really solid coaching | Syracusefan.com

really solid coaching

kcsu

Living Legend
I think that HCSS and his crew grew up today. This was possibly the best half time adjustments that i have seen from them. On D we took away the seam routes and went with an unbalanced rush forcing their hand. On O we started to Move Eric in the pocket just enough to allow our wr's time for a second move which created separation. I also thought that the punt by ED was brilliant. Solid job by the coaching staff today as i believe deserve the game ball.

I personally would've preferred we go for the 1st down on the play that Dungey punted, but can't argue w/ the final result
Given the down and distance, field position and time remaining, Punt was the right call. That being said, I don't mind going for the throat once in awhile.

I honestly agreed with every situational call made yesterday.

I didn't think there was really much to question yesterday. Pretty straight forward other than the quick kick. I,like most fans, would have preferred we went for it, but not a big deal.

I know some people were complaining about the draw plays, but I think that's pretty solid play calling - conservative certainly.

Wasn't a huge fan of that one series where we ran Morris twice off tackle and then put Dungey in a bad third and long.

Would like to see a lot more of bootleg - waggle designs getting Dungey on the run where he looks very comfortable.

That throw to Estime was crazy athletic. Wrong foot, sidearm, against his momentum and almost absolutely perfect. Don't recall having a QB who could make that throw since 1998.

Jake said:
I didn't think there was really much to question yesterday. Pretty straight forward other than the quick kick. I,like most fans, would have preferred we went for it, but not a big deal. I know some people were complaining about the draw plays, but I think that's pretty solid play calling - conservative certainly. Wasn't a huge fan of that one series where we ran Morris twice off tackle and then put Dungey in a bad third and long. Would like to see a lot more of bootleg - waggle designs getting Dungey on the run where he looks very comfortable. That throw to Estime was crazy athletic. Wrong foot, sidearm, against his momentum and almost absolutely perfect. Don't recall having a QB who could make that throw since 1998.

In stride too. Same with the TD to Ishmeal.

Dungey has and will continue to develop deft touch. The throw to Strickland, McFarlane and the 89 harder to Estime are all great examples. Something our guy Nassib could never do.

If he can bulk up and continue to grow mentally, sky's the limit.

Also wanted to say that I didn't really think we made great adjustments defensively as much as the intensity was turned up.

Mid way through the third, they were still going through us like a hot knife through butter, but that 90 yard td pumped up the boys and changed the game.

Agree that the front seven really seem to kick it up a notch physically after that TD. Seemed like the WF QB started to hear footsteps and was not too happy about the beating he was taking...

Also wanted to say that I didn't really think we made great adjustments defensively as much as the intensity was turned up.
Yeah, I think the execution was just better; plus Wake Forest shot themselves in the foot with an awful penalty.

Jake said:
Also wanted to say that I didn't really think we made great adjustments defensively as much as the intensity was turned up. Mid way through the third, they were still going through us like a hot knife through butter, but that 90 yard td pumped up the boys and changed the game.

I was thinking the natural reaction would be to send less guys at the QB and drop more into coverage. But that's not us. They ramped up the pressure and intensity.

Wasn't a huge fan of that one series where we ran Morris twice off tackle and then put Dungey in a bad third and long.
I believe that happened two or three times in the first half and I started questioning whether Lester was going to be able to do the job. Much different in the second half. Thinking they expected more from the running game and/or they didn't want to have Dungey throw too much. Really glad they opened it up.

I wouldn't call it half time adjustments. The D stepped up after the Brisley TD. They finished the game great. Before that TD the D gave up 95 yards in the 3rd Q on 2 drives that ended with a missed long FG (aided by a delay of game) and a punt thanks to a personal foul.

This wasn't aout Lester not being able to call the offense. This was about trying to get Eric comfortable and not putting too many pressure situations on his shoulders. When we went down, and it was obvious we were going to need our offense to be more aggressive, they let Eric open it up a a little. And, he responded, well I might add.

Claws on'so not dumb, he took away the run and forced us to go over the top. When we did, the running game got better because he had to adjust Wake's D.

It really was a fun game to watch From a coaching perspective yesterday, and I liked how we handled the game. I told my wife at halftime, to win this game we're going to have to let the young guy rip it, and they did.

Claws on'so not dumb, he took away the run and forced us to go over the top. When we did, the running game got better because he had to adjust Wake's D.

I think Wake didn't do all that great a job. Our RBs only had 21 carries which is low and averaged 4.8 per carry as a group. I think on the zone read Dungey made several wrong reads as well. The running game was there if we executed.

I think Wake didn't do all that great a job. Our RBs only had 21 carries which is low and averaged 4.8 per carry as a group. I think on the zone read Dungey made several wrong reads as well. The running game was there if we executed.
But we didn't execute a lot of the zone read, which you'd expect from an 18 year old. And we didn't score via the ground in the 1st. The potential was there to break them, but, we didn't. And we weren't going to in the 2nd half either. Not without an air threat anyway.

And looking at our cumulative rushing averages doesn't cut it either. 51 of our rushing yards came on two carries. The running game wasn't sustaining drives.

But we didn't execute a lot of the zone read, which you'd expect from an 18 year old. And we didn't score via the ground in the 1st. The potential was there to break them, but, we didn't. And we weren't going to in the 2nd half either. Not without an air threat anyway.

And looking at our cumulative rushing averages doesn't cut it either. 51 of our rushing yards came on two carries. The running game wasn't sustaining drives.

I wasn't counting the Lewis run on those averages. IMO the lack of a running game was more our execution than Wake's D, which you shouldn't credit the D for. Even taking away the Morris run (which would be weird to do) and taking away the goaline run (which hurts your average even if your score) the RBs still averaged 3.47 per carry on only 19 carries which isn't horrible. The running game was there.

I wasn't counting the Lewis run on those averages. IMO the lack of a running game was more our execution than Wake's D, which you shouldn't credit the D for. Even taking away the Morris run (which would be weird to do) and taking away the goaline run (which hurts your average even if your score) the RBs still averaged 3.47 per carry on only 19 carries which isn't horrible. The running game was there.
Why wouldn't you count the Lewis run? Because he's an HB? It's a rushing attempt. It's all part of our offense, it's just how we choose to run it.

Yes there were opportunities to be successful in the running game, but it wasn't sustaining drives. We got chunk plays, not consistent, and it came out of misdirection a significant amount of the time. Sure it was there every 4th carry, but, unless we took one to the house it wouldn't have mattered.

If we didn't get more aggressive in the 2nd and start throwing on 1st and 2nd, we weren't scoring.

It's our execution as opposed to their D? You could say that about any football game in the history of football.
Their defense made tackles and put us in bad positions when we leaned on the run.

I just want the coaches to allow Dungey to throw it more. Also I think more option plays would be good because it's seems Dungey flourishes in those plays.

I disagreed with the decision to punt.
Risk: Lose 28 yards of field position.
Reward: Game over, we win.

That's my calculation, as well. We need to value possessions more than 20 yards here or there. I hope it's not a sign we're going continue the pattern of punting on 4th on the other side of the field like last year. Having said that, great victory.

There's 5:25 on the clock and we're on their 40 with a 10 point lead. If we get that first down they still have 3 TO's. It's not game over. 5:30 minutes is an eternity in football.

The decision is not black and white, right or wrong. There's theories behind both decisions. I tend to agree with the one we made.

Why wouldn't you count the Lewis run? Because he's an HB? It's a rushing attempt. It's all part of our offense, it's just how we choose to run it.

Yes there were opportunities to be successful in the running game, but it wasn't sustaining drives. We got chunk plays, not consistent, and it came out of misdirection a significant amount of the time. Sure it was there every 4th carry, but, unless we took one to the house it wouldn't have mattered.

If we didn't get more aggressive in the 2nd and start throwing on 1st and 2nd, we weren't scoring.

It's our execution as opposed to their D? You could say that about any football game in the history of football.
Their defense made tackles and put us in bad positions when we leaned on the run.

If we count the Lewis run then you make my point even better. We were able to find yards against Wake. Saying they took away the run is incorrect. They didn't put us in bad positions. We weren't in 3rd and long often.

We wouldn't have won the game if we just continued to only run it. We needed points and had to open it up. However saying a team took away the run when they give up 150 yards doesn't make much sense to me. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree.