Phi Slamma Jamma game. Crazy good college game.

Dueling slams, Tony Bruin vs. Clyde Drexler in the Houston game.

That I DIDN’t laugh at - nor when people would go after that dome Eddie. Those aren’t pranks where no one gets hurt.
no kidding. try explaining to the crew at crouse how that that knitting needle just missed my spleen. doc... honest to god she stole my program while i was getting a dome foam.

Does anybody else have random plays from regular season games roughly a decade or more in the past that they think about a few times a week?

For me, it’s the floppiest flop of all time by a floppy flopper, Ryan Arcidiacono. On December 2014, to my recollection, he fell down as if shot by a howitzer during an otherwise meaningless regular season game and despite not being touched. That flop capped off an immensely BS comeback that resulted in a Nova OT win, some say is the most undeserved win in human history, across all sports and wars.

This lives with me to the point that I saw him on the bench during a Knicks game earlier this season and had a visceral “Fudge that P-word B” reaction before I knew what happened.

Anyway, anybody else hate a man for something insignificant they did forever ago?

*I took a liquid lunch at BWW that is turning into liquid dinner and these NCAAT games suck.

Devo deserved that game winner that ended up being the 6 OT game. Table stand should have lived for eternity as an all time walk off moment

An oldie but far from goodie that fits this perfectly is Elmer Bennett in the dome in 1990. If you know you know. If you’re too young to know I’m pretty sure you can find it on YouTube
Fun fact - that night, Buster Douglas knocked out Mike Tyson. Still not sure which was more shocking.

Ill never forget 1975 Jimmy knocking down the jumper to take down NC. Great pass by Rudy.

Then you will also never forget Bug Williams going 60 feet in 3 three seconds off the dribble to get the ball to Rudy at the top of the key where he threw a missile of of a hook shot in to get us into OT in the reginal final and on the road to San Diego.

Last edited:
A regular season memory that does stick out to me was Gerry’s game winning 3 from the corner against Notre Dame in 2003. That was around the time that season I started believing they could be a really good team.

If I recall, it was the first shot he'd made in the whole game. He had no doubt it was going in.