Rank these options | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rank these options

Cuseman78 said:
Until he proved his worth at Maryland.

Probably true.

But I don't think Maryland will ever be happy.

I don't see them winning there in the B1G.

Randy Edsall, Chris Ash, Ed Orgeron if these were the final 3 candidates?

For me it would go 1. Orgeron.2. Edsall...3.Ash

1. Edsall
2. Orgeron
2A. Ash

Everyone hates edsall, I understand this, but do people also realize that what he pulled off at UConn was pretty impressive?

Until he proved his worth at Maryland.

Things fell apart a bit the year but they really didn't have many bad losses. The Ohio states and MSUs and PedSt's of the world will be a tough slog for anyone who takes that job.

billsin01 said:
Things fell apart a bit the year but they really didn't have many bad losses. The Ohio states and MSUs and PedSt's of the world will be a tough slog for anyone who takes that job.

Maryland is a lot like SU in the ACC.

Gonna a be hard to to win more than 7-8 games.

Please tell me Edsall isn't an option. We might as well bring Coach P back.

SU needs some fire!!! And... A lot more talent on the field. HC that can recruit .
Only good choice is Orgeron. Had they not messed around and hired him right off he would have been on the recruiting trail right now..

I'd have to figure out what to do with the money I saved from having no season tickets if Edsall got hired. And I am not kidding. I would become a huge Buffalo Bulls fan.

Ok, let's be honest, I wouldn't trade in my season tickets, but I would start buying industrial-sized containers of vasoline for my chapped ass.

UConn played in the Yankee Conference when he took over.

They played Maine, Rhode Island and New Hampshire.

Their football office was a glorified trailer.

From there to the Fiesta Bowl was better than mediocre.

So true he won the big east by default. But the real question is how would he do with more resources and an ACC schedule?

Boy, I guess we'll never know.

Attachments

• image-4120999070.jpg
    image-4120999070.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 58
Ash is the only one that we don't know anything about as a head coach.

The other two are bad options. One worse than the other, but neither one very good.
Id like a few reasons why Bebe is a bad option for us. Please tell me.

1. RE
2. EO
3. Ash

Randy was not a good fit a Maryland. I believe that is why it didn't work out there for him. I think he is an east coast guy who got a lot out of his recruits and found diamonds in the rough. He took UCONN to a BCS bowl game and multiple bowl seasons building that program from the ground up. He is also a Syracuse guy (not that big for me but former players and alumni would like him all that much more if he won).

EO - if he agreed to buy into an offensive philosophy and OC recommended by Coyle
Ash - I assume he would agree to the above also
Rehire Shafer - I think FHCSS would have been open to any offense once he had the personnel to run it

This is the worst F, Marry, Kill I've ever seen.

Bringing RE into the equation you just made Chris Ash seem a lot more palatable to a lot of SU fans!

Please tell me Edsall isn't an option. We might as well bring Coach P back.

well, in P's final six seasons -- post-McNabb and well after the bloom had come off the rose on his tenure at the Cuse, his record was 39-32 (.549) with a 2-1 record in bowl games. Not super exciting nor worthy of his continued employment for a university that believed it was capable of being a BCS-type team each year.

However, as we sit here and contemplate a new coach, our record in the 11 years since firing P is 48-83. Our best multi-year stretch in there? 2012-2013 we went 15-11 (.576). So we haven't even had a two-year period in the ensuing 11 years that is much better than what P did over his final six seasons post-McNabb.

So the bottom line? Yes, if we could find P's clone at this point, we probably do need to hire him. And if we get sick of mediocrity in five years? Well, at least we'd be sick of mediocrity instead of truly dismal performance.

Edsall was 70-63 as a coach at UConn (while they were 1A -- discounting the year in the A-10). That a .526 winning percentage. Now, this is cherry picking, but if you figure it's logical to think that with all the transition they had it was going to take him a bit to build up the the talent, then you could throw out his first three seasons ('99-'01), at which point his record improves to 65-46 (.586). I mean, at a university in the northeast (meaning there is relevancy to his resume unlike a lot of these other dudes) that had atrocious facilities, zero history and a paltry fan base? I mean, what would people have considered successful there?

I don't know, I get that Edsall is more of a low-ceiling hire, but he's a guy who's proven he can win in the northeast, win consistently in the northeast (at least 8 wins in each of his final four seasons at UConn) and win against teams with -- for all intents and purposes -- more talent as he did at UConn and in the first year in the B1G at UMD. I personally feel like you could do way worse.

1. Edsall
2. Orgeron
2A. Ash

Everyone hates edsall, I understand this, but do people also realize that what he pulled off at UConn was pretty impressive?
And then he sucked at Maryland. Its a what have you done lately business.

1. RE
2. EO
3. Ash

Randy was not a good fit a Maryland. I believe that is why it didn't work out there for him. I think he is an east coast guy who got a lot out of his recruits and found diamonds in the rough. He took UCONN to a BCS bowl game and multiple bowl seasons building that program from the ground up. He is also a Syracuse guy (not that big for me but former players and alumni would like him all that much more if he won).
Maryland isn't on the east coast? It is 3 hours from NYC for crying out loud. And he was a Syracuse guy in 1980 who supposedly whined when he did not get the job in the past. And whether he was a good fit or not at Maryland, he did nothing to help himself and left completely hated by the fans and many players. I don't get why there is any love for this guy.

1. RE
2. EO
3. Ash

I think you could even argue that his tenure at UMD wasn't as bad as people think. He took over and cleaned house -- something a lot of these coaches do for some strange reason -- and paid the price in year 1. Then the record, though not very good, improved in year 2. By year three they were back in a bowl and year 4 they played better in the B1G then most people would have predicted. Then comes year 5. A disaster to a certain degree with a 3-9 record, but let's not all gasp in horror at that without at least giving him some credit for context. Obviously a coach needs to win more than three games, but outside of a brutal loss to WVU (45-6, though not a bad opponent) -- UMD lost to Bowling Green (not a big name but a program that is rolling right now), Michigan, Ohio State, by a point to PedSt, Iowa, by one score to Wisconsin, Michigan St., and Indiana. So IU a not great loss but a team with a really good offense. WVU lopsided and ugly but hardly inexcusable to lose to WVU. Bowling Green would have liked to win a game like that but not like losing to an FCS team or something.

So I suppose you could argue that should have had a better shot vs. IU and WVU and hopefully beat Bowling Green. But as ugly as that record is, it's not terribly surprising given that schedule.

Maryland isn't on the east coast? It is 3 hours from NYC for crying out loud. And he was a Syracuse guy in 1980 who supposedly whined when he did not get the job in the past. And whether he was a good fit or not at Maryland, he did nothing to help himself and left completely hated by the fans and many players. I don't get why there is any love for this guy.

If he is such a total a-hole that everyone hates him, then fine. I'm fine with that as a reason for not considering him. But do you really not think he could at least straighten out this program and make them competitive again? I mean you honestly think he couldn't do that?

And then he sucked at Maryland. Its a what have you done lately business.

But none of the other guys on that list have done anything lately (as head coaches at least) either? In fact, few of the candidates who've been mentioned have. If we're hiring the Bowling Green guy or the Memphis guy or someone like that, then fine. But a co-coordinator from a big school? Eh, that seems like a huge gamble, when what we really need is a guy is a pretty safe bet to at least get us back to a level where .500 is a reasonable expectation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom