Reality | Syracusefan.com

Reality

Rocco

Watching you.
The chances that we were going to actually beat Clemson were very slim. I am an optimistic guy, but even I knew deep down that our D was going to get shredded by Boyd & Co. The only reason why I didn't hammer that 13.5 line was because I can't bring myself to betting against what I bleed, Orange. For the bettors, that may have been the line of the year. That is a team that I hope is playing for a NC this year. I will certainly be rooting for them the rest of the way. We (ACC) need some representation in with the Big Boys.

Ok, so we're 2-3 and have played 2 excellent football teams (NW & Clemson) and another good one (Penn St). Sure it would be nice to be 3-2 (win over Penn St), but we had no chance winning the other 2 games. The coaching and talent gap exposed us. The good news is that we're off to a good start with the 2014 recruiting class and already have quite a bit of young talent on our roster. Things go up from here. We still have a legit chance at winning 6-8 games this year (FSU the only real loss left on the schedule IMO), so let's not start hitting the panic button. There was alot of hope that David was going to knock off Goliath this past Saturday at the Dome, but it didn't happen. The Dome almost had 49,000 there and everyone who was there saw how the local fans can create a true 12th man advantage. That place was electric, even in the 3rd quarter when the game was clearly out of reach. I loved it.

All in all, as fans let's not lose focus. There are still 7 ACC games left to play and we can win most of them. The season is not shot. Sorry, the negativity was just driving me nuts. You could project what this board was going to look like today last week. We lost to Clemson, not BC or Pitt. Let's keep some perspective.

Go Orange.

Great post! Agree 100%, big test this weekend, I hope HCSS will be able to adapt and improve the team before NC State. He cannot be scared to make changes if they are needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

many on this board reasonably expected to go into Clemson 2-2 or 3-1. The next reasonable expectation was that Clemson like any game is winnable, but the likely outcome was a loss. For some reason now that it is reality people are upset. I have high hopes for this week as it will show if we are destined to be a bottom dweller this year or if we can push for a bowl bid. I am not happy we lost, but understand that the talent gap was way too big, and a brand new coaching staff is likely to be outcoached by a group of coaches who have their program where it is today.

Either Way reality sucks

It was great having Clemson at the dome, win or lose. The reality is that we are a decent team in the middle of their first season in a new conference with opportunities to succeed almost every weekend. As a fan, this is a season to revel in and celebrate every 1st game in the ACC. We can hold our own in this conference though the best teams may slap us around a bit, at least for a while.

Agree with the OP. The thing that appears to be different this year in the ACC is that Clemson and FSU are not just the best teams in the ACC, they are among the best in the country. Heck, maybe Miami as well.

In most years, the best team in the ACC has been at least one or two levels below the nation's elite, meaning they were still vulnerable to almost anyone in the conference. That's not to say that they still can't be upset this year, but if they actually ARE what they APPEAR to be now, games like this are going to happen even to decent squads, just like what happened to a perfectly respectable Ole Miss team vs. Alabama. In the past, a team like VT this year would be the class of the ACC. Actually, quite a bit like things were for you in the Big East in recent years. There were the better teams and the lesser teams, but nobody thought there was so much separation that they couldn't be in any given game.

Getting run like you did Saturday would be more of an embarrassment in the past. If Clemson takes care of business, there's nothing shameful about this game, any more that it would be shameful to get blown out by Oregon, Alabama, etc. That's a hard thing to wrap our heads around in the ACC, and probably for you guys coming out of the Big East.

Schools in the SEC like Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc take their whippings from Alabama, LSU, UF, etc, and then get back about their business of trying to win 8 games.

Maybe if I was a fan of one of the middle or lower tier teams, I'd be wistful of the days a Wake Forest or BC or any 3-4 loss team could compete for an ACC title, but objectively, that is bad for the conference. We need teams like Clemson is this year. They NEED to blow out teams they have a massive talent, coaching and institutional advantage over. It's talent of course, but I mean, I think Clemson has the highest paid assistant staff in the country. Forget about facilities, nutrition, training.

For you guys, it's about narrowing that gap over time. With committment it can be done. Just got to be realistic and just keep chopping wood. Try to get to 6 wins, and recruit your balls off.

Agree with the OP. The thing that appears to be different this year in the ACC is that Clemson and FSU are not just the best teams in the ACC, they are among the best in the country. Heck, maybe Miami as well.

In most years, the best team in the ACC has been at least one or two levels below the nation's elite, meaning they were still vulnerable to almost anyone in the conference. That's not to say that they still can't be upset this year, but if they actually ARE what they APPEAR to be now, games like this are going to happen even to decent squads, just like what happened to a perfectly respectable Ole Miss team vs. Alabama. In the past, a team like VT this year would be the class of the ACC. Actually, quite a bit like things were for you in the Big East in recent years. There were the better teams and the lesser teams, but nobody thought there was so much separation that they couldn't be in any given game.

Getting run like you did Saturday would be more of an embarrassment in the past. If Clemson takes care of business, there's nothing shameful about this game, any more that it would be shameful to get blown out by Oregon, Alabama, etc. That's a hard thing to wrap our heads around in the ACC, and probably for you guys coming out of the Big East.

Schools in the SEC like Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc take their whippings from Alabama, LSU, UF, etc, and then get back about their business of trying to win 8 games.

Maybe if I was a fan of one of the middle or lower tier teams, I'd be wistful of the days a Wake Forest or BC or any 3-4 loss team could compete for an ACC title, but objectively, that is bad for the conference. We need teams like Clemson is this year. They NEED to blow out teams they have a massive talent, coaching and institutional advantage over. It's talent of course, but I mean, I think Clemson has the highest paid assistant staff in the country. Forget about facilities, nutrition, training.

For you guys, it's about narrowing that gap over time. With committment it can be done. Just got to be realistic and just keep chopping wood. Try to get to 6 wins, and recruit your balls off.
We will keep trying, keep our noses to the grindstone, keep our chins up, etc. etc. But we will NEVER, EVER keep chopping wood.

Sorry - it's a Rutgers thing. ;)

I'll just add one more thing speaking of reality...the oddsmakers, the people that DO THIS FOR A LIVING had you guys at 4.5 wins this year. Yep, at 5 wins, you would be hitting the OVER on what was set by guys whose very jobs depend on being right. I saw a lot of 7 win predictions on the other thread, but how many people would stake their livelihood and their family's food on that.

The point being...reality. Tearing your hair out based on your team performing exactly as every non-biased observer expected just isn't rational or productive. Now if you guys win two or three games? Ok, start turning over cars.

But if you guys win five or even six games, that's a great victory for this program right now in a year of such transition, and something to build on. Stay calm.

Virginia Tech got beat easily by Alabama, but VPI's defense has played Alabama better than any other team Alabama has faced. The ACC middle class Miami, Virginia,Tech, Maryland, Georgia Tech are all good and if Clemson or Florida State run the table they will play Alabama for the NC because I think the Pac-12 will slap one loss on each program. I think the pecking order right now is 1. Alabama/SEC Champ 2. Stanford/Oregon 3. Clemson/Florida State/Miami 4. Ohio State.

Virginia Tech got beat easily by Alabama, but VPI's defense has played Alabama better than any other team Alabama has faced. The ACC middle class Miami, Virginia,Tech, Maryland, Georgia Tech are all good and if Clemson or Florida State run the table they will play Alabama for the NC because I think the Pac-12 will slap one loss on each program. I think the pecking order right now is 1. Alabama/SEC Champ 2. Stanford/Oregon 3. Clemson/Florida State/Miami 4. Ohio State.

Yeah, VT has had some problems, but I was at that VT-Alabama game. A very bizarre viewing experience, because while the score was Alabama winning "easily" it did NOT reflect the play happening on the field play to play. A couple return scores, otherwise VT was winning almost as many plays as they were losing.

Now obviously, you can say that the cushion affected how much Alabama actually pressed and how much they threw out on the field, but still, watching the game, the two teams were pretty much even most of the game.

Anyway, I'm kind of agreeing with you that I wouldn't sleep on VT. They miss FSU and Clemson, and if they can beat Pitt this Saturday, their schedule sets up beautifully, getting Miami after Miami plays FSU. I think there's a pretty good chance of the ACC having four ten-win teams this year, and maybe a 9-win team. Obviously you don't draw them all, but that's not necessarilly an easy conference to get 4 wins in, which you need to get bowl eligible if you challenge yourself outside the conference like you guys do.

Great post. A lot of good points. We will continue to narrow the gap, I really do feel that we can. The administration has finally realized that football drives the money truck; therefore, the most money should be heading that way right now (IPF, upgraded football wing, training rooms, etc). I think that Shafer can continue to improve that, but he is clearly dealing with some coaching woes and a few very weak positions (WR, K, Cover corners). I'm happy with our recruiting class, as well as the young talent on the roster, so with a few off-season coaching changes, I think we will see marked improvement. Holding out hope.

Maybe it's Syracuse that brings out the best in FSU, VT and Miami because the last time we were together (VT/UM) they were pretty darn good.

This is the type of conference I want to be in, top flight. I love it and the direction the ACC is going is what they thought they were going to be in when you took Miami/VT and BC. SU has to step up their game and I have faith that they will and that's the way it should be.

I'll just add one more thing speaking of reality...the oddsmakers, the people that DO THIS FOR A LIVING had you guys at 4.5 wins this year. Yep, at 5 wins, you would be hitting the OVER on what was set by guys whose very jobs depend on being right. I saw a lot of 7 win predictions on the other thread, but how many people would stake their livelihood and their family's food on that.

The point being...reality. Tearing your hair out based on your team performing exactly as every non-biased observer expected just isn't rational or productive. Now if you guys win two or three games? Ok, start turning over cars.

But if you guys win five or even six games, that's a great victory for this program right now in a year of such transition, and something to build on. Stay calm.

The voice of reason.

Im more upset at the manner in which we lost. We were out of it from the beginning, ie 3 plays i think it took them to score. I knew it was going to be a long day. The problem I had, was I was hungover from Friday night, and wanted no part of a bar saturday afternoon.

"Schools in the SEC like Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc take their whippings from Alabama, LSU, UF, etc, and then get back about their business of trying to win 8 games."

The big difference is that Syracuse plays Northwestern and PSU while those schools all play 3 to 4 patsies each year. Hell, a buddy of mine told me that Mississippi St has beat 1 BCS team OOC since 2000....1. Even in our darkest time during Robinson we did better than that.

Let's face it beating the crap out of WV and L'Ville gave us a reason to believe we could beat Clemson. Problem was, as some have pointed out, Clemson is simply far better and may be a NC.

Unlike the others, Clemson actually plays D. Boyd is also a cut above both Teddy and Geno at this point.

This is a good thing. It is far better than going into a game thinking we have zero chance to win.

Other than Keon, we are fairly healthy after playing three big-time teams. But whatever happens the rest of way, our future is bright Orange. Hunt is good and will get better and we are stoked at RB so adding a couple of real WR and we are off to the races.

I know it may sound silly to say at this point but I am very positive and excited for the future.
Go Cuse!

I think the confluences of getting out coached and out run got people to thinking that somehow the last 4 years of culture rebuilding and recruiting progress never took place. Clemson was better, but it was also very hard to watch some very bad mental mistakes by the players and coaches.

It will get better. Now say it and move on.

We have 2 possibly 3 good running backs coming back.
We have a QB coming back
2 linebackers and maybe one of the Jucos stepping in to start coming back
Our whole D line and backups-minus 1 or 2
All of our receivers except 2 or 3
2 tight ends- as soon as we remember how to use them

For a little Steinbeck, that's some fat of the land. Yes, we may lose our LT and Smith. But when was the last time you could say that about our team returning next year. Plus, all of our redshirts, and our recruiting class. Over on the recruiting site I have heard flutters of a 4 star receiver who may only commit near signing day and a few other really good 3's who want to do the same.

I want to give these coaches a chance to get their guys in here. I think we make some good strides this year and next and believe 2015 could be our punch in the mouth team.

Keep the faith

I think the confluences of getting out coached and out run got people to thinking that somehow the last 4 years of culture rebuilding and recruiting progress never took place. Clemson was better, but it was also very hard to watch some very bad mental mistakes by the players and coaches.

It will get better. Now say it and move on.

We have 2 possibly 3 good running backs coming back.
We have a QB coming back
2 linebackers and maybe one of the Jucos stepping in to start coming back
Our whole D line and backups-minus 1 or 2
All of our receivers except 2 or 3
2 tight ends- as soon as we remember how to use them

For a little Steinbeck, that's some fat of the land. Yes, we may lose our LT and Smith. But when was the last time you could say that about our team returning next year. Plus, all of our redshirts, and our recruiting class. Over on the recruiting site I have heard flutters of a 4 star receiver who may only commit near signing day and a few other really good 3's who want to do the same.

I want to give these coaches a chance to get their guys in here. I think we make some good strides this year and next and believe 2015 could be our punch in the mouth team.

Keep the faith

We already got the 4 star - KJ Williams. The recruiting class at receiver is ACC caliber. Problem is that our current WR's are not quite there yet - and may never improve to that level.

We already got the 4 star - KJ Williams. The recruiting class at receiver is ACC caliber. Problem is that our current WR's are not quite there yet - and may never improve to that level.

Cusian I don't think they will either. I think Broyld and Estime will be good slots and H backs. I am optimistic!

Th
Cusian I don't think they will either. I think Broyld and Estime will be good slots and H backs. I am optimistic!
That is the true weak link of this team. Doug just don't recruit well at that position and I think it will hurt us the rest if this season. I never thought I would say say this but I believe it's good thing that Doug moved on. I believe this staff can recruit much better. It's not coaching that's the issue it's simply a talent gap

"Schools in the SEC like Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc take their whippings from Alabama, LSU, UF, etc, and then get back about their business of trying to win 8 games."

The big difference is that Syracuse plays Northwestern and PSU while those schools all play 3 to 4 patsies each year. Hell, a buddy of mine told me that Mississippi St has beat 1 BCS team OOC since 2000....1. Even in our darkest time during Robinson we did better than that.

Yep, that is the scheduling road that leads to success. Wish you guys, BC and Virginia would get on board, at least while rebuilding. And it's not just those SEC schools, there is NO other conference besides the ACC that has teams schedule so aggressively, and they have nothing to show for it except the rep as the worst conference over the last 15 years. Overscheduling OOC just does not pay dividends, and it's been shown time and time again. It doesn't help reputation, recruiting, or fan support.

It's very simple...schedule one "showcase" OOC game that you can win against a BCS school or high mid-major (BYU, Boise, UCF, Cinci). That's not the same for everybody...Clemson can schedule Georgia..Wake Forest or Syracuse shouldn't. A team might lose this game and that's fine, but nobody should be scheduling games where they will be double digit underdogs. This would be Penn State OR Northwestern, but not both. And in years when ND is on the schedule, ND is this game.

Schedule two games against the MAC, Sun Belt, MWC etc teams. Maybe one with a respectable name (San Diego State, Southern Miss, ECU, Navy) and one not (Akron, Buffalo, Louisiana Tech, Arkansas St.)

Schedule one FCS team.

Plain and simple, that's the formula everyone else uses to great success. If your team is up to expectations, you go into conference play 3-1 or 4-0. Going 3-5 in conference gets you to a bowl game, going 5-3 is an 8 or 9 win season. With so many bowls, you simply MUST make bowl games to make any claim that you are a successful program.

And you build, build, build. As the program gets better, OOC is adjusted accordingly for more and more high profile games.

It's simply what works. Doing the opposite hasn't worked since the 1970s. No team in a generation has turned their program around by difficult out of conference scheduling.

I know most of the board vehemently disagrees with this, and I get it. A lot of FSU fans are still pissed that our OOC schedule isn't Florida, Oklahoma, USC and Texas A&M.

But it isn't really up to debate...it has been proven by history. I hope Syracuse gets it, as well as Virginia and BC. But if not, they will find themselves passed by schools like Pitt and NCSU and even Duke, who I think have finally figured it out. I have more confidence in Duke going to a bowl game this year than Syracuse, and that's crazy. But at the end of the day, in college football you simply can't sell a "good 5-7" versus a 7-6 with a bowl game in Florida. Nobody's buying.

Real good thread.

The strength of the ACC is very encouraging.

Right now we are where most on the board thought we would be.

And I think most still feel as I do that Terrel Hunt is a young guy who will develope into the kind of dual purpose QB that we have seeking since 1998.

And, the attendance at the Clemson game - along with the fun pre-game experience - tells me that CNY fans want high quality football and are want to watch it live.

I remain very optimistic.

Yep, that is the scheduling road that leads to success. Wish you guys, BC and Virginia would get on board, at least while rebuilding. And it's not just those SEC schools, there is NO other conference besides the ACC that has teams schedule so aggressively, and they have nothing to show for it except the rep as the worst conference over the last 15 years. Overscheduling OOC just does not pay dividends, and it's been shown time and time again. It doesn't help reputation, recruiting, or fan support.

It's very simple...schedule one "showcase" OOC game that you can win against a BCS school or high mid-major (BYU, Boise, UCF, Cinci). That's not the same for everybody...Clemson can schedule Georgia..Wake Forest or Syracuse shouldn't. A team might lose this game and that's fine, but nobody should be scheduling games where they will be double digit underdogs. This would be Penn State OR Northwestern, but not both. And in years when ND is on the schedule, ND is this game.

Schedule two games against the MAC, Sun Belt, MWC etc teams. Maybe one with a respectable name (San Diego State, Southern Miss, ECU, Navy) and one not (Akron, Buffalo, Louisiana Tech, Arkansas St.)

Schedule one FCS team.

Plain and simple, that's the formula everyone else uses to great success. If your team is up to expectations, you go into conference play 3-1 or 4-0. Going 3-5 in conference gets you to a bowl game, going 5-3 is an 8 or 9 win season. With so many bowls, you simply MUST make bowl games to make any claim that you are a successful program.

And you build, build, build. As the program gets better, OOC is adjusted accordingly for more and more high profile games.

It's simply what works. Doing the opposite hasn't worked since the 1970s. No team in a generation has turned their program around by difficult out of conference scheduling.

I know most of the board vehemently disagrees with this, and I get it. A lot of FSU fans are still pissed that our OOC schedule isn't Florida, Oklahoma, USC and Texas A&M.

But it isn't really up to debate...it has been proven by history. I hope Syracuse gets it, as well as Virginia and BC. But if not, they will find themselves passed by schools like Pitt and NCSU and even Duke, who I think have finally figured it out. I have more confidence in Duke going to a bowl game this year than Syracuse, and that's crazy. But at the end of the day, in college football you simply can't sell a "good 5-7" versus a 7-6 with a bowl game in Florida. Nobody's buying.
Lou I get what your saying and yes you may be right, but none of those SEC teams you referenced have won squat its been Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia. They all play 3 cupcakes because they play one another during the season. With the new college playoffs the committee is going to look at who you have played and your opponents have played. So the SEC will have to schedule better. The Pac-12, B1G, Big XII all are/will be playing 9 game conference schedules with the SEC not far behind. I think the ACC will eventually agree. Syracuse has over scheduled because of the fact we had pride in our program and the Big East sucked. We needed to schedule 5 non-conference games, and we played anybody practically. With 4 I think we will schedule 2 auto wins every year and 2 challenges most years. If the ACC goes to 9 conferences games I think we will schedule 2 auto-wins and 1 challenge game. As long as the top teams do well the conference will send teams to the playoffs.

Schedule one FCS team.

One thing you need to remember, and has probably already been posted in this thread, is that the type of schedule we have now was done years ago, when we had to try to overcome a weak Big East. Going forward, I would think (hope) we move toward the type of schedule you speak of - and that has been discussed frequently on this board.

Sadly, our WR's and DB's are in need of a talent upgrade. Out on the recruiting trail, we can actually say to 4 & 5 start recruits that they could possibly start, if not get significant playing time. Face it, we have to use it to our advantage now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom