Realistic Expectations | Syracusefan.com

Realistic Expectations

anomander

Living Legend
Ok we are half way through the season. We need to do the opposite of our 2-4 start to fight to bowl eligibility once again. Here is everyone's chance to change their predictions.

How do we finish the 2nd half of the season?

As much as I want to go with 6-6 I don't think we will be consistent enough on offense so i'll go with 5-7.

Wake - Win 24-10
Clemson - Loss 31-10
NC ST - Win 27-24
Duke - Loss 31-24
Pitt - Win 21-20
BC - Loss 21-17

Ok we are half way through the season. We need to do the opposite of our 2-4 start to fight to bowl eligibility once again. Here is everyone's chance to change their predictions.

As much as I want to go with 6-6 I don't think we will be consistent enough on offense so i'll go with 5-7.

Wake - Win 24-10
Clemson - Loss 31-10
NC ST - Win 27-24
Duke - Loss 31-24
Pitt - Win 21-20
BC - Loss 21-17

I see it somewhat like that too...but hope for 6-6. I won't complain one bit for St. Pete.

Wake - Win 24-10
Clemson - Loss 31-10
NC ST - Win 27-24
Duke - Loss 31-24
Pitt - Win 21-20
BC - Loss 21-17
if they have to go 5-7, i sure hope the 7th loss doesn't come before BC

Injuries are becoming a huge issue. With word that Kimble is banged up, there might be no one behind Long this weekend..

I think Wake and NC State are must-win games and Pitt is the next most likely win. At this point, 6-6 and a bowl would be a success.

Wake - Win 24-10
Clemson - Loss 31-10
NC ST - Win 27-24
Duke - Loss 31-24
Pitt - Win 21-20
BC - Loss 21-17

Wake - Win 21-3
Clemson - Loss 24-18 (surprising and painfully close)
NC ST - Win 35-17
Duke - Loss 32-21
Pitt - Win 28-10
BC - Win 24-21

6-6

Injuries are becoming a huge issue. With word that Kimble is banged up, there might be no one behind Long this weekend..

I think Wake and NC State are must-win games and Pitt is the next most likely win. At this point, 6-6 and a bowl would be a success.
broyld might end up at qb

Well, thankfully there are 4 starting RBs

Wake - Win 24-10
Clemson - Loss 31-10
NC ST - Win 27-24
Duke - Loss 31-24
Pitt - Win 21-20
BC - Loss 21-17
I think we can squeak out 2 of 6. Should be able to handle wake and one of Pitt/nc state. I see 4 wins max.

WF absolutely has to be a win.

NC State, Pitt, and BC are all winnable. Looks like we have to win all three, given that we stubbed our toe in two other games that were also winnable [maryland / louisville]. Wish we had picked up that third win, because it is difficult to have to have to be "perfect" and win so many games on the road.

We can definitely get to 6, but I'm guessing we fall just short. 5-7.

A lot depends on how solid Long can be the rest of the way. If he plays every game as strongly as against FSU, then we might experience an offensive resurgence down the stretch that will propel us. I'm worried about injuries stacking up, depth, etc.

2-4, 4-8.

I can see that (Wake & NC State wins, lose the rest), but I'm going with 5-7. Win Saturday, lose the following weekend, and split November.

I look forward to the AJ Long era, but he's still a true freshman, I see a lot of bumps in the road coming up. No matter how confident he is (which is great).

I can see that (Wake & NC State wins, lose the rest), but I'm going with 5-7. Win Saturday, lose the following weekend, and split November.

I look forward to the AJ Long era, but he's still a true freshman, I see a lot of bumps in the road coming up. No matter how confident he is (which is great).

My opinion only, but I think our "ceiling" on the remaining games / whether we get to bowl eligibility is all contingent upon AJ Long, and how effectively he can run the offense now that teams will have film and will be game planning against him. If he plays all year like he did against FSU [more or less, eliminating a few of the mistakes], then we can get to a bowl. That's a lot to put on the shoulders of a true frosh. Here's hoping that he has a similar performance this Saturday, and that he can build upon this initial success.

lowered-expectations.jpg

4-8; 5-7

Beat Wake, get brought back to earth @ Clemson, toss up shootout with NC State, lose a shootout with Duke, and win one rock fight between Pitt and BC.

It could be better or worse depending on how healthy we can get in the next few weeks and avoid further injuries.

Last edited:
Hmmm... did he sprain his brain wearing a headset?

One of the Sunday articles had a quote from I believe Lester that Kimble was still having issues with his back. It seemed to infer that was the reason he had fallen behind Wilson and Long on the depth chart.

While I am a big Austin Wilson fan, I think AJ is a real leader, brash to be sure, but sometimes that is exactly what is needed. I think Wake is his real coming out party and I think he will shine.

After that, I think there is a good chance that we scare Clemson and then run the table. AJ gets better every game and makes everybody around him better.

This program has needed a real transformative player for some time - AJ could be the one. After all, he got a freakin Syracuse tattoo!

Finish 5-1 for a 7-5 season and then we beat the crap out of some B1G school in a bowl. 8-5!

Watch out world - here we come!

Does the loss of Clemson's starting QB make it possible to go to there and win?

Duke,and Georgia Tech took a page out of the Rutgers school of scheduling, they played no-one out of conference, so who knows if either team is any good.

Last edited:

Wake - Win 24-10
Clemson - Loss 31-10
NC ST - Win 27-24
Duke - Loss 31-24
Pitt - Win 21-20
BC - Loss 21-17

The Vegas preseason over/under for regular season wins was 5.5.

I have always thought that was a reasonably objective place to start when thinking about talent, coaching, and SOS. The people who risk millions of dollars on that type of analysis thought we would be a 5 or 6 win team. I still think that's what we are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom