Class of 2016 - RB Tyler Thompson (NJ) Verbal to UMass | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Tyler Thompson (NJ) Verbal to UMass

Love Thompson's ability and very much want to see him in Orange.

it's all just speculation about backing off him. i dont believe that to be true.

It must be just me - but I don't see Thompson as a hit or miss prospect. A lot of his runs are the result of really bad line-backing play. The pursit angles on the LBs are pretty bad. His hips look a little stiff to me as well.

It could be the NC bias in me - but I'd prefer Neal to Thompson at the HBack position.

Maybe i'm just higher on Thompson then other people are because imo he is too good to pass up, no matter who is committed.
I am not high on Thompson. Anomander, do you think he's as good as Washington? Thats who he will be replacing. We dont need 2 backs in this class. Unless the plan is to put Perkins on D and Fredricks at the HB. Thompson doesnt show versitilty like Neal does. Neal can be a TB, HB or a DB. Thompson is just a TB and he doesnt run pass people or doesnt break alot of tackles. I saw alot of 10 to 20 yard runs, not enough big runs. I just think he is a solid back that should be a plan B. He doesnt look like a HB to me. I dont see the hands or the elusiveness from him to play HB.

I am not high on Thompson. Anomander, do you think he's as good as Washington? Thats who he will be replacing. We dont need 2 backs in this class. Unless the plan is to put Perkins on D and Fredricks at the HB. Thompson doesnt show versitilty like Neal does. Neal can be a TB, HB or a DB. Thompson is just a TB and he doesnt run pass people or doesnt break alot of tackles. I saw alot of 10 to 20 yard runs, not enough big runs. I just think he is a solid back that should be a plan B. He doesnt look like a HB to me. I dont see the hands or the elusiveness from him to play HB.

I went back and watched his highlights again, and still feel he is too good to pass up if he wanted to commit. I don't know about the 10 to 20 yard runs, I saw plenty of long TD runs on his Sophomore highlights. I agree, I think he is a more natural TB, so he may not have the versatility of Neal, but then again I think his highlights are superior to both Fredericks, and Perkins.

Just didnt see enough explosive plays to say he's a must get. I saw more explosiveness and big play potential in Fredericks film. Only watched Thompson's film once. Didn't watch his soph. year.

jekelish said:
It's already been stated previously, though, that the coaches were recruiting him specifically as an H-back. EDIT: Yep, in a Skout article, Thompson said that Lester was recruiting him as an h-back.

Just doesn't seem to be an H back. Not overly fast, more of a between the tackles type of back.

Just doesn't seem to be an H back. Not overly fast, more of a between the tackles type of back.
I know...just repeating what he was quoted as saying, from what the SU coaches told him.

jekelish said:
I know...just repeating what he was quoted as saying, from what the SU coaches told him.

Wonder if any other back we're going to recruit in the class, we're going to call an H-back.

money3189 said:
Just didnt see enough explosive plays to say he's a must get. I saw more explosiveness and big play potential in Fredericks film. Only watched Thompson's film once. Didn't watch his soph. year.

You'll see a big difference. Check it out when you have a chance and Let me know if your opinion changes .

he makes a lot of people miss with that little stop and go cutback. This kid is impressive to my eyes and has good vision and good feet.

for sure Neal is faster but Neal is also a lot smaller . Thompson is a pretty chiseled kid, might be an inch or two taller and 25 pounds heavier.

God forbid we take a lot of skilled kids who also pass the looks test

With Bryant going to Kansas St., any chance that Thompson is back in the picture? I have no idea if this is a possibility, just wondering.

With Bryant going to Kansas St., any chance that Thompson is back in the picture? I have no idea if this is a possibility, just wondering.
He's a traditional RB too i think.

I think the Cuse should accept TT's commitment for I assume he can also play DB.

I hope so. Not sure what happened to him? I know he was very interested at one point. Personally he was one of my favorite recruits, and think with a strong Senior season (missed Jr year) he will have a lot more options. I'd like to see us get back involved before hand.

I think we'll see Thompson back in the picture IF Moe Neal passes. I don't think we'd take both.

Unfortunately for Tyler, the ship has almost certainly sailed unless Stubbs switches over to DB:

Unfortunately for Tyler, the ship has almost certainly sailed unless Stubbs switches over to DB:

I think Stubbs is being listed as a CB.

At TOS the have him listed that way and maybe we wanted him more than the canuck.....

I think Stubbs is being listed as a CB.
Not that I've seen. He's been recruited as a hybrid according to everything I've read and been told, unless something has changed drastically since he committed.

Not that I've seen. He's been recruited as a hybrid according to everything I've read and been told, unless something has changed drastically since he committed.
go over to TOS...

go over to TOS...
Don't look at his profile. It's wrong. This is from the article on TOS when he committed:

"Syracuse is bringing Stubbs in as an h-back in order to take full advantage of his speed, athleticism and playmaking abilities. He sees it as a perfect fit as well."

go over to TOS...

That's just how they project him. Has nothing to do with how our coaches see him.

And no way they had any of these guys higher then the Canuck. Rene was the very first DB they started recruiting for 2016. The kid moved on from us, simple as that.

[QUOTE="anomander, post: 1446477, member: 2766" The kid moved on from us, simple as that.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly why I am not worried, things are not always controlled by what Syracuse wants or what the fans want.....move on to the next who wants to be here.

anomander said:
That's just how they project him. Has nothing to do with how our coaches see him. And no way they had any of these guys higher then the Canuck. Rene was the very first DB they started recruiting for 2016. The kid moved on from us, simple as that.

Win some, lose some. Who knows why he moved on. It can be anything.