Ranking the 5 Best Scorers in Orange History | Syracusefan.com

Ranking the 5 Best Scorers in Orange History

Interesting list I would probably put GMAC in the top 10 but not #3, probably put john Wallace or billy Owens in there

I don't agree with that list at all. Carmelo and Bing have to be 1 and 2, in what order, I am not sure. But to use the rationale that Carmelo averaged 22 and if he had stayed for four years he would have scored far more than anyone, but not use Bing's 24+ point average to figure total points if he could play four years. It is a difficult list to compile for many reasons, and it is good for debate, but doesn't seem that consistant.

Site wouldn't load for me, but going off oldpinepoint- Gmac at 3 is silly.

1. Bing/Melo
2. Melo/Bing
3. Moten
4. Owens
5. Coleman

If we're ranking the players by how good of a scorer they were at their prime while at SU, I think I'd swap out Moten for Wallace - I agree with your other 4.

I don't agree with that list at all. Carmelo and Bing have to be 1 and 2, in what order, I am not sure. But to use the rationale that Carmelo averaged 22 and if he had stayed for four years he would have scored far more than anyone, but not use Bing's 24+ point average to figure total points if he could play four years. It is a difficult list to compile for many reasons, and it is good for debate, but doesn't seem that consistant.
Agree.

I would go with Bing, Melo, Owens, Moten and as a complete wild card, Bill Smith. Never saw him play but he averaged over 20 ppg for his career and Bees likes him.

That is good enough for me.

Agree.

I would go with Bing, Melo, Owens, Moten and as a complete wild card, Bill Smith. Never saw him play but he averaged over 20 ppg for his career and Bees likes him.

can't argue against that top 5!

If we're ranking the players by how good of a scorer they were at their prime while at SU, I think I'd swap out Moten for Wallace - I agree with your other 4.
I agree to a point but Wallace did a lot more as far as attitude, rebounds and defense to go along with all the points.

Agree.

Smith might be the best center in program history. Even better than Seikaly / Bouie.

Coleman doesn't belong anywhere on that list. "SCORERS" Derrick was maybe the best player we've ever had; he had such a well rounded game. But I don't think he was ever the team's leading scorer, except maybe his senior year, but I think Billy Owens had a higher average. Best TEAMMATE ever, no doubt. Unselfish passer, enforcer, one of the best rebounders in college history.

My list of top 5 scorers would be:

1. Lawrence Moten
2. Dave Bing
3. Carmelo Anthony
4. Greg Kohls
5. John Wallace
6. Bill Smith
7. Dennis Duval

Smith might be the best center in program history. Even better than Seikaly / Bouie.

He put up great numbers, but we played in the minor leagues in those days, and I don't think his athleticism was anywhere close to the other guys.

He put up great numbers, but we played in the minor leagues in those days, and I don't think his athleticism was anywhere close to the other guys.

Definitely a different era, but he played in the NBA. Don't sell his athleticism short.

I stand by my post above: pound-for-pound, the best center we've ever had. I concede that he wasn't on par with Seikaly athletically--but few are.

It sort of depends on how you judge it, right?

I know Moten scored a bazillion and two points, but a big part of that was shear year-to-year consistency and also the fact that he didn't have to wait around for a few years to get a shot at major minutes or a major role in the offense.

If you just take their best individual season, you'd have to go Bing/Melo as 1/2 in some order (I'd probably put Melo first simply because Bing was before my time), then Owens (JR year), and Wallace (SR year). Then you have a boatload of players vying for 5th. Moten's JR year, when he peaked at 21.5 ppg, would probably slide in there for 5th.

Warrick's and Shumpert's SR years haven't been mentioned but both of them put up > 20 ppg.

It sort of depends on how you judge it, right?

I know Moten scored a bazillion and two points, but a big part of that was shear year-to-year consistency and also the fact that he didn't have to wait around for a few years to get a shot at major minutes or a major role in the offense.

If you just take their best individual season, you'd have to go Bing/Melo as 1/2 in some order (I'd probably put Melo first simply because Bing was before my time), then Owens (JR year), and Wallace (SR year). Then you have a boatload of players vying for 5th. Moten's JR year, when he peaked at 21.5 ppg, would probably slide in there for 5th.

Warrick's and Shumpert's SR years haven't been mentioned but both of them put up > 20 ppg.

It's interesting that, until Billy Owens' junior year (90-91?), no player under Boeheim averaged 20 PPG. Then, Boom, they exploded.

GMAC a better scorer than Owens and Wallace? Bleacherreport. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom