RB position changes coming | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RB position changes coming

... if this quote from the article is true (seems #22 and Moe fit the bill):

"Pierre said he was told by Hart that SU will be moving one or more of its current backs to different positions and that the staff wants to bring in some of their own recruits to compete."

Syracuse football recruiting: 3-star RB B.J. Daniels has SU, USF on top with visits coming

I dont care for the way this story got out. Not a fan of negatively and bad mouthing current players busting their butts for this staff. All this family talk, developing guys. I know coaches need to court and make promises to recruits but there is a better way to go about it rather than saying...hey, the guys you see playing this year won't be there next year and you will handed the job. All you need to tell a recruit is you will have a chance to compete. All the talk about our current guys arent downhill guys and don't fit the system is classless. There is a way to keep current players happy and and motivated at the same time recruits seeing an opportunity.

I dont care for the way this story got out. Not a fan of negatively and bad mouthing current players busting their butts for this staff. All this family talk, developing guys. I know coaches need to court and make promises to recruits but there is a better way to go about it rather than saying...hey, the guys you see playing this year won't be there next year and you will handed the job. All you need to tell a recruit is you will have a chance to compete. All the talk about our current guys arent downhill guys and don't fit the system is classless. There is a way to keep current players happy and and motivated at the same time recruits seeing an opportunity.

Classless is telling them their scholarships aren't being renewed because they don't fit the system. This isn't kindergarten. And for all you know, this may have already been discussed with the current players.

Classless is telling them their scholarships aren't being renewed because they don't fit the system. This isn't kindergarten. And for all you know, this may have already been discussed with the current players.

Hopefully it was, but having that conversation during the season and some good vibes after 2 wins is questionable. I get it. Its cut throat, but there is a way to keep everyone happy and motivated too.

Maybe the way it went down is they told Neal his future is at slot but if he wanted to play sooner he could compete for time at running back, and everybody has known all along that the plan was for that to be temporary.

Maybe the way it went down is they told Neal his future is at slot but if he wanted to play sooner he could compete for time at running back, and everybody has known all along that the plan was for that to be temporary.

I like the neal idea. Always thought he was destined for the slot. But to call our current rbs stir fried ? Don't agree with it.

So we are changing our running back philosophy based on what a recruit who is committed to another school is saying publicly...to a Syracuse.com "journo" no less.

Got it.

Last edited:
Of course lets move our starting RB. Lets also move ED while we are at it.
Moe to the slot

Moe to the slot
Babers to coach the linebackers.

Agree 100%. He is a Philips clone, and his body type is more suited to WR than RB. Would love to see him move there, eventually replacing Erv after he graduates.

I don't think he is like Phillips in style though. Phillips has a better cut move and Moe seems to prefer to be more physical. I agree Moe's position is probably the slot.

Why would you move Strickland out of the RB position? He'd be far more productive if the line could open up a hole for him to run through. He's not a guy that's going to beat you east/west, but if he's running between the tackles he could be very good. Just need to open lanes.
If he's not going to beat you east/west and he isn't big/strong enough to break tackles then what does he do for you at the running back position? Anyone could run through wide open holes.

We need a RB who can either (a) juke and make the defender miss on the rare occasion there is open field, (b) outrun the defender (east/west), or (c) run through the defender. Does Strickland do any of those things at a Power 5 conference level?

I'm with you, money. I do not think the issue is that Strickland lacks vision or whatever else is being tossed around. The OL is struggling to create seams, not to mention they are almost always trying to run inside against a stacked box.
It can be both.

I don't think he is like Phillips in style though. Phillips has a better cut move and Moe seems to prefer to be more physical. I agree Moe's position is probably the slot.

How can you tell at this juncture? We haven't seen much of Moe.

And Philips today is different from Philips two years ago [i.e., where Moe is on his developmental curve].

Why would you move Strickland out of the RB position? He'd be far more productive if the line could open up a hole for him to run through. He's not a guy that's going to beat you east/west, but if he's running between the tackles he could be very good. Just need to open lanes.

I tend to agree with this as well. I see Moe to the slot as a natural move to replace Estime and eventually Erv. I think Strickland can certainly be effective when we can actually open some holes for him.

Moe to the slot

He's the starter by default. It's not like they're trotting Walter Reyes out there.

"You will have a chance to compete" doesn't get Florida kids with multiple offers to come to Upstate New York to play football. Sorry.

How can you tell at this juncture? We haven't seen much of Moe.

And Philips today is different from Philips two years ago [i.e., where Moe is on his developmental curve].

Maybe...I haven't seen the quick cut from him spring or this season and I saw that from Phillips day 1. The biggest difference to me is that Moe was more ready as a receiver earlier than Phillips and I will be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong and would be thrilled for you to do an I told you so!

Every back could be effective if they had wide open holes to run through.

I'm not sure how SU handles them but scholarships aren't just for one year any longer...they are four year scholarships.

College sports: Scholarships not four-year guarantees

Last edited:
"You will have a chance to compete" doesn't get Florida kids with multiple offers to come to Upstate New York to play football. Sorry.

I agree and I guess I don't see how one mention of some current RBs being moved equals that these freshman will be handed the keys.

Maybe...I haven't seen the quick cut from him spring or this season and I saw that from Phillips day 1. The biggest difference to me is that Moe was more ready as a receiver earlier than Phillips and I will be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong and would be thrilled for you to do an I told you so!

I don't want to do an I told you so! ; )

I just want to get the ball into the hands of players who can make plays in space. Neal fits the bill as a playmaker, which will be important for a team seeking to replace Etta-Tawo and Estime next year.

I believe Neal is better suited for the slot, and miscast as a RB -- especially behind this subpar offensive line, which struggles to run block.

Last edited:
My wishful thinking is Fredericks tears up spring ball and takes back the #1 RB spot.

Strickland replaces Brisley

Moe moves in behind Phillips

Bring in 2 blue chip Freshman running backs.

Stinks that we couldnt sway Hamilton or Killians last year who went to UCF.
Think of the old Miami Dolphins with Larry Csonka. If one of these guys could run downhill like Larry, perhaps Moe could be our Jim Kiick and Brisley might be our Mercury Morris. :confused:

All the talk about needing a gi-normous back to run downhill people should go watch Bowling Green last year.

2 RB’s both 5-10 or less and 195/200.

Yeah this is not the offense that you need bruisers.

My wishful thinking is Fredericks tears up spring ball and takes back the #1 RB spot.

Strickland replaces Brisley

Moe moves in behind Phillips

Bring in 2 blue chip Freshman running backs.

Stinks that we couldnt sway Hamilton or Killians last year who went to UCF.

I'm with this line of thinking but I"m guessing Fredericks moves on (just based on how things seem to work, not any inside knowledge). My thoughts on Strickland are these:

1. He has shown you essentially nothing this year. Yes, OL has been an issue and it's first year in the system and he's a young back. All of those could be factors. Having said that, really haven't seen anything from him that makes you optimistic.

2. Young kids play at RB all the time -- even if you like Strickland's potential there, is there a decent chance you could upgrade with a younger player? Seems like the answer could be yes.

3. Could Strickland -- even if you more or less like him at RB -- potentially help you out more somewhere else? WR or DB? I always think of tebucky jones who was a phenomenal athlete but was only solid at RB. Meanwhile, he plays one year at safety and basically plays at an All-American level and goes on to a strong NFL career. RBs need talent but above all they need to be RBs. Not sure Strickland is.