Randy Staats | Syracusefan.com

Randy Staats

WoodyUK

Lax Maven
12913610-standard.jpg

Randy Staats by all account is working hard to be up on the hill in Jan!, He must walk around the OCC campus every day looking down at the distant Carrier Dome, its good motivation! he is hoping to finish off classes in the next few months and finally be accepted to SU and ready to go for the Spring season and the 2014 NCAA Lacrosse season.

I have been fortunate to see Randy play a lot over the years and have hoped that he will play for the Orange at some point in the future, he had offers from Maryland and Hofstra along the way but finally decided to commit to Cuse last Feb. I first saw him play in 2008 in British Colombia, Canada as a 15 year old playing in an U19 World Games for the Iroquois nation, Randy, Lyle Thompson and current OCC goalkeeper Warren Hill all had to apply for dispensation to play as they were considered too young by teh ILF. I believe Randy and Lyle ended up on the world team that summer! As 15 year olds they still jumped out at you and both had a limitless skill set, Randy played midfield and faced off and excelled, we played them twice that summer (I coached for team England) once in the bronze medal game and offensively we just couldn’t stop them, too many weapons, too crafty they just over powered us with their skill, they played in a way we just couldn’t hold down! I remember sat in my room in the dorms typing on the computer that Cuse should get hold of Lyle, Myles and Staats. Randy ended up with 14 Goals and 3 Assists.

I know after this Randy continued to play Box at Six Nations and also attended the Hill Academy. At some point along the way he damaged his knee and worked hard to rehab his knee and get healthy again to get to the next level. It’s not all been awards and glory for this kid, he has accepted his setbacks and worked hard to overcome them, serious injury is not easy for Lacrosse players to take and know from experience that you have to be mentally tough to get through this!

I then saw Randy play again in the 2012 U19 World Games (Randy's second U19 games), this time I was a spectator as my son was playing for Team England in Finland and I wanted to take it all in. Randy this time was playing attack and again was amazing in every game. The Nationals made history by beating the US in one of the best games I had ever seen, unfortunately they lost the re-match with the US in the semi-final, after the game the Nationals sat outside the locker room in tears with fans and coaches around them trying to lift their spirits as they had performed amazingly well through-out the tournament and had become the fans favourite! I thought Randy would have walked on the world team but unfortunately he was snubbed for some reason and future OCC team mate Seth Oakes was chosen instead.

worldsIroquois2.jpg

My son then went to OCC in spring 2013 to play lacrosse and I saw a number of their games, Randy would start every game, getting beaten up physically and still put up amazing numbers, he is a leader and showed his desire and want to get to the next level. He finished his 2 years at OCC with National Championship rings in 2012 and 2013 and with player of the year honours, he is ready for the next level and we should all be proud of the day he wears the Orange jersey, it has been his hard work in the class room on the field and in the trainer’s room that has got him there.

The clock is ticking on Randy's eligibility, he will see the field at SU there is no doubt, I can see his first year being spent at Midfield, as Coaches say get your best players on the field, he will pay us back and think his style of play will bring people to their feet in the Dome, don’t hand cuff this kid let him express himself as Coach Simmons jr would have!

Good Luck Randy! hope to see you in Jan 14.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom